Wednesday, August 23, 2023

Retrospective: Traders and Gunboats

I've mentioned before that Star Trek was my first fandom. If you were a kid with an interest in science fiction in the early 1970s, there simply weren't many other options. Despite this, Star Trek wasn't heavily merchandised at the time, certainly not to the extent that Star Wars would be in a few years. Consequently, fans like myself had to make do with a fairly limited selection of Star Trek products to sate our lust for more information about Gene Roddenberry's vision of the 23rd century. 

A couple of items from that limited selection stand out in my memory, both of them created by the German technical artist Franz Joseph Schnaubelt, known by his nom de plume, Franz Joseph. In 1975, Ballantine Books released Joseph's Starfleet Technical Manual and Star Trek Blueprints. Each included lots of beautifully rendered maps and schematics of Star Trek space vessels and technology (and, fascinatingly, served as the basis for Starfleet Battles, but that's another story). Needless to say, I owned and adore both of them, spending countless hours poring over the secrets they revealed about the layout of the USS Enterprise and other Starfleet ships of the line. These books initiated my lifelong love for deckplans of all sorts, but particularly of science fiction vehicles – a love I'd later transfer into the realm of science fiction roleplaying games.

GDW's Traveller, which I first picked up sometime in 1982, was more than accommodating of my love of starship deckplans. Nearly every adventure released for the game, along with many of its supplements, included one or more deckplans of this sort. There were even separate but related games, Snapshot and Azhanti High Lightning, that included deckplans large enough to use with cardboard counters or 15mm miniatures. From the standpoint of someone like myself who loved starship deckplans, Traveller delivered the goods.

Which brings us to the true topic of this post: Supplement 7: Traders and Gunboats. Released in 1980 and written by Traveller's creator, Marc Miller, with assistance from Frank Chadwick, John Harshman, and Loren Wiseman, Traders and Gunboats is a 48-page supplement that provides information on, as its title suggests, merchant starships and patrol craft. The information is not limited solely to game statistics – though there's plenty of such detail – but also includes an equal amount of information on the place of such vessels within GDW's Third Imperium setting. The inclusion of both game mechanical and setting information makes Traders and Gunboats equally useful to players and referees, as well as to those using Traveller's official setting or one of their own creation.

Ultimately, what makes Supplement 7 so appealing to me is its practicality. All of the space vessels described in its pages are small in size. The largest is no more than 1000 displacement tons, but the vast majority are in 100–400 ton range, which makes them perfect for use by – or against – player characters. That's one of the things that's always appealed to me about Traveller: it keeps its focus on the PCs and their adventures. It's true that Traveller can be vast in scope and certainly the official Third Imperium setting encompasses tens of thousands of worlds spread across dozens of sectors of space. Yet, the play of the game remains human-scaled, which is exactly what Traders and Gunboats supports with its information on smaller space vessels.

Of course, as you'd expect, given my preamble, it's the deckplans that still excite me. Here's a sample page featuring a few small (20–50 ton) craft.

Traders and Gunboats includes more than a dozen of these maps, most of which have proven very useful to me over my years of playing Traveller – so useful that I rank it up there with 76 Patrons in terms of how much I've used it at my own table. That's probably the highest praise I can give any RPG product.

14 comments:

  1. Miller, Chadwick, Harshman and Wiseman is quite the line up of game designers. This was one of the Traveller supplements that I always wanted but never got around to buying. Looks like it would have been worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. More than anything else it was this book that cemented my love of Traveller.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me it was the Library Data books, followed closely by T&GB.

      Delete
  3. The first ever Supplement I bought after I got the Traveller Deluxe Edition boxed set one Christmas! My local game store had a shelf with all the various Supplements and Adventures, and I can still remember flipping through each one until I got to this deckplan-filled beauty. I was sold immediately on it!
    It would be a couple months before I had any money to get my next Supplement, #4 Citizens of the Imperium which was another great one (as you're posted about yourself).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved that supplement but some of the deckplans are, shall we say, "problematic". The small craft are all slightly undersized; the Gazelle is seriously undersized (later corrected somewhere by saying there's a half-height fuel deck), the L-Hyd drop tanks massively so; and the 200-ton Far Trader as drawn is nearly 50% larger than the 400-ton system defence boat.

    Another issue with some of them (mainly the Type S and Type J) is that the interior layouts don't take account of the 3D shape of the vessel, as Ben at 2nd Dynasty discovered when making the ships in 28mm for 3D printing. He had to make several changes to make the ship work.

    That being said, in the early 80s it was great to have and provided me with a lot of inspiration to do my own deckplans.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "If you were a kid with an interest in science fiction in the early 1970s, there simply weren't many other options."

    I was into Tom Swift Jr. and Edgar Rice Burroughs well before Trek, although I suppose Tom didn't have a "fandom" the way the others did. Certainly was popular in my area though, most of my school gaming friends traded the books around between us and there were several attempts at pre-internet fanfic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The main thing I recall from my set of the Franz Joseph manual and deck plans is that the Constitution class has a staggering number of bathrooms. I don't think there's a spot on the ship where you're more than fifty feet from a toilet unless you go crawl into an engine nacelle. Honestly surprised Lower Decks hasn't found occasion to poke some fun at that aspect of the lore.

    I read those both to pieces as a kid along with the Star Trek Concordance, which was the other big one for me. Really the only good, comprehensive coverage of TAS ever published.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perhaps worth noting that the popularity of this book (and Traveller deck plans in general) might be directly responsible for the existence of everything FASA ever made - and by extension, WizKids and Catlyst Game Labs. The company started out publishing those huge, gorgeous deck plan sets and their name has always been short for the Freedonian Aeronautics and Space Administration.

    Probably had quite a bit of influence on other games, too. Gamescience's 1981 Star Patrol had some nice deck plans in it too, as did Star Frontiers once Knight Hawks dropped.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's also much of the visual heritage for Traveller, in that it shows what the spacecraft look like.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The far trader "Empress Marava" was my party's vessel in one of the best campaigns I was in. It was like the Millennium Falcon with more headroom.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Do the vessels have profile shots too? Plan views are helpful to the GM but profiles, sections and elevations are helpful to the players.

    I enjoy deck plans too. I've worked in shipbuilding and shipping for much of my career and I keep a large stash of pdf general arrangement drawings on a hard drive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember profile shots at all from that supplement, but you can find some collected renderings of Traveller vessels here: https://wiki.travellerrpg.com/Starship

      Delete
    2. There is artwork in the supplement for everything apart from the Far Trader and the small craft, but no sections/elevations.

      Delete