Friday, December 26, 2008

Xothique

Kieran Forest has started a new blog dedicated to the development of his upcoming Swords & Wizardry/OD&D setting, Xothique. As its name suggests, it's based on Clark Ashton Smith's Zothique cycle, but uses a different spelling to make it clear that it's not a canonical take on these classic weird tales, but rather one suited for use as a gaming setting. I have to admit I'm pretty excited by the prospect of this. I'm a huge fan of Smith -- he's probably my favorite of the Big Three Weird Tales writers, for reasons I've mentioned before -- and I once pursued a license to produce a series of RPGs based on Smith's works. I eventually abandoned the idea, because of the odd relationship between CASiana Literary Enterprises (Smith's literary executors) and Arkham House, but that's probably a topic for another day.

In any case, I wish Kieran great success with this project and will certainly be following it with interest.

6 comments:

  1. Hi James! I'm glad that I've piqued your interest. I'll try my best to do Smith's work justice. And I would love any input that you have to offer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A Xothique campaign setting using S&W? I am highly interested. CAS is also my favorite of the big three Weird Tales authors. With characters such as Satampra Zeiros, Malygris the Magician the sleepy Zothaqqua and numerous necromancers from his tales of Zothique, I think CAS wrings out of Pulp exactly what I want in my gaming.

    If you like CAS, and don't mind much more explicit sex and violence, check out Brian McNaughtons The Throne of Bones, Liron Wolfbaiter is a favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I would love any input that you have to offer.

    From what I've seen so far, it sounds like you're doing pretty well on your own, but I'd be happy to help in any way that I can.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Mike RE: McNaughton's 'Throne of Bones' -- great collection that captures the spirit of CAS' Zothique.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I once pursued a license to produce a series of RPGs based on Smith's works. I eventually abandoned the idea, because of the odd relationship between CASiana Literary Enterprises (Smith's literary executors) and Arkham House, but that's probably a topic for another day.

    Just as well, IMHO. It’s always better to go the Star Wars† route and be inspired by rather than license. Sure, it occasionally works out very well, but it isn’t worth the risks.

    (†the first movie—prior to its subtitle—rather than the franchise)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It’s always better to go the Star Wars† route and be inspired by rather than license. Sure, it occasionally works out very well, but it isn’t worth the risks.

    Unsurprisingly, I agree. I came to the same conclusion myself and it's been a guiding principle of any gaming projects I've worked on since then.

    ReplyDelete