Wednesday, May 8, 2024

Retrospective: Raiders of the Lost Ark (Atari)

Though I've generally kept these Retrospective posts to looking back at roleplaying and boardgames that I thought worthy of discussion, I have occasionally turned the spotlight onto computer and video games as well. In the '80s, I never owned a "home computer," as we used to call them in those ancient days, but I did own the Atari Video Computer System (VCS), later dubbed the Atari 2600. I also had an enviable collection of game cartridges for it, two of which I think merit a post: Adventure, about which I've previously written, and Raiders of the Lost Ark. 

Released in 1982, Raiders of the Lost Ark was (obviously) a tie-in product for the action-adventure film of the same name released the year before. Historically, tie-in products like this tend to be mediocre at best, with most being little more than vehicles for making a quick buck by association with a popular book, TV show, or movie. By all rights, that's what one might reasonably expect of this game cartridge too – except that it's actually one of the more complex, imaginative, and enjoyably frustrating games Atari ever made for its first game console. 

It's that enjoyable frustration that's the main reason I still have such affection for the game. Strange though it might be for some to imagine, I actually enjoyed video and computer games whose difficulty – or at least perplexity – made me want to tear my hair out. Indeed, their difficulty was a big part of their appeal, because it suggested that, if I managed to beat them, I'd actually achieved something. It's similar to why, as kids, my friends and I enjoyed testing our wits against a Killer DM. Sure, it was tough and often downright unfair, but to win against such odds felt like an accomplishment and we cherished those moments way more than easy wins.

Raiders of the Lost Ark was not an easy win. Completing it successfully took a lot of thought and patience, not to mention above average hand-eye coordination, owing to its unusual control set-up and the finicky nature of said controls. In very broad strokes, the game recreated Indy's adventures in search of the Map Room that will lead him to the resting place of the fabled Lost Ark of the Covenant. The resting place of the Ark is randomly determined with each game reset, meaning that, should you fail, you can't necessarily carry over anything you've learned in your previous attempts to a new one. In addition, Indy requires the aid of certain items he can find hidden in various locations and these, too, are not always in the same location. 

This randomness is only one part of what made the game so frustrating to play. Another is that it required both joysticks to play. One was used in the expected way, allowing the player to control Indy's movement and actions on-screen. The other was used to control inventory. Unlike Adventure, which only allowed the player to possess a single item at a time, Raiders of the Lost Ark let you possess several, as if Indy had a backpack filled with gear. By moving a cursor among the items you possessed, the player could the one he wished Indy to use at any given time. This was very cool and quite innovative at the time, but it could also be demanding in play, especially if you had to quickly switch between items.

However, the main reason the game was so frustrating was the sparseness of its manual, which didn't tell the player much about how the goals of the game could be achieved. Instead, you were largely left to your own devices to figure out how all of the game's elements worked toward a successful conclusion. The manual includes descriptions of most of the locations and items found in the game, but not all of them. Likewise, it does include "helpful hints," but, again, these don't answer every question a player might have. "After all, what's an adventure game without surprises?" the manual asks. Consequently, even if you read the manual cover to cover, there are still very important aspects of play that you can only discover through play.

This is what made the game so enjoyably frustrating to me. To this day, more than forty years later, I can still recall the joy I felt when I first stumbled across an item not listed in the manual the possession of which was essential to finding the location of the Ark. Similarly, I remember when, in the midst of foolishly falling off a cliff to my doom – I wasn't quick enough in making use of the parachute in my inventory – I noticed something for the first time that I would later use to solve another mystery in the game. Neither of these discoveries were in the manual; I could only learn of them through trial and (much) error. 

By the standards of today, Raiders of the Lost Ark is unbelievably primitive. Heck, by the standards of games released just a year or two later, it's primitive. Yet, for all that, it remains one of my favorite video games of all time, because it challenged me just enough that I couldn't rack up an easy win but without so dispiriting me that I gave up completely. Not coincidentally, this is my ideal when it comes to dungeon design, too, so perhaps I was the perfect target audience for this game. This is a foundational game design for me and I suspect I've been chasing the high of enjoyable frustration I gave me ever since. 

