Monday, January 1, 2024

Happy New Year

Somehow, another year has come and gone and, while I wouldn't go so far as to say 2023 was a bad year for me, it certainly was a frustrating one, filled with numerous unwelcome distractions that prevented my completing almost any of the projects I hoped I might. Rather than dwell on that, I plan instead to look upon 2024 as filled with possibility, including the possibility that I'll do this year what I was unable to do last year. 

To that end, you'll probably be seeing an increase in posts about the development of Secrets of sha-Arthan. I've been working on it on and off for the last two and a half years. Lots of progress has been made, but there's still a lot more to do. Because this is a passion project without any specific end goal, there's been no real incentive to finish it according to a schedule. Though that's still largely true, I very much do want to see it finished, at least in draft form, before the conclusion of this year (preferably sooner). Posting about it publicly might help me to do that, so I beg your continued indulgence as I do so.

2024 is also the half-century anniversary of the release of original Dungeons & Dragons and I plan to devote quite a bit of commentary to the game that started it all throughout the year. Though I am not presently playing OD&D, I have a particular affection for this edition of D&D, because it's the one that served as my gateway to what would eventually come to be known as the Old School Renaissance, which would, in turn, serve as the impetus to start this blog. Consequently, it's only right that OD&D should once again take center stage here at Grognardia, as I hope it will in the wider world of roleplaying.

Until then, I'd like to wish everyone a happy and fun 2024. Fight on!

5 comments:

  1. Only slightly related (or not at all), but:

    WotC is planning to release a book about OD&D in 2024: "The Making of Original Dungeons & Dragons: 1970-1976", a book with a historical account of the creation of Gary Gygax's and Dave Arneson's original D&D book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's hoping there are still gamers playing OD&D in another fifty years' time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's also the year of the dragon. One could not find a better year to mark the first half century of the TTRPG hobby.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of my oldest friends, and the guy who introduced my brother and I to D&D, died last week. It was not unexpected as he had been in decline for many years, but it was still sad.

    In sharing the news in a chat thread with other old grognards, all of whom played D&D with my friend in high school and college, someone suggested we play a memorial game later this year; this has since cascaded into the idea of picking up our campaign from the early '80s, which ended decades ago on an unresolved cliffhanger...

    Seems as good a anniversary celebration as any!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to see you're still posting after all these years!

    ReplyDelete