Wednesday, September 13, 2023

Retrospective: Southern Mirkwood

The series of Middle-earth sourcebooks published by Iron Crown Enterprises during the early 1980s occupy a strange place in my personal history as a roleplayer. Like nearly every other gamer I knew at the time, I had, of course, read the works of J.R.R. Tolkien and I liked them well enough, though I'm not sure I'd have called myself a huge fan of them. That would come later, thanks in no small part to I.C.E.'s products, whose advertisements in the pages of Dragon I can still vividly recall.

The reasons those advertisements still linger in my memory decades later is their artwork, which is wonderfully evocative. They made me want to know more about the region of Middle-earth detailed in the associated product, which, in turn, helped fuel my appreciation for Middle-earth as a setting. (It would still be a little while longer before I'd come to a similar appreciation for Tolkien's storytelling, much to my embarrassment.)

My very first I.C.E. Middle-earth purchase was Bree and the Barrow-Downs, primarily because the hobbits' visit to the Barrow-Downs is one of my favorite sections of The Lord of the Rings and I therefore assumed the book detailing it would be similarly great. Unfortunately, I was disappointed and this dampened the enthusiasm those Dragon ads had elicited in me. Despite this, I decided to give the series another try, this time selecting Southern Mirkwood as my next purchase. I did so for the flimsiest of reasons: I liked the cover. I might also have been influenced by the book's subtitle, "Haunt of the Necromancer," since I was keen to know more about Sauron's hideout in the region, Dol Guldur.

Written by Susan Taylor Hitchcock and first release in 1983, Southern Mirkwood is 60-page softcover book covering not just southern Mirkwood but also southern Rhovanion, the region of Middle-earth commonly called Wilderland. Much like Bree and the Barrow-Downs (and Moria, which I'd acquire later), the pages of Southern Mirkwood feature a dense, two-column layout using a very small typeface that is occasionally broken up with a piece of spot art or a map. The overall effect, even when I was younger and had more patience – and eyesight! – for such things was mildly intimidating. This effect was made even more potent by the dry way that information was conveyed. This was not a book that one read casually; it took real effort to make it through even a couple of pages.

I began to feel some of the same disappointment I had felt about Bree and the Barrow-Downs creep back in. When I bought the book, I had hoped it'd present some frightening and exciting things about this part of Middle-earth. I remembered Mirkwood well from Tolkien's tales, particularly Bilbo and the dwarves' encounter with its spiders, so I expected the book to contain all manner of similar nastiness. Likewise, the presence of Sauron, in his guise as the Necromancer, certainly piqued my interest, since I remember wondering what he might have been up to while hiding in the forest from the prying eyes of the White Council. By all rights, Southern Mirkwood should have been a really good sourcebook, one that commanded my attention for a long time – but it was not.

A large part of the problem lies with the presentation of the material it contains. As I alluded to above, the prose is dull and focuses too much on minutiae and trivia. There are thus pages of history, enumerations of flora and fauna, people and places of note – all good in principle and precisely the kind of stuff one you'd want and expect to find in a book like this. But rather than detail all of this with an eye toward how to use them in adventures or campaigns set in and around southern Mirkwood, we get encyclopedia-style entries that do little to inspire. Toward the end of the book, there are some short suggestions for scenarios but they're quite sketchy and, frankly, boring ("Acquire 5 crates of Dwarven nails for renovation of Tree-town," "Trap and cure or kill as need be a trained mountain lion which has gone wild," etc.).

The banality of it all is really evident in the sections relating to Dol Guldur, the Necromancer's lair within Mirkwood. The book provides eight maps of the place, along with keyed descriptions. One would imagine – or at least I did – that such a place of supreme evil would be compelling and frightening. Instead, it comes across as little more than a run-of-the-mill dungeon filled with traps and orcs and storage rooms. It's all so dull and predictable, with only a few hints that suggest it's located in Middle-earth rather than in some vanilla fantasy setting. 

It's a shame, because I still think there's great potential in this region of Middle-earth