Monday, January 15, 2024

Fountainhead

While it's still possible to argue in good conscience about the precise origins or start date of the Old School Renaissance, I don't think there can be any serious debate that the major intellectual impetus behind the early OSR was the reexamination of original (1974) Dungeons & Dragons. That's certainly how I first became aware of the growing network of forums and blogs that formed the nucleus of one the most imaginatively dynamic movements within the hobby in some time. 

Of particular importance in this regard is Finarvyn's OD&D Discussion forum, better known simply as ODD74. At the suggestion of Philotomy Jurament (of "Philotomy's OD&D Musings" fame), whom I met through the Troll Lord Games forums, I registered at ODD74 in early December 2007 and began my own personal journey into reexamining OD&D.

Or perhaps I should say examining OD&D, because, while I had owned copies of the Little Brown Books and supplements since the mid-1980s, I'd never really read them carefully, let alone used them at the table. They were, at best, historical curiosities that had value as collector's items and little else. To my way of thinking at the time, OD&D had long ago been superseded by several later editions of the game, most notably Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, which I held in especially high esteem. Through my interactions with the many knowledgeable and thoughtful gamers who posted at ODD74, I began to see just who wrong I was in thinking this way.

Among the many lessons I learned over the course of the next several months, during which I read and posted to the forum with obsessive regularity, the first was this: old ≠ bad. That might seem like a small thing or even an obvious thing, but, sad to say, it wasn't, at least to me. I'd fallen prey to the consumerist myth that newer is better, buttressed, no doubt, by the desire of RPG companies to sell me new editions of games I already owned and enjoyed. That's why I'd dutifully bought both the second edition of AD&D in 1989 and Third Edition (of what?) in 2000 (not to mention v.3.5 just three short years later). I wanted to stay up-to-date in my gaming and the only way to do that was to buy more stuff.

OD&D, even in its purest form – the three LBBs and nothing more – is a perfectly playable game. Certainly, it requires a goodly amount of interpretation by any would-be referee, but that's not the same thing as saying, as some do, that OD&D is incomplete, never mind unplayable. It's definitely not a "modern" RPG, lacking as it does definitions, explanations, and even occasionally consistency between its various sections. Instead, it's a glorious, extravagant mess, a veritable Pandora's box whose chaotic contents literally changed entertainment forever. There's an almost palpable power in those three slim, staple-bound booklets if you're willing to cast aside, if only briefly, the subsequent history of roleplaying. After all, this is where it all began.

I had initially come to study OD&D because I'd become dissatisfied with the direction of Dungeons & Dragons under the stewardship of Wizards of the Coast. I was driven by the paradoxical notion that the only way forward was backward, which is to say, that I felt D&D had become so changed that the only way I could conceive of fixing it was to try and turn the clock back, all the way to the very beginning. Anything less than that would be a half-measure, doomed to repeat the very same mistakes that had led Dungeons & Dragons to where it was in 2007 – overcomplicated and deracinated.

The second lesson I learned from examining OD&D was this: it contains multitudes. The same qualities that had led Gary Gygax famously to declare his first creation to be "a non-game" – its open-endedness, flexibility, and variability – were precisely those that I now found so appealing. Indeed, I saw in them an antidote to my dissatisfaction with the direction of contemporary D&D. What's more is that, as I interacted with others on the ODD74 forums (and, in time, OSR blogs), I discovered that, by design, OD&D could be played in a variety of different ways. The history of the early hobby attested to this and, in fact, proved to be the fertile seedbed out of which so many later roleplaying games would flower. 

I can't stress enough how emancipatory this was to me at the time. I'd grown up a TSR fanboy, hanging on the Word of God that descended from the heights of Lake Geneva. This meant that I tried to the best of my ability to play D&D in the "official" manner whenever possible. While this took a lot of the burden of rules interpretation off my shoulders, it also probably curtailed my creativity to some degree, prodding me to play the game in a particular fashion. I have no real complaints about this – I had a lot of fun playing RPGs in my youth, as evidenced by the fact that I still play them in middle age – but I have no doubt that I also closed myself off to other possibilities. Coming to OD&D with an open mind helped me to understand this.

This is why I think, even half a century later, that there is value in reading original Dungeons & Dragons. Indeed, I think there's value in playing OD&D. This the game that started it all, the one that first taught the world what a fantasy roleplaying game was. Much like the details of the early history of the OSR, it's possible for men of good conscience to argue about the merits and flaws of OD&D's design, but I hope we can all recognize just how literally vital the three Little Brown Books are. They presented the world not merely with rules but with a new form of entertainment – one limited only by the collective imaginations of those who participate in it.

How many other books – RPG or otherwise – can honestly make that claim?

20 comments:

  1. I think everyone who reads your blog has had their own journey into the OSR though I am sure there are common themes - Nostalgia, getting tired of increasingly corporate-driven editions and prefering simpler rules sets. I came into D&D with the Moldvay Basic set back in 1982. I was a wide-eyed TSR/WOTC fanboy from then until about 2008. But I had spent a lot of time and money on 3.0/3.5, so when 4E was announced, I made the conscious decision to skip that edition. And that's when I discovered the retroclones OSRIC and, especially for me, Labyrinth Lord. I still keep an eye on currrent editions but I certainly don't feel the same level of loyalty I did back in the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Played 3e on a lark circa 2001 and thought, “Man this is really tedious and boring, not nearly as much fun as I remember. Maybe that game we played back in the 80s wasn’t all that much fun either? Perhaps we just imagined it was?” Five years later, Goodman Games started publishing 3.5e modules in 1e style, with glossy covers and kitschy artwork that triggered nostalgia. I bought several with no intention to play, just to read; but the bloated stat blocks offered only more tedium. Around 2010 while surfing the web, I found Labyrinth Lord and really identified with its call to simpler, faster play based on fundamentals - the Moldvay Basic rules that brought me into the hobby. And that was the key. Peeling back all those additional layers of stuff added over the years finally helped me rediscover the fun core, which really was all about imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What pulled me into previous editions was the advent of D&D 3.0. The "conversion book" was over 20 pages long. 20 pages. So backward compatibility was a huge issue for me. Then I saw Hackmaster 4E and I was hooked. This was OSR before it was a thing. Sure it's more crunchy than 3e in some respects, but it has the Old school feel, like class level names for instance.

    So I played HM4e for most of the past 20+ years with my group. We were all HMA members for that time too. Even when they changed the entire game mechanic in 2010 (long story about that: thanks WoTC) we stuck with HM4E.

    But in the past 3-4 years, I've gotten tired of HM4e. I wanted to go to a simpler game. I've always had my ear on the OSR when OSRIC, LL, and S&W hit the market, so I naturally went that way.

    I now run an Adv LL campaign in the Hyborian Age, which started a few months ago. It's very liberating to not to be bogged down with alot of rules. Ruling, not rules. And be consistent in those rulings.

    I'm happily waiting for Greg Gillespe's Dragonslayer RPG which I was a backer for. Should be here in a few days! OSR forever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My only real complaint about the 1974 D&D rules is their organization. Simply re-organizing the rules (without adding, dropping, or changing one single word) does wonders.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I started with Holmes and soon moved to AD&D 1E, with which I've stayed ever since. I did get a look at the LBBs years after, and I'm glad that I did not see them until then, because I probably wouldn't be playing the game that brought me so much enjoyment and so many friends if I'd come across the LBBs first. With no experience in RPGs and no one to teach us, we were playing the game pretty quickly.We were doing lots of things wrong, but we were playing. There was more confusion when we moved to 1E, because we thought that Holmes was a baby version of AD&D, rather than realizing that they were two separate (albeit similar) games. The LBBs (without Chainmail, any wargaming experience, or anyone to teach us) would've been nearly incomprehensible.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I decided to jump in around 2016: "They want how much? For how many books? With how many pages????" I thought to myself, there must be a simpler version of this game...like a basic version. I'm sure you can guess what happened when I searched basic D&D: That bright red box caught my eye and it was all over! I've been firmly OSR ever since. OD&D is poorly organized but it cannot be so easily set aside. What a fascinating tome, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree the only problem with OD&D was the organization but I wonder if some of that wasn't a limitation of how long a small book bound that way could be combined with the desire to have roughly equal length books. I'd always understood the Holmes edition was basically the same text re-organized without those limitations (and fewer levels) and its a pretty solid book.

    Moldvay is better still but I think TSR started tinkering with mechanics by then so its not an apples to apples comparison.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for a great post! I'm able to move past the organizational issues with OD&D (it's not like we don't know how most of the basic game concepts aer supposed to work), and I think anyone gets that you are supposed to fill holes that bother you with your own house rules (e.g., maybe making stats actually do something by rolling against them to perform various actions, saves, etc.). The one major thing you have to think about, though, is the real meaning of the Chainmail based combat. I've seen plenty of off handed comments about this but never anyone who committed to concrete interpretations, like through an example of play.

    ReplyDelete
  9. While I fully expect to get ostracized here for holding this opinion, but:

    I came late to the party. Although I'm 50 years old, the only D&D edition (or any TTRPG) I have played is 5e (although I have been *aware* of the game and the previous editions before that, I never actually have *played* them), and I love it. For me, there is no desire to have a 'simpler' or more 'basic' game. D&D 5e is pretty straightforward and both playable and enjoyable for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s a completely reasonable, respectable opinion. Might I ask, what attracts you to the Grognardia blog?

      Delete
    2. Well in general, I often find that when a given subject interests me, I also get interested in the history of that subject. Like TTRPG's, in this example. So when I started playing D&D, I also read (and liked) books like 'Of Dice and Men' (David M. Ewalt) and 'Designers & Dragons' (Shannon Appelcline). So what attracts me to this blog, is the historic perspective on things from people who actually played these (older) TTRPG's (and D&D in particular).

      Delete
    3. 5e is perfectly fine. I find the problems with the edition changes aren't so much the changes, because the basic systems do pretty much the same things. The real problems are the omissions, like random encounters, overland travel, and domain play. But it is pretty easy to bolt these onto a 5e chassis, and OSR blogs are a good place to figure these things out (if you can stand the anti-5e snobbery).

      Delete
  10. Something I've been thinking about for a long time, and have pitched to friends in conversation, is that there was truly something in the water of the late 1960s and early '70s that encouraged a stripped-down DIY thinking. Not just for RPGs, but in also in music.

    To wit — and I am not exaggerating when I say this — if you look at the timeline and history of D&D, punk rock, and rap, there is (now) a clear throughline of downtrodden outsiders who, with little money but a ton of enthusiasm and ingenuity, used sampling and appropriation of WHAT THEY LOVED to create something new and powerful that eventually changed the culture.

    Is the sampling of existing tracks and MCing over the break in Rap any different than the lifting of motifs from pulp fantasy and DMing your own story? I will argue it is not. Is the desire of punk musicians to ditch the bloat of arena and prog rock and get back to the 3-chord simplicity of rock 'n' roll any different than the desire to get back to the straightforward fast play of OD&D. Again, there is little difference.

    In all three cases, you had a core contingent of creators who just wanted to have fun with an idea they had that relied heavily on appropriating and remixing existing material to create something new, and — for time — wasn't about making money. All of that came later, and could be argued, was what co-opted and eventually destroyed the purity of the creative chaos that gave birth to something new.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and it is likely that the magic ingredients were the peace and prosperity that the baby boomers were able to enjoy as they grew up and into adulthood.

      Delete
    2. Don't delude yourself it was always about making money.

      Delete
    3. Haha, touché — Gygax in particular was a hustler, and always looking for an angle.

      Allow me to rephrase: While it is true that those early gamers wanted to get published (and DJs wanted to get paid for their block parties and, yes, The Ramones wanted to be Rock Stars), there was a naïveté about money and the business. They certainly didn't let anything pesky like copyright or intellectual property get in their way, as evidenced by the lawsuits that would follow TSR with Tolkien and ERB's estates (or sampling with Rap).

      It was only later, when everyone realized HOW MUCH money could be made that it got ugly, and that powerful spirit of collective creativity evaporated. (It is also true that many of the earliest creators, in music and games, were cut out of the picture and had to fight to get the credit and profits they deserved.)

      Delete
  11. I entered the hobby via Holmes, then Moldvay-Cook and 1e.
    As much as I prefer more straightforward, better laid out and expanded versions like BX/OSE (or 1e/OSRIC), I think there is much to gain by going back to the source and see how things were intended to work or could have worked.
    My main take away from my occasional dipping into the OD&D well is that it's important to remeber that one's game, not just the rules, are by the nature of the medium itself a continuous work in progress.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think the biggest attraction of OD&D today (beyond historical or intellectual curiosity) is that it is a gateway to creating your own set of house rules that approach the scale of a stand-alone game, yet it is automatically connected to a vast community and back-log of material (monsters, spells, dungeons, etc.). You could argue that other D&D editions and knock offs are similar in this respect, but you need to peel back so much of those later versions that it feels like a major remodel. OD&D is sort of begging you to just add the bits that are important to you. The game has a completely incoherent and schizophrenic approach to the combat system, so it is perfectly reasonable to drop in your own. It has attributes - in fact they are the main thing that individuates characters - but does almost nothing with them. So add a couple of rules that use them. And so forth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A very good point. I see OD&D, Holmes and BX as the chassis to build your own custom car. 5e is buying a modern car.

      Delete
  13. I started with 1e, with a smattering of Holmes, much augmented by the pages of Dragon Magazine, and liberally houseruled. Later we bolted on a bit of 2e. After the usual life-gets-in-the-way hiatus, I came back via 4e. Loved the 4e system, hated the modules and couldn't figure out why. The OSR reminded me of how modules could be written, and of some critical subsystems that had been omitted from 4e but were easy to reintroduce. So I now play/run 4e in a classic/OSR style.

    ReplyDelete