Monday, April 22, 2024

What is Roleplaying? (Part II)

During the Grognardia drinking game, I suspect my readers have thrown back a few whenever the 1977 Dungeons & Dragons Basic Set edited by J. Eric Holmes is mentioned. Because it was my introduction to the hobby, I still have a special affection for it over all the other D&D products I've bought over the years. Looking back on it now, one of the more notable things about its rulebook is that it doesn't include an explicit section in which Holmes explains the nature of a roleplaying game. In fact, the word "roleplaying" (or "role playing") only appears in its text three times, one of them being on the title page. 

To some extent, this is understandable, since the Holmes rulebook hews very closely to the text of the original 1974 little brown books, where the word "roleplaying" does not (I think) appear at all. Aside from the aforementioned title page, the two other places where the word appears are the preface (by an unknown author) and the introduction (presumably by Holmes). Here's the relevant section of the preface:

That's pretty simple and straightforward. It also makes sense, given that, even in 1977, when this rulebook was first published, the concept of a roleplaying game was still a very new one, especially outside those already involved in the hobby. For a basic rulebook, one might well expect it to "introduc[e] the reader to the concepts of fantasy role playing." The introduction, meanwhile, simply calls Dungeons & Dragons as "a fantastic, exciting and imaginative game of role playing" before launching into an extended description of its play:
It's not a bad description, but it's all a bit abstract in my opinion, particularly if you have no prior knowledge of what the actual play of the game might look like. I know that my friends and I were initially quite baffled by the nature of roleplaying, taking it to be closer to a strange new type of boardgame. Remember that we came to Dungeons & Dragons through Dungeon!, so I hope we can be forgiven our misapprehension. Furthermore, the title page of the Basic rulebook contains the following subtitle, which recalls the subtitle of the Little Brown Books: "Rules for Fantastic Medieval Role Playing Adventure Game Campaigns Playable with Paper and Pencil and Miniature Figures."

The section of the Holmes rulebook entitled "Dungeon Mastering as a Fine Art" does include an example of play that features a dialog between the referee and the party's caller. This goes some way toward elucidating the practical details of roleplaying, but it's still not very explicit about the subject. The AD&D Players Handbook is even less helpful in this regard, lacking even an example of play (though a very lengthy one does appear in the Dungeon Masters Guide). The 1981 version of Basic D&D, written by Tom Moldvay, contains what is probably the most famous example of play in the history of D&D, but its treatment of roleplaying as an activity is still quite vague in my opinion and, in any case, we started playing before that version of the game was published.

When my friends and I eventually came to understand what roleplaying was, it was no thanks to any rulebook we had read. Instead, our knowledge was imparted to us by a friend's older brother, who'd been playing D&D for a couple of years beforehand. Once we finally got it, it was very easy to look back at Holmes and see what he was attempting to explain, however unclearly. I suspect our experience was not unique. Unlike, say, the 1983 Frank Mentzer-penned version of the Basic Rulebook, which does an excellent job, in my opinion, of explaining the nature of a roleplaying game, I find it almost impossible to imagine anyone picking up Holmes and then being able to start playing without any confusion or need for clarification from someone who already knew how to roleplay. I say this as someone with great affection for the Holmes Basic Set.

Nowadays, I think it's much more common for RPGs to include explicit "what is roleplaying?" sections and examples of play. Even so, I can't help but wonder whether they're any more useful to people than were the sections with which my friends and I had to contend in our youth. Of course, the concept of roleplaying is now much more widely understood, with many popular computer and video games making use of the concept. This fact might make such sections almost superfluous in the 21st century. Nevertheless, I find myself wondering about it as I continue to work on Secrets of sha-Arthan. Is there still a need for a lengthy description of roleplaying in a contemporary RPG or is the need for it a thing of the past? This is something I've wondered about before, but enough time has passed since then that I'd curious to hear what readers have to think about the topic in 2024.

