Saturday, April 1, 2023

A Grognardia Shout-Out

There's apparently a D&D movie in the theaters, something of which I was dimly aware but never took much serious interest in, for reasons I've elucidated in the past. Consequently, I haven't paid attention to the commentary surrounding it and thus would have completely missed out on Ed Park's review/meditation on "the magic and melancholy of Dungeons & Dragons" had it not been pointed out to me. Park's article has much to recommend it. For my present purposes, though, its main virtue is its reference (and link) to this blog in its third paragraph.

As worldly fame goes, it's not much, but, right now, I'll take it.

6 comments:

  1. Your link to the review actually points to your blog post not to Ed Park's article :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for pointing that out. I've fixed the link now.

      Delete
    2. What a beautifully written article (as one would expect from the New Yorker) and what a great tribute to you.

      When the New Yorker describes your work as 'smartly written micro-essays' you know you've got something.

      Delete
  2. Wow, no less than the New Yorker. You made it to the big time, James.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's only been in the last few weeks that I've discovered and devoured your blog for my Gamma World research. Now I've started reading your articles outside of GW, and just came across this one. You're now only two degrees of separation from the best D&D movie ever made. His assessment of the quality of your blog is accurate. I'm very much enjoying my own rabbit hole dungeon crawl in the Land of Grognardia. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete