Wednesday, October 23, 2024

Unplugged

I am a Luddite. 

I know it's common for people to joke that they're technophobes, but I'm the real deal. I'm not merely a slow adopter of technology; I'm actively hostile towards many forms of tech, especially those whose function intrudes upon our everyday lives. Consequently, I do not now nor have I ever owned a mobile phone of any kind, including a smart phone, which I unironically believe is one of the most damnable pieces of technology man has ever conceived. 

Once I left my home last week for Gamehole Con in Madison, Wisconsin, I was effectively incommunicado. Without a phone, no one, not even my family, could reach me. I made prior arrangements with friends to meet me at the airport. However, if my flight were delayed or, as it turned out, arrived twenty minutes early, there was no way to inform them of this fact. The likelihood that there'd be some sort of schedule change either going to or coming back from the convention were high, since I had connecting flights both ways. That I encountered no airline problems was something of a minor miracle.

Of course, until about a quarter-century ago, most people didn't own mobile phones at all and they nevertheless traveled across the globe. Our current era of interconnectedness and instant availability is an aberration in historical terms, but most of us have become intensely accustomed to it, to the point that we can't even imagine anything different than our present circumstances. I know that, before the con, at least a couple of acquaintances asked me to hit them up on Discord when I arrived, so we could coordinate a time and a place to meet. Lacking the means to do that, we had to make do with more primitive means of meeting up. Fortunately, Gamehole Con is small enough that finding someone isn't that hard, if you're sufficiently motivated.

Of course, my friends all have smart phones, so I could simply borrow theirs to quickly check my email or Discord messages. In fact, I tried to do so. I say "tried," because, when I made the attempt, Discord noticed I was doing so from a location different from my usual one. To log in, I'd need to enter a code sent to my email address to confirm my identity. Alas, getting into my email proved similarly difficult, as Gmail, too, recognized I was not in my usual location and would only allow me to use it if I sent it a code that it had sent to my backup email address. Guess what happened next? That's right: an endless circle of dual factor authentication I could not circumvent by any means. 

Similarly, when I checked in at the con to collect my badge, I expected I'd also be given physical tickets for my various events, as I had in the past. Nope! I'm not sure when Gamehole Con transitioned to virtual tickets – it must have been sometime after 2018, when I last attended – but, whenever it was, I was now expected to make use of a smart phone to demonstrate my having paid and signed up for my events. I was able to rectify this with the organizers, who took pity upon me and printed out some tickets for me to carry around. However, the fact remains that Gamehole Con, like almost everything these days, simply takes it for granted that I must, of course, have a smart phone.

What's fascinating is that nearly everyone I encountered who learned of my lack of a phone expressed wistful admiration of me. "I wish I could do that!" or some variation of it were common statements. And the truth is that there are many benefits to not having a phone, especially at a convention. For instance, I was never once distracted by calls or notifications, as were too many people, even during games. I was free to focus on the matter at hand. When I was distracted, it was by something happening nearby in the real world, like the hoots and hollers of a nearby table, as a player rolled well (or badly) or as a man dressed as an orc and carrying a large ax walked by. I got to experience Gamehole Con unfiltered, unmediated by anything but my own senses. It was wonderful.

That's why I went to the convention, after all: to be present. I don't want to sound like some New Age guru spouting off platitudes about mindfulness, but I do think we too often miss out on valuable interactions and experiences because we're distracted by the ever-present allure of technology. The number of people I saw at the con sitting down and scrolling through their social media accounts was larger than I'd have liked it to have been (though far less than what I saw in airports or on planes – yikes!). I was in a unique position not to have the option to do this. I had no choice but to be present and aware of everything that was happening around me – and I believe I had a better time because of it.

Additionally, I was completely cut off from the news, whether local, national, international, or even just the news of our shared hobby. I fight against the notion that ignorance is bliss, but I can't that having no knowledge of what was going on in the world beyond what I could see and hear right in front me was a welcome respite, one that enabled me to enjoy myself more fully than I might otherwise have. I was at Gamehole Con to play some RPGs and hang out with friends, both old and new. Focusing on anything else would have been a distraction. Why would I want that?

8 comments:

  1. James, thanks for sharing your experiences. I enjoy hearing different view points from mine, and I respect yours. I really appreciate having a smart phone, but at the same time, there is a need for balance, and I think there are times to put it aside and not use it. Glad that you had a good and safe trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this. Yes, I'm envious, and know I've sold my soul already, but this inspires me at least to take more steps to get away from the evil device.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it. Getting a smart phone back in 2007 has been a bane on my life ever since.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard a whole similar line of thinking from my dad, although he has a regular mobile phone and an iPad, so he's mostly contactable. My view is that I was happiest when my phone was a device to talk to people with, a quick text and reading a text set of news headlines. That takes me to late 2001 with a Samsung flip phone.

    I have also noticed the endless authentication loop that you can get into. That I think is a real problem that is going to trip us up.

    What really worries me is AI impersonation. A friend (my original D&D buddy from the 80s) works for a large mobile phone operator and he told me that in April they were all given ba security brief on this technology where it can imitate you both visually and aurally. Scary stuff. Where that takes us all is that you can't trust a phone call or videocall from people you know without some agreed protocol (How's Auntie Bettie? I don't have an Auntie Bettie). That trajectory undermines online banking and Ultimately I think we end up back with face to face banking and signing for things in person. No bad thing perhaps.

    (Written on a smart phone)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't have a smart phone until 2022. I still live as if I didn't. I don't use it for GPS (I learn how to get around). I don't have any form of social media that I'm constantly checking on the phone. When I'm waiting to be seen at an appointment, I sit quietly while everyone else is on their phones. I use it at home, sort of like a tablet, but I can always go to my desktop as well. It's nice. I get comments like the one you mentioned when I'm out traveling without a phone and people find out. Some people have to have one for their livelihood (like my realtor friend) but most people honestly don't need to have one all of the time. Most people I encounter under 40 can't imagine living an adult life without a smart phone. Good to see that there's someone else out there whose hand isn't glued to a phone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What I find damnable is not the device, but the attitude that it engenders: that one must be available at any time to anyone. I can turn off my smartphone whenever I wish, and I do when I am at conventions or other social events. On occasion, people have upbraided me for not answering their calls, which is annoying, but it's more important to be present for the people around me. I find the smartphone useful at times, and when it is not useful I do not use it. Perhaps I can manage this because I can not only imagine a world without instant connection, I used to live in one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with you! I hate cellphones. A lot of people's brains have been broken by their cellphones; they have no attention span now.
    That said, I do have one. I got my first in 2020. With so many organizations & sites going to 2-factor authorization, I can no longer get along without it. I don't use it much, as I've no truck with social media.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Having a smart phone is much more pleasant if you don't add any social media accounts. I have a Facebook account and a long-ignored twitter account but neither are on my phone.

    My iPhone is a fantastic resource, if only because I can get calls or texts anywhere or at any time. My work makes that extremely advantageous, so the phone is never far from me.

    But I also like it because I can pull up information about anything, anywhere. I have an application that lets me tune my guitar easily, including to non-standard tunings and it was free (other than the cost of the phone, obviously). My phone is a flashlight, a camera/video camera, a way to check my bank accounts and deposit checks without going to a physical bank location, a library of music that I can play on a computer or most cars and lots of other things. I don't wear a watch any more. And yes, as a directionally-challenged human the GPS application can be very helpful.

    I know they can be addictive; I've seen it in my family, but it's a tool and you can, despite the efforts of bad actors to keep you glued to it, use it responsibly. Additionally, you can still actually buy phones, as which James alluded in his first paragraph, that aren't "smart," and serve only as communication devices.

    I'll still admit to longing for the days when I couldn't be reached when I was away from home. Good on you, James.

    ReplyDelete