Wednesday, December 13, 2023

The Armies of the King-Emperor

I'm still working – slowly – on Secrets of sha-Arthan. Right now, I'm in the "chipping away everything that doesn't look like an elephant" stage and, while progress is definitely being made, it's taking much longer than I expected. Some of that is a function of my perfectionism, but some of it also a function of my age. I'm not as given to stretches of manic creativity as I once was. Consequently, I move at a much more languid pace.

Fortunately, Zhu Bajiee has been ably assisting me in this difficult birthing process, providing me with remarkable illustrations that bring my crazy ideas to life, like this one.

This image is part of a larger one that depicts soldiers in the service of the King-Emperor of Inba Iro. In the back, there's a signal-captain, with his distinctive plumed helmet, ceremonial sword, and teshal (trumpet). Standing in front are two heavy infantrymen. The soldier to the left is a Ga'andrin mercenary from Tlar, clad in a sculpted Ironian-style cuirass, augmented with plates. The soldier to the right is an elite Chomachto halberdier and is attired similarly. 

I have come to realize that, as with many creative endeavors, there's no real timetable for the completion of Secrets of sha-Arthan. It'll be done when it's done, no matter how many times I think I can accurately predict a conclusion to my work. So long as I continue to enjoy the ride, I can't really complain.

1 comment: