Monday, July 20, 2026

Reconsiderations: Death and Resurrection

Needless to say, I've been very remiss in writing new posts for this blog, even within the context of the less rigorous schedule I proposed two months ago. I wish I had a better excuse beyond "I'm busy revising Thousand Suns for a second edition," except that's the truth. In fact. I've been so busy with that that I haven't even been posting as often at Grognardia Games Direct as I have been. On the plus side, the first draft of the second edition is nearly done, so I at least having something to show for my lack of attention here. With any luck, the first draft will be completed before September and external playtesting can begin in earnest.

Today, though, I want to return to my Reconsiderations series, since the first entry in it was very well received and generated a lot of good comments. My apologies for not responding to most of them, but, well, I've already explained that my attention was – and remains – elsewhere. 

Longtime readers may recall that the Dwimmermount campaign was predicated on several things, the most important of which was that it explicitly megadungeon-centric. At the time, which is to say the early days of the Old School Renaissance, there was a widespread belief that Dungeons & Dragons was born in the megadungeon – or the "campaign dungeon," as some preferred to call it – and that any attempt to play, let alone understand, old school D&D, as we were all attempting to do, required that you run a megadungeon campaign. And so I did, because I hoped that doing so would help me better understand aspects of D&D's history and design that had eluded me when I was a callow youth.

Another important foundation of the Dwimmermount campaign – and indeed my entire philosophy of coming to grips with OD&D – was the principle that "D&D is always right." By that, I simply meant that, despite the claims of its detractors over the decades, D&D's design was not haphazard but intentional. What's there in its rulebooks is there for a reason and we'd do well to understand this before tinkering with them unduly. This is not the same thing as saying that everything that's in D&D's rules always works to our satisfaction (or even the satisfaction of its designers), only that, before casting aside something about the game you don't like, consider for a moment the possibility that that something might, in fact, be a load-bearing wall.

That's why, during that campaign, I permitted the use of the spell raise dead, even though I was philosophically opposed to it. When I say "philosophically opposed," I mean that I initially accepted the idea, common in the early OSR, that old school Dungeons & Dragons was inherently and unalterably high lethality, with characters dying left and right. "Fantasy fucking Vietnam" was how it was sometimes described. Likewise, the renewed emphasis on pulp fantasy – strongly championed on this blog – was seen as requiring a style of play in which death was both omnipresent and permanent

Consequently, I wanted to embrace this ethos in the Dwimmermount campaign, but doing so contradicted "D&D is always right," so I, with some reluctance, allowed the use of raise dead. I vividly remember that there was some disappointment, among my readers that I'd "caved" on this point, since I'd previously written about my discomfort with the spell and how I felt it ran counter to the "mood" I was trying to bring to the Dwimmermount campaign. Even so, I permitted it, because the rules did and, as I already said repeatedly, I wanted wrestle with OD&D on its own terms – and, from the beginning, Dungeons & Dragons has had a spell that enabled the restoration of characters to life.

I adopted a similar mindsight when I refereeing my decade-plus Empire of the Petal Throne campaign, House of Worms. Because its underlying rules so closely mirror those of OD&D, EPT also includes several means to bring back the dead, including a spell accessible to player characters. During the course of the campaign, only one player character ever died – Aíthfo hiZnáyu – but he did so twice, which is certainly an unusual distinction! I permitted it, because the rules allowed it and also because the other players, knowing this, chose to make an effort to resurrect Aíthfo, in the process creating some very memorable adventures in Tékumel.

Still, I remained somewhat sheepish about all of this. My innate sense of consistency ensured I'd try to play by the principle ("D&D is always right") I'd laid down at the start of the Dwimmermount campaign, but I did so through gritted teeth. On some level, I shared the disappointment of readers who felt I'd "wimped out" by allowing the use of raise dead. Dwimmermount was, as I've noted, born out of my love of pulp fantasy of a particular kind that did not include easy resurrection in this fashion. Was I betraying its inspirations by being so casual about its use? At the time, I thought so. Even a few years ago, I groused about my decision.

Recently, though, I've come to accept my decision without any reservations. I've come to realize that I did the right thing in both cases by allowing the resurrections. My feeling increasingly is that there's altogether too much whining about how, on the one hand, "save-or-die is unfair" or "level drain is cruel" and, on the other hand, "healing is too commonplace" and "life restoration should be harder, if not impossible." My way of thinking nowadays is that these two extremes – which, to be fair, most players don't espouse – are mirror images of one another, each being founded in not taking Dungeons & Dragons as it is and has been from the beginning and instead substituting a different game in its place. 

That's not a unique sin; I'm as guilty of it as anyone. However, with the benefit of some distance, I've come to realize that many common complaints about D&D (or any roleplaying game) come from a failure in looking at the game design as a whole and instead fixating on only some of its parts. Is save-or-die really unfair? In a game where there are innumerable means of returning a character to life, I don't think so. In most cases, death in Dungeons & Dragons is just a setback and the rules provide a myriad of means by which to overcome it. Why not accept that?

That's more or less where I am right now on the question of death and resurrection in D&D and its derivatives and descendants.

19 comments:

  1. can you elaborate what do you think was gained game-wise with your decision to keep raise dead?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old school play, at least as it's become popularly understood, engenders a certain fear and even paranoia in many players. They worry that every chest and door could be trapped and every monster possessed of some unexpectedly lethal attack. Even though this was never true (now or in the past), it's not part of the old school ethos for many players, often to the point of absurdity.

      Raise dead and other means to overcome death and debilitating effects thus serve as a "safety net." Players are more likely to take risks and generally behave in an adventuresome fashion when they know that one bad decision or one bad roll isn't the end of their character.

      I know a lot of old school fans hate this approach and feel it's somehow "weak" or "childish," but I've never really shared that perspective.

      Delete
    2. A similar problem exists with one of my favorite games (or at least it did back when I was actively running it): Call of C'thulhu.

      The hype was your character would die or go insane by the end of the third session. People believed the hype. Thus they did not connect with a character. They did not invest in a character. And in extreme examples, they made "joke" characters to minimize even any remote appearance of valuing the game or the character.

      *That* is the impact of injecting too much realism into a game that requires at least some nodding acceptance of main character tropes.

      - M

      Delete
    3. Yes, I have seen that dynamic in D&D and other games. It's a strange phenomenon.

      Delete
  2. I think Raise Dead should require dutiful devotion to a diety (and massive donations) long before it's actually required. Also it should be a big deal ritual at the temple and not some spell fired off in the field. So you have to get the body back in a certain amount of time and they have to be donating and sticking to their alignment or no dice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have two issues with raise dead, one theoretical, one practical.

    theory, how do you change kings? death is always a good way for, at the least, the next in line to start lining. without it, a bad king could cling on forever. a baddie could just snip off a finger, and be restored by a loyal minion when he is blasted. you need finality,

    and practical. Raise dead, etc was supposed to be expensive, rare, etc. but players love their level 2 moron as much as they do their level 17 lord, and so want to bring him back just as much. and the party feels obligated ("we would want Jim to do it for us!") which wastes time.

    I play DCC these days, and because of schedules, we never get past the funnels, where you do not even get unconscious, or death saves, etc. and it is great. players accept it, and away we go, with Tim, Him, Bim, Grim, etc as the dice decide.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never seen the spells as a way to cheat a natural death through ageing.The practicalities are that you still need someone who wants to cast raise dead on your behalf.

      Delete
    2. Raise dead doesn't bring you back when you exceed your maximum age (in AD&D 1E, at least). It can't bring you back if the body is lost, destroyed, or seriously incomplete.

      Delete
    3. Given the level of violence in campaigns, how many regimes changes are due to dear old dad getting to 100?

      Delete
  4. I would argue that "omnipresent and permanent" death is not actually particularly characteristic of the pulp fantasy genre, at least with regards to the protagonists. They often have bold and harrowing scrapes with death, but never simply die from a stray arrow shot.

    Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG (which explicitly strives to emulate the pulp fantasy literature that inspired D&D) makes very effective use of a Luck statistic that can be spent to increase a die roll (e.g., a vitally important saving throw). This allows the game to be ostensibly high lethality but puts some control in the players' hands for enabling the kind of narrow escapes that the genre is full of. I'm normally not a big fan of "metacurrencies" but in this game it works exceptionally well, I believe.

    DCC RPG also does not have a raise dead spell because it doesn't want resurrection to be a mundane transaction ("OK, who's paying the 2,500 gp for the rez at the church this time?") but it explicitly tells you that it's fine to make such potent magic available as part of a quest. And one of the early DCC RPG adventure modules was written as an illustration of this idea; the adventure is a journey into the underworld to try to win back a deceased companion from Death himself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "That's not a unique sin; I'm as guilty of it as anyone. However, with the benefit of some distance, I've come to realize that many common complaints about D&D (or any roleplaying game) come from a failure in looking at the game design as a whole and instead fixating on only some of its parts. Is save-or-die really unfair? In a game where there are innumerable means of returning a character to life, I don't think so. In most cases, death in Dungeons & Dragons is just a setback and the rules provide a myriad of means by which to overcome it. Why not accept that?"

    Well put.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember playing when I was nine years old. Hear me out. We learned to play in daycare; one of the providers was an older guy who took us under our wing and helped us puzzle out the Moldvay basic set, eventually becoming the group's DM.

    So there we were, first level noobs, deep in the bowels of a dungeon. Through misadventure, poor planning (did I mention we were preteens), and bad dice rolls, we had a near TPK. The two remaining survivors, low on hit points and rations, had dragged the bodies into a small room and barred the doors. All seemed lost, until one of the PCs noticed a small ring half buried in the dirt floor.

    Through various tests and intuitions, and a *lot* of hinting from the DM (we were in daycare, dammit!), we determined that it was a ring of wishes with one wish left.

    With careful consideration, and a lot of caution, the ring finder carefully worded a wish that brought the rest of the party to life and at full health. A cheer went up! We were back, baby, and ready to kick some goblin butt! (I've been chasing that high ever since.)

    Isn't it amazing that the DM "randomly" rolled for treasure, and just randomly landed on one of the few things that could have saved the game for us? A few judicious miracles can sometimes make the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As someone who most often plays the BX version of D&D I can safely say that the repercussions of raise dead and reincarnation were never something I ever worried about. As per the Monster section, the highest level human characters are 3HD (third level fighters). As such, if PCs wanted to have access to those kinds of spells, they had to go on a grand quest to find someone/something to accomplish it. When they did, it was usually a highlight of the campaign.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Likewise, the renewed emphasis on pulp fantasy – strongly championed on this blog – was seen as requiring a style of play in which death was both omnipresent and permanent."

    How often did pulp writers actually kill off their heroes? Death was omnipresent for NPCs. With maybe an exception or two, I'm not sure it's accurate to say it was omnipresent for main characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're correct, of course. The point I was trying to make was that characters died in pulp fantasy stories fairly often – many of Conan's supporting cast did not survive, for example – and that seeing that inspired a lot of us in the OSR to look for ways to present the game as being more lethal. It's a slightly distorted view of the source material, to be sure, but that's part of the origin of this shift in emphasis.

      Delete
    2. I agree, and I was on that bandwagon for a while myself. But I think OSR purism has dropped in popularity and influence because it effectively removes large chunks of the game. If your characters don't survive until they have access to resurrection, or if resurrection is not available at some point, the mid- to high-level game disappears, along with the domain game and any use of the planes as part of your setting. Games end up being one-shots, and you miss out of campaigns.

      PCs in pre-Unearthed Arcana D&D are pretty fragile at the lower levels, and I've had to scale down the lethality in some of my games to make sure at least some of them progress enough to be more durable. The fact is, players become invested in their characters long before they are high enough level to access resurrection. Later editions react to this by making low level PCs more durable, but I think the chargen rules in the Unearthed Arcana show that Gygax identified this as a problem in his home games, and felt a need to address it, during the 1e era.

      Delete
  9. My general stance is you can do a lot of damage to D&D as a game if you push too hard story or simulation. That by the time the characters reach the level where 9th level clerics are in reach for Raise Dead, which is likely 4th level or so, they will be deeply attached to the PCs. The ability to bring them back from mishap is good game design. Reducing good game design on the chance that it interferes with some campaign settings simulation doesn’t feel right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. There's a difference between a character of 6 stats on half a sheet of paper or one with an 8 page backstory and a 12 page character sheet.

      Delete
  10. Death was omnipresent in the literature for everyone but the protagonist... especially for their allies. Read just about any Conan story.

    That said, indulge OD&D, you had raise dead and rings of many, many wishes, so for characters of middling level and above, death was just another basic obstacle.

    In the end, it is a game, not a literary or historical emulator. There are plenty of those out there, now, for those who prefer that sort of play.

    ReplyDelete