Monday, July 12, 2021

Artist Identification

The older I get, the more convinced I become that the British fantasy gaming scene of the 1970s and '80s produced vastly more imaginative and evocative art than almost anything on this side of the Atlantic. Witness this advertisement for White Dwarf magazine, which looks like an illustration to accompany a Clark Ashton Smith story. 

Unfortunately, I can't read the artist's signature in the bottom right and so have no idea who's responsible for this piece. Can anyone assist me? I am fairly certain the artist in question did other work for Games Workshop, whether in the pages of White Dwarf or elsewhere. (I am also fairly certain that, the moment the name is revealed to me, I'll realize what an idiot I was not to have immediately recognized his style).

9 comments:

  1. Here's a better image with the full name: https://64.media.tumblr.com/c9e395e35232a7edccbfaf51474f4d90/tumblr_pq62nxsyj61ro2bqto1_1280.jpg

    It's Emmanuel, who did the original Fiend Folio cover, as well as various WD covers. This is from WD 23.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also the original Fighting Fantasy _Citadel of Chaos_ cover, I believe.

      Delete
    2. He also created the yellow/red Games Workshop logo.

      Delete
    3. Fascinating! That White Dwarf piece is one of my all-time favourite fantasy illustrations, whereas the Fiend Folio githyanki is one of my all-time _least_ favourites.

      Delete
  2. Yours to buy on eBay for £15 or £50!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. There are copies of issue 23 available on Ebay uk for £15 and £50.

      Delete
  4. That image was also the cover of the 1981 Games Workshop catalogue. I spent ages flicking through it as a penniless kid.

    ReplyDelete