Wednesday, July 12, 2023

Retrospective: Monstrous Compendium

Though it's not an absolute rule, one of the guiding principles behind my selection of a gaming product for discussion in a Retrospective post is that it was originally published during the first decade of the hobby, which is to say, between 1974 and 1984. Obviously, if you scour the more than 300 entries in this series, you'll find plenty of examples of things published outside that time period, particularly when it comes to companies like TSR, GDW, and Chaosium, all of which published games I continue to hold dear. Nevertheless, I still try to stick to that ten-year period, if only to narrow my range of options.

Every now and then, though, events suggest a subject for a post that is very much beyond the scope of this blog. That happened the other day, as I was re-arranging some shelves and set my eyes upon the oversized white binder of the Monstrous Compendium for AD&D Second Edition. Unlike my copies of the 2e Player's Handbook and Dungeon Master's Guide, which are within easy reach, the Monstrous Compendium binder is placed up high, buried under a number of other books and boxes. I put it up there a few months ago, after briefly looking at its entry on giant centipedes, which was probably the first time I'd done so in years. 

As I pondered this fact, I started to think that I ought to write a post about the MC, even though it appeared in 1989 and was published for an edition of Dungeons & Dragons that I usually don't cover (usually). 2e occupies a strange place in the pantheon of D&D editions. A TSR edition bearing the unmistakable DNA of its more celebrated predecessors, it's rarely mentioned in most discussions of "old school D&D." The reasons for that are many and probably worthy of a separate post (or posts). Suffice it to say that I don't presently have any plans to expand Grognardia's ambit to include much 2e content. However, I do reserve the right to talk about it from time to time, as I have already done, when I think the edition touches on a topic worth discussing.

In the case of the Monstrous Compendium, there are at least a couple of topics worthy of examination. The MC was conceived as a successor to not just the original 1977 Monster Manual but to all the monster books previously published, as well as the sections at the back of many adventure modules that detailed new foes. The Big Idea of the Compendium was that it was tedious, not to mention unwieldy, for the referee to be forced to consult multiple books and supplements in the course of a game session. Wouldn't it be better, went the logic of 2e's designers, if the Dungeon Master only needed to look at the handful of pages containing the game statistics of the monsters he needed for the session?

That's why the Monstrous Compendium consisted of a large binder, complete with cardstock dividers festooned with D&D art. Monster descriptions appeared on loose, three-hole punched sheets that could then be added to the binder. The idea was that, before playing, a referee could simply remove those sheets he needed and leave the rest in the binder, thereby lessening the burden of carrying multiple reference works. As expansions of the MC appeared, each with its own set new loose sheets, they could be added to the binder, too, slotted in alphabetically so that the end result was, if you'll pardon the expression, a truly monstrous compendium of all the game's foes.  

It's frankly a great concept and one that sold me on the Monstrous Compendium sight unseen. Unfortunately, the actual design of the loose sheets left much to be desired. First and foremost, very few monsters have descriptions lengthy enough to occupy both the front and back of a single sheet. This means that, for example, "goblin" is on one side of a sheet and "golem, general" – the first part of a three-page spread – is on the other. While there are a few monsters that do have entries that cover both the front and the back of the same sheet, this is uncommon. This arrangement makes it impossible to add new monsters from expansions into the alphabetical order of the initial release, not to mention undermines the notion that the loose sheets give the referee the ability to choose only those monsters he wishes to use.

Being a lover of order, I can't tell you how much this drove me up a wall. As I said, I was completely sold on the idea of the Monstrous Compendium. Truth be told, I still am. However, as released, it simply did not live up to that promise and indeed worked against it. The situation was only made worse with each new expansion, since my binder grew ever more full with more loose sheets, each of which had to go in its own separate section segregated by one of those cardstock dividers. Eventually, I had to buy additional binders, since I believe TSR only ever released one more of them (with Dragonlance monsters). In the end, I had just as many "books" to lug around as before and these were nowhere near as sturdy as the older AD&D volumes.

This brings me to the second topic I briefly wanted to discuss in relation to this product: the ever-greater commodification of D&D (and RPGs more generally). One of the "problems" with roleplaying games, from the point of view of their publishers anyway, is that, once one owns the basic rules material, there's never any need to buy anything more. That's why, since fairly early on in the history of the hobby, publishers have contrived ways to extract more money from players. I suspect that the design of the Monstrous Compendium was at least partially intended as a way to get players to buy more stuff – regular updates and expansions, more binders, etc. 

That intention was hampered by the shortsighted design of the MC itself, resulting in TSR's eventual abandonment of it with the release of a hardcover volume called the Monstrous Manual in 1993, followed by a number of softcover appendices to it in the years that followed. I'm amazed that TSR didn't course correct sooner than this, but the management of AD&D in the '90s was haphazard at the best of times. It's a shame, because, as I noted earlier, I think a more "user friendly" approach to monsters has a certain appeal. Alas, the Monstrous Compendium did not provide that approach, which is why it remains, to this day, one of the most disappointing D&D products I've ever bought.

24 comments:

  1. Mine was so overstuffed with various supplements that I had to add additional, generic binders or I couldn't even close the thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In retrospect, the MC looks like an early step by TSR to emulate contemporary wargames. Yes, wargaming was at the root of D&D. Gary was a wargamer. But early TSR left it behind and roleplaying flourished. But gradually the TSR team seems to have tried to emulate the success of wargaming. First with this binder format MC, which resembles a hugely successful wargame of the same era, and later with 4th edition, way to granular for an RPG.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an interesting perspective. I'd certainly never considered that before.

      Delete
    2. You thinking of Easy Eight's Battleground WW2 rules? They didn't drop till 1997, did they? Or maybe something earlier, there have been (and still are) quite a lot of historical games printed for binder use. BGWW2 is the first one I can recall reaching somewhat mainstream status in that terminally-balkanized neighborhood of the minis gaming community.

      Star Fleet Battles had also adopted the "rules in a binder" format at this point, I think, something they're still using today. Was never as versatile as MC was meant to be - there's a lot of cutting to do if you wanted those books in rules-ref order.

      Delete
    3. I think @always is referring to Advanced Squad Leader (TAHGC, 1985), which was and still is published in three ring binder format.

      Delete
    4. Advanced Squad Leader was the big game in a binder in the mid-1980s.

      Delete
    5. The war game in question was Advanced Squad Leader (ASL). After four different paper rule books in the Squad Leader series, dating back to 1974, the system consolidated and switched to a binder circa 1985. A resurgence in popularity followed. Avalon Hill made the switch for all the same reasons touted for the Monstrous Compendium. It gets more interesting, Avalon Hill was the firm that first rejected Gary's D&D proposal. And, I recall significant debate within the ASL community through the 90s about the need to avoid making any further "editions" since that would lead to the same balkanization that afflicted D&D. Wargamers prized a stable rules set. There was a payoff. To this day, it's much easier to find ASL players than 1e D&D players because the ASL community made a deliberate decision not to generate new editions, but kept updating pages in the binder instead. Today's ASL rules are 95% the same as they were in 1985.

      Delete
    6. Oh, right. Never owned ASL, although I've played friends' copies. I was more of a Panzerblitz/Leader/Arab-Israeli War guy for AH games. Owned way more of their fantasy/scifi titles than historicals, in something of an inverse of my SPI collection.

      Delete
  3. FYI, Troll Lord Games has revisited the format in recent years with their M&T book. I never owned the original, or the TLG version but I love the concept. As I rarely use more than a dozen or so creatures in any given monster book (I find most D&D monsters silly..then again we play a silly game, too), being able to pull the monsters I want to use and having my own personal collection in a single reference is very appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bowed out of D&D at the start of the 2e era and the MC was one reason for that, it was selling me stuff that I already had or had access to, and I felt that much of the detail was fluff and filler.

    Since coming back to the hobby in 2017 and purchasing OA in PDF form I was annoyed that there were no illustrations for any of the monsters. However, the MC Kara Tur supplement has illustrations for pretty much every entry and this was a massive selling point for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the other obvious inspiration for TSR's binder approach was the loose leaf binder with updates format of, say, annotated laws or accounting standards.

    I spent a lot of h oours in one of my early jobs filing weekly updates as they came in and discarding the old pages (after initialing the document control page, naturally).

    It seems to me there were two problems with trying to emulate it in gaming.