12 comments:

  1. Using an example of play ala Mentzers Red box do a better job of explaining what exactly playing an RPG is.
    One aspect of RPG theory writing most often neglected in print is how to play the game beyond the rules. Prompts on how to interact creatively within the game environment. Sure you can roll a die to search for secret doors but how does your PC actually search? The player skill aspect of RPGs usually needs to be learned from playing the game itself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that this is an excellent point. Much of what has been written about the game in 50y has had a mechanical approach, and that doesn't help a new player and DM on how to play.

      The verbal form of the actual plays helps both the DM and players by showing them how the game's designers (Gygax, Moldvay and Holmes) intended the game to be played.

      Delete
  2. A baseline definition, in a single paragraph, is always good form. Something like this perhaps.

    In a roleplaying game, an impartial referee narrates from prepared notes to establish a theater of the mind in which players take on the roles of protagonists striving to achieve some goal against the opposition of antagonists controlled by the referee. The referee and players converse their way through a series of interactive encounters, invoke rules as required, and use dice to impartially adjudicate the outcomes of pivotal actions, sometimes with the assistance of miniature figures and a grid if desired. In that way, empowered players and an impartial referee build a shared narrative through a “fair” game.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I were a newcomer, I would want the "What is role-playing?" section to give me a brief overview of the concept so I know how to approach the rest of the rule book's text.

    As an experienced gamer, the only thing I want to know from that section is the relation between the GM and the players. That, more than anything, determines whether I will continue reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I started with Holmes with one to guide me. It worked out fine. I wasn't a miniatures guy either. My background at the time was Avalon hill and SPI. So it was possible!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Er, that is with /no one/ to guide me....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to be honest, I've grown impatient with that now-common front matter a la "what is a roleplaying game?" and explanations of what "3d6" means. I no longer even pause to admire a new formulation of this introductory material, and skip right over. Obviously, it's needed for beginners, and it expresses a lovely continuity with the hobby as a whole, so I can respect it. There will be players (I hope many!) whose introduction to RPGs is Sha-Arthan or Dolmenwood or other new world-system. But for me the truly newbie-text feels like a delay and I wonder if, at this point, it might not be a small side box ("New to Role Playing Games?"), perhaps even with a reference to an online explainer. When I started, like you, with the Holmes edition as a kid, I certainly could have used a carefully worded explainer! But now those things feel like I've opened a deck of cards to play some poker but first encounter a pamphlet explaining what cards and card games are.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hate to say it, but I don’t think the “what is roleplaying” section is necessary anymore. If someone wants to know, they will search for the answer. Also, it seems like the people most likely to read your product would already know.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember the ads for Witch Hunt, and they did stick out in my mind at the time---no doubt in part due to our high school readings of "Young Goodman Brown" by Nathaniel Hawthorne.

    I own WH and it's adventure _A Tyme of Darkness_, and picked both for use as period-piece support for colonial CoC games (I've run some others in historical eras via Strange Aeons and End of the World).

    Allan.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wonder whether Holmes's psychology background interfered with his writing in this case, as role-playing is an established concept in that field. He might very well have just assumed that the general public knew what it meant (especially in the late '70s, when psychology concepts were entering the mainstream consciousness).
    Someone (maybe Gygax himself) described role-playing games as "'Let's Pretend", but with rules," and I always thought that was a good succinct definition. Let's Pretend was an old radio show in which a cast of children would act out fairy tales, but you dont need to that -- the title says it all.

    I think some brief description and explanation is good for any rpg. To use a comics analogy, Jim Shooter of Marvel comics always insisted that the writers treat every script as if it were someone's first comic. It irritated the writers and wasn't necessary for the old fans, but it did make the comics more accessible -- and accessibility means more customers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The "Intro to RPGs" section is a necessary evil, but also a chance for you to put your stamp on it in regard to your game. You have a distinct "voice" when it comes to RPGs (hastily summed up as "grognardish") and this is your chance to impart your philosophy of "how to RPG" especially vis-a-vis "modern" RPGs that are heavy on the drama. Tim Kask, for example, has discussed on how "back in the day" they referred to the characters in the third person, not first. That is all dependent if your "how to" philosophy (overall) is key to the enjoyment of your entree, or if "flavor to taste" is more important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great point about a chance to share your vision of gaming, like Finch's quick primer for old school gaming.

      Delete