Indy notices something as he falls to his pixelated doom

14 comments:

  1. Ahhh yes... I don't think we ever fully solved this one back in the day... out ten year old minds simply weren't up to the task without cheats or an older sib to show us the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Frustratingly hard, indeed. So much so, that my 9-year-old-brain couldn't even figure out how to play the game or what the objectives where. We owned a 2600, but I cannot remember if this game was in the respectable collection of cartridges that we owned personally, or that we rented the game (we had a local toy store where you could rent cartridges for a day or two).

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Enjoyably frustrating" is right. The ambition on display with this game -- the willingness to stretch the abilities of the platform (and the expectations of the players) -- impressed me in the 80s, and it still impresses me today. I never finished it myself -- even once it was explained to me -- but I still respect the challenge. It's also interesting that the designers somehow felt a puzzle game with a primitive story was most appropriate for an Indiana Jones game, rather than the primitive action oriented design of, say, The Empire Strikes Back game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Replying to myself... the "Flying Saucer Mesa" (and the occasional appearance of the yar from Yar's Revenge) is an interesting design choice, given George Lucas's own ideas. In the movie, Belloq says the Ark is "a transmitter...a radio for talking to God." A few years ago, a transcript surfaced of a pre-production conversation among Lucas, Spielberg, and Larry Kasdan, and Lucas's enthusiasm for Eric Von Daniken and Ancient Astronauts is evident (long before Kingdom of the Crystal Skull). I don't know whether Lucas ever talked to the Atari people, but it's an interesting inclusion nonetheless.

      Delete
  4. I never did figure out the madman in the bazar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a very similar experience as you did with this game. Playing this as a 7 year old was like exploring a cryptic, barely understood world (not an unusual experience for a 7 year old, really). The manual offered some tantalizing clues, but so much was discovered by trial and error. I think I had the same sudden realization that you did when falling off the cliff, and what a sense of achievement when investigating it paid off! But then there were times like when we stared at the screen for half an hour fruitlessly waiting for a yar (from Yar's Revenge) to show up, as the manual seemed to imply.

    Besides the cryptic manual, we relied on the schoolchild grapevine of rumors and misremembered hints. Maybe someone had a cousin who had played the game and got a little bit farther, but the tips were transmitted through a game of telephone. Before, the Internet or even widely available hint books, this was the only way we could get clues and hints, and it led to the game feeling murky and indeterminate and in a way, larger than it actually was. (I've played these old games as an adult and I've often been shocked that games that I seemed to spend literal months playing as a child can be completed in 20 minutes!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. >
      > " not an unusual experience for a 7 year old, really "
      >
      I fully agree.


      >
      > " I've played these old games as an adult and I've often been shocked that games that I seemed to spend literal months playing as a child can be completed in 20 minutes! "
      >
      Nope. I literally need the same amount (or more) of time to complete a 4-level game of 'Donkey Kong' as I did as a child. Perhaps this means I've gotten really old, or never grew up in the first place to begin with. Oh, well.

      Delete
  6. Riddle of the Sphinx was more my speed in this genre.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Having a second person to handle inventory sounds like an interesting way to play. Finally, a use for your annoying little sibling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used my sibs to go to every screen of Pitfall so I could map every obstacle and tunnel and record it in my stenographer's notebook.

      Delete
  8. >
    > because it challenged me just enough
    >
    Oh, although that didn't apply to me for this specific game, it does apply for me (for games) in general principle.

    A game should be challenging but not impossible. For example, each time you play the game you should get just a little further into it without making it seem like an impossible task to finish it. So that when you 'die', you're going to be like: "Damn that game ! I'm gonna try again !".

    ReplyDelete
  9. You needed equal parts of intelligence, skill and ocd to finish Raiders.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My older brother who was my gateway into D&D beat this game and it was like solving an Alien Language back then because of it's abstraction.

    Adventure, while not as tough as Indy, was back in the day if you account for the hidden Easter Eggs.

    I can still remember my brother climbing through our bedroom window with Haunted House (which he wasn't supposed to buy) after a long ride to and from Toys R Us.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Damn, I forgot all about this game but reading this and seeing the screenshot took me right back. Completely forgot about having to use two joysticks though. But I do remember falling down the cliff. Good times.

    ReplyDelete