    The first is money. Who can afford to keep buying special folders to expand the compendium, if they're even available?

    The second is that it misses the point. Surely searching through tatty back issues of Dragon or whatever to find the right monster is part of the adventure?

    The binder concept just makes running AD&D more corporate and sanitised.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too thought it was a great idea, until I tried to use it in practice.

    If nothing else, the hole-punches in the pages needed to be reinforced better. And they really needed to stick to one monster per double sided page. This would actually be pretty easy to do (Dragon Magazine had been doing their "Ecology of..." for some time,) but it would have also necessitated a lot of duplicate information, as each type of dragon, giant, etc. would have needed its own two-page spread.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm still disappointed the MC Friend Folio Appendix didn't include the kamadan despite that creature being on the cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It happens. There's a monk on the cover of 13th Age but the monk is not a playable class in the core rules. Both druids in the D&D5 rulebook are pictured with animal companions... which is not a class feature for druids in fifth edition.

      Delete
  8. I think maybe a smaller format and a smaller binder or just fill one side with sample encounters, monster specific treasure tables, sample lairs, lore ect.

    The idea is genius and it has to be cheaper to print loose leave versus binding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was going to recommend this exactly. A trade-size book (6"x9") would have made it easier to stick with the one monster per page format. Only enough to fill one side? Like sevenbastard says - fill it with charts, lair maps, or just art.

      Delete
  9. It was a genuinely great idea, but hampered by execution as you say. The three-ring letter format also wasn't ideal for those countries that don't use US stationery (as in, every other country in the world except Canada), so making your own additions was tricky.

    I remember the D&D Black Box also went for a loose-leaf format with its supplementary rulebook, although that went more for an "index cards stuffed in an envelope" approach, which was even less practical, not least because it was also supposed to double as a GM screen.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really, really hated the binder concept the moment I saw it.
    I knew it would become an unwieldy nightmare.
    (I was already pretty unhappy with the notion that BX had to or could be collected in a binder)
    I also felt like the color plates were beautifully useless.
    By the way, in the Outer planes addenda I remember the XP values for planar creatures being all over the place, I think those were later corrected in the Planescape supplements, but I suspect the Compendium was full of errors.
    I was very happy when they finally published the single volume one later on.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Not a single mention of the uninspiring crap art inside!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Harn had a similar idea, that you should cut up each product and re-assemble them into a larger book but I doubt anybody cut up their Harn products. Maybe photocopy/scan the things and assemble but the books were too beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have always liked the concept but hated the execution of MC as well. Funny thing is it would be easy to do this now with pdfs and as far as I know nobody does.

    Just print-to-pdf the specific pages you want from different books. Then use one of the many apps that combine PDFs into a single book and you have a single MC. Of course this works best if monsters don't share a page but the backside of a page is now irrelevant.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Retailers hated the Compendium, especially the supplements, because when the shrinkwrap broke open (which happened often because of shelf-wear or vandalous patrons) all those loose sheets would fall out, making the whole product an unsellable mess.

    ReplyDelete
  15. DC Comics tried the same thing with their 2nd edition of Who's Who, which I was a huge fan of initially. But the entries were less "encyclopedic" in tone compared to the original series, and more "fluffy" and the art wasn't good enough in most cases to be blown up to such a huge page size.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Like you, I loved the idea of the Monstrous Compendium, but wasn't at all bothered the "design flaw" that so annoyed you. I never had the idea that every sheet should go into the same binder, so it didn't come up. The main utility - being able to take just those sheets I wanted for a particular session - worked really well. (Yes, I'd often have an unneeded monster on the flipside of the sheet, but that hardly mattered.) Additionally, having most monsters take up a full side of a sheet led to many of them getting more detailed and interesting write-ups, fleshing them out from their bare statistics.

    Incidentally, TSR did release another binder (aside from the Dragonlance one) - the Monstrous Compendium Volume Two. The sheets in Volume Two were specifically designed to interleave alphabetically with those from Volume One (which did occasionally lead to the inclusion of an unexpected but alphabetically useful monster). When this was done, the first binder was pretty much full, laving you with an empty binder to hold your other sheets (grouped by theme - the outer planes, or specific worlds, for example).

    ReplyDelete