Friday, October 24, 2008

Another Holmes Companion

Most of my regular readers probably are already aware of Meepo's Holmes Companion, but today I learned of the existence of another Holmes Companion and thought I should spread the good word. I've looked it over and there's a lot to like in it, particularly the way that it proceeds as if in an alternate universe where AD&D never happened and the Holmes rules developed according to their own logic.

I have a great fondness for the Holmes edition; it's the edition from which I learned the game and it's probably the last version of Dungeons & Dragons that retains the do-it-yourself ethic of the early days of the hobby. Much as I love both AD&D and Moldvay/Cook, they're both mass market products, with all that implies. Holmes is still very rough around the edges and filled with mysteries and oddments that I find charming even after all these years. I'll almost certainly mine Holmes for some ideas as I work on my own old school products in the months to come.

6 comments:

  1. Above link is defunct. Anyone have a fresh link?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This link worked for me

    http://www.lulu.com/content/multimedia/holmes-blue-book-companion/7214238

    If that does not work try a web search on Holmes_Blue_Book_Expansion.pdf

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robert Pinnell's Holmes Blue Book Expansion seems to have completely disappeared from the internet at this point. Can anybody give me a hand?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both his restatement and his expansion of Holmes are available at Lulu: http://stores.lulu.com/worldofthorkhammer

    ReplyDelete