Thursday, December 17, 2020

Grognard's Grimoire: Eidolon

 Eidolon (Old School Essentials)

An eidolon by Zhu Bajiee

AC 4 [15], HD 4** (18hp), Att 2 × touch (1d4 + fear), THAC0 16 [+3], MV 90' (30') / 180' (60') flying, SV D10 W11 P12 B13 S14, ML 12, AL Chaotic, XP 175, NA 1d6 (1d6), TT C

An eidolon is the undead spirit of a cleric who died while in the grips of despair, no longer finding solace in True Faith. Eidolons can only be hit by magical or silver weapons. They are immune to sleep, charm, and hold spells, as well as effects that affect living creatures (e.g. poison). Clerics have the same chance of turning eidolons as they do of turning wraiths.

An eidolon appears as a ghostly, floating figure in a tattered monastic habit. In combat, the eidolon will attempt to strike with both its spectral hands against a single target. If both attacks succeed, the target must make a saving throw against spells or suffer the effects of the 1st-level cleric spell cause fear, in addition to the damage rolled. Clerics save against this effect at –2.

3 comments:

  1. Hi James. I love this bestiary entries, but I need to ask this... Do you recomend Old School Essentials? I tried to search something in your blog about the game (apart from this bestiary entries) and I did not found anything. I'm interested in the game, but I'm comfortable with another retroclones so... What's your opinion, in general?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My general opinion is that OSE is a very good emulation of Moldvay/Cook presented in a straightforward, very easy to use fashion. Its main virtue is its presentation. If you already have a retro-clone you like, there's absolutely no need to adopt OSE.

      Delete
  2. I love these entries too.

    I have not read much of OSE, but I have used the monster manual, I think it's great. The descriptions are short an evocative. The bullet points for special information are short and clear, with bold titles which help you find which bullet point need at a glance. If you are not playing and just want to read about different monsters, the AD&D monster manual is the best for color; but if you are at the table and want to know what a monster does without wading through a long description, I think OSE beats AD&D, Labrinth Lord, ACK and any other Old school game I have looked at.

    ReplyDelete