Friday, May 31, 2024

REVIEW: Basic Roleplaying Universal Game Engine

When it comes to venerable roleplaying game systems, the percentile skill-driven one first introduced in 1978's RuneQuest is unquestionably one of the most enduring and influential. Two years later, Chaosium released it as a separate 16-page booklet entitled Basic Role-Playing, which it then used as the foundation upon which to build many other classic RPGs, from Call of Cthulhu to Stormbringer to Worlds of Wonder. In the years since, many other games published by Chaosium and other companies have either directly made use of these rules or have been inspired by them. Like D&D's class-and-level system or the point-buy system of Champions, there can be no question that BRP is a mainstay of the hobby.

Consequently, I was not at all surprised when Chaosium announced last year that a new edition of the game system would be released and released under the Open RPG Creative (ORC) License so that third parties could freely produce their own RPGs using this time-honored system. Of course, this latest iteration of Basic Roleplaying – take note of the disappearance of the hyphen – is a lot beefier than its original iteration. Weighing in at 256 pages, this latest version of the game is, in some ways, a bit more like GURPS in that it offers a large menu of rules options to choose from in creating one's own skill-driven RPG. This is a toolkit and not every tool is needed for every BRP-based game or campaign. 

Despite the wide array of options available, drawn from an array of sources, the fundamentals of BRP remain largely the same since their first appearance more than four decades ago. Characters possess seven characteristics – Strength, Constitution, Size, Intelligence, Power, Dexterity, and Charisma – and a number of points with which to purchase skills. However, how those scores are generated, how many skills points are available, and so on are subject to multiple options. There are even optional characteristics, like Education, that a referee can choose to use if he so desires. The skill list, too, is customizable, as are the "powers" available to characters, like magic, mutations, or psychic abilities. This level of customization sets the tone for the entire book, hence my earlier reference to GURPS.

It's important to point out, though, that Basic Roleplaying includes lots of examples and advice throughout, in order both to illustrate the range of options and the pros and cons of making use of them. This is important, I think, because the book is dense and I can easily imagine that its density might be off-putting to newcomers. Even with all of the examples and advice, this probably isn't an easy book for inexperienced roleplayers to digest. There's a lot within its 256 pages and, while clearly written, even I found myself frequently flipping back and forth between sections to make sense of what I'd just read. I don't mean this as a damning criticism, but it's a reality nonetheless.

Ultimately, this is a danger all "universal" game systems must face. In an effort to include rules and procedures for anything that might come up in genres of games as different as fantasy and science fiction or modern-day and ancient world, the page count will inevitably rise. This is especially true for a game system like Basic Roleplaying, whose overall philosophy tends toward simulation, especially with regards to actions like combat. When one takes into account all the options available for nearly everything – including options that simplify the rules – the end result is undeniably ponderous. 

Again, I say this not as a criticism but rather as an observation. Anyone who's played more than one BRP-based game knows how much they can differ from one another, in terms not just of content and focus but also in terms of complexity. Combat in RuneQuest, for example, is vastly more complicated than in Call of Cthulhu, never mind Pendragon. Yet, all three RPGs share unmistakable similarities that make it easier to pick up and play one if you already know how to play another, despite their differences. Basic Roleplaying provides rules, options, and guidance for building games as distinct as these and many more. I was genuinely amazed by the range of alternatives presented in this book, which is indeed a great strength. With this book, a referee would have no need for any others in constructing the BRP RPG to suit him and his players.

As a physical object, Basic Roleplaying is impressive, too. I own the hardcover version, which is sturdy and well-bound, with thick, parchment-like paper. The book is nicely illustrated with full-color art throughout. The layout is clear but dense, with the text being quite small in places (praise Lhankor Mhy for progressive lenses!). I haven't seen the PDF version, so I can't speak to its quality, but I cannot imagine it's much different. Since almost the entirety of its text has been released under the ORC License, you can take a look at its System Reference Document to see exactly what the book contains. If you do so, I think you'll understand what I mean about its density. At the same time, I'm very glad I own a physical copy of the book, but then I'm an old man who hates reading electronic documents, particularly long and complex ones like this book.

All that said, Basic Roleplaying is an excellent resource for anyone interested in using BRP for their own campaigns, regardless of the setting or genre. I highly recommend it.

11 comments:

  1. BRP is a clean system - maybe the first with a unified mechanic. That said, while I like CoC, I abhor RQ's combat system. Back in the 80s we tried RQ. After a loooonnnggg period of character generation my character died in his first battle when he fumbled and stabbed himself in the guts with a longspear.
    Common criticals and fragile characters go poorly with long character generation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How long did chargen take? I run 1st edition with previous experience. Generally it should take less than 30 minutes if done face to face. These days it usually takes longer overall because it's being done over chat, but still, the investment isn't that much. Previous XP also tends to keep the primary combat skill out of the gutter so fumbles are not such an issue.

      Delete
  2. My next swords & sorcery campaign will be using BRP. It’s got the grit I need. However, as has been posted: the full RQ combat system is a terrible slog. I plan on streamlining things (no hit locations, roll party initiative rather than use Strike Ranjs, etc).
    Therefore, I’m going to cut & paste what I plan on using into a separate document, eliminating the copious options I won’t need. Essentially cobble together a rules set that only contains what I want/need.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The latest edition is impressive for its sheer ambition if nothing else. ~250 pages really is not all that much room to cover the range of genres and game styles it does, but I thought they did a solid job of it. Would it have been a better idea to make a smaller, slimmer generalist core book and then spam out supplements with specific settings an dgenres? Maybe - it's currently working for Savage Worlds, but it could also safely be said to be failing (or have failed) for HERO and GURPS, both of which are not doing well at growing or even maintaining their player communities.

    Of course, that might be a matter of relative complexity and their simulationist approaches rather than release format. If that's the case, I think I'm happy BRP is such a complete volume as-is, since it means Chaosium doesn't need to worry about overextending themselves on supplemental material to show us a fairly complete package. Leave that to third party publishers - which is part of why Savage Worlds is doing so well.

    Overall I liked it quite a bit, even if its page count is literally the square of the original version.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Growing up RQ2 quickly became my fave RPG around 81ish , Chaosium my fave company, and RQ replaced D&D over the next couple of years for my fantasy gaming (as GM). CoC 1e was also a big hit , however RQ3 never did anything for my group/s. But I bought nearly everything Chaosium made. I took a gaming hiatus from 85 to about 91, at which point I got into collecting (mainly) with some.occasional gaming.

    Glorantha became an unweildy mess in The 90s (and beyond) and I never bothered running RQ once I got back into regular gaming around Y2K. After awhile I realized what I really liked was the original Chaosium RQ/Gloarantha adventure materials, and less so the full rule set. CoC or Elric! was more my speed when it came to BRP. Though I loved the core of the thing.

    Like Glorantha, eventually BRP and the RQ variants from MONGOOSE &TDM became a mess too.

    I dislike the new RQG and CoC, NuChasoium is a company I will no longer support, and luckily Openquest became a thing. I much prefer its streamlined rules set anyway. So whenever I do some Glorantha gaming it's OQ, or my old 3rd Edition hardcover for CoC.

    If newer BRP or or Classic RQ is too unweildy for someone, OQ should scratch that itch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As logical and elegant as it is, the paradigm shift of "rolling under" with d% is very hard for my brain to click with.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this has come a long way from the 16 pager I have from CoC

    ReplyDelete
  7. The RQ2/3 system at first glance looks plausible and nice, much better than that odd D&D approach, right? But over time it breaks down in so many places. For instance, hit locations are a nightmare, quite possibly several nightmares. Please track armor and hp for a dozen locations per scorpion man. Marvel at what hit location table to use when you attack a scorpion man from behind, or the side. The beloved critical or special hits statistically guarantee that your character will get a crit in the face (ignoring armor) over time. Skills as % become weird as you approach or exceed100%. etc etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure, the hit locations for non-bipedal humanoids can be a bit odd. You can be freaked out by that, or you can just let that wash. RQ (I run the original 1978 first edition) is the ONLY RPG I have run every decade since I got it in 1978. For me, the game works. And the hit locations are just fine. Every once in a while I do worry about attacking something like a Scorpion Man from behind, and I use an alternate hit location chart. Tracking the hit locations is not really that hard. I haven't run a game long enough to have skills at 100% or over, and, yea, that is one place the game might start to break down. Almost every game that has character advancement has some breakdown point.

      Delete
    2. We played RQ2/3 fairly intensely in the 80s and early 90s but found ourselves glossing over many of the parts with major accounting. Hit locations took it to another level. Even humans had 7 locations, each with hit points and armor, so something like 14 times the bookkeeping of D&D. Well, I'll leave it at that rather than belabor things. It wasn't for me.

      Delete
    3. I should add that RQ is one of the few games I like hit locations in. And I find any of the BRP family games that don't use hit locations much less interesting. For me, the appeal of RQ is the whole, Glorantha, zero-to-hero, hit locations, strike ranks, the two kinds of magic. All of it. Remove any element of that and I'd just as soon play a different game. To that end, my Rune Quest Thieves Guild (as in Gamelords Haven setting NOT Robert Lynn Asprin's Sanctuary setting of Thieves World) campaign didn't last. RQ without Glorantha just wasn't singing for me. So I ended that campaign to run Cold Iron in Robert S. Conley's Blackmarsh setting.

      Delete