Thursday, July 27, 2023

85 Years Ago

On this date in 1938, Ernest Gary Gygax was born. No one reading this blog needs to be told who he was or why he holds such an importance place in the history of our shared hobby. Nevertheless, I thought it appropriate to briefly mark the anniversary of his birth by sharing of a photograph of Gygax that I've always liked. It's a wonderfully whimsical and lighthearted image that gives us a little glimpse of the man who, whatever his other virtues and flaws, truly loved games. In a 2004 interview with GameSpy, Gygax said as much about himself:

"I would like the world to remember me as the guy who really enjoyed playing games and sharing his knowledge and his fun pastimes with everybody else."

And that is how I shall remember him, especially today. Thanks for decades of fun, Mr Gygax. The world – not to mention my own life – is better for your having been in it. 

8 comments:

  1. Well said, James. I heartily agree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great photo and a nice humble wish on how he would like to be remembered. Gamer Gary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you haven't seen it already, Lake Geneva dedicated a park bench to Gary Gygax on the anniversary of his birth. Apparently took it pretty seriously, a number of city officials showed up for the ceremony.

    ReplyDelete