Thursday, August 18, 2011

The Ads of Dragon: The Man of Gold

Issue #88 (August 1984) included the following advertisement:
Empire of the Petal Throne and Tékumel were things I'd long heard about from other, usually older, gamers, but I'd never actually seen anything relating to them by the time this ad came out. So, I was greatly interested in getting hold of a copy of The Man of Gold and reading it. Oddly, I never found a copy in any bookstore I visited, but I did find a copy at one my local public libraries about a year later and happily devoured, hoping to learn at last what all the fuss was about.

I wish I could say that that first reading of The Man of Gold turned me into a Tékumel fan, but it didn't. It would take many more years before it finally started to click for me.

4 comments:

  1. It seems every other fantasy novel included a map - MoG did not. A map may have helped it's appeal outside the EPT crowd. On the other hand matching up events of the novel with places and things from the RPGs was part of it's appeal to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny, I wonder if this is the ad that had me looking for MoG. I know I bought it at the B. Dalton's that used to be in Westwood, but maybe I just came across it by serendipity. Regardless, I loved it and couldn't put it down. For someone like me with strong interests in History, languages, and religions, this was like manna from Heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So...did it have an actual man made of gold in it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. So...did it have an actual man made of gold in it?

    That would be telling.

    ReplyDelete