Monday, June 2, 2008

Mutant Future

Fans of the original Gamma World, rejoice! Today, Goblinoid Games released Mutant Future, a new post-apocalyptic roleplaying game based on the Labyrinth Lord RPG. Mutant Future is not a "true" retro-clone, in the sense that it does not restate a previously existing ruleset, in this case Gamma World, using Open Game Content. Instead, it's a "spiritual" successor to Gamma World, meaning that fans of the original should find a lot in it that harkens back to the good ol' days of post-apocalyptic gaming, even if the specifics are different.

I'll be posting a review of the game later this week, when time permits, but I'll say now that I think Mutant Future is well worth a look and a purchase. In many ways, it represents an excellent model for the kind of games I'd like to see the old school community produce, but I'll talk about just what I mean by that at greater length in the review itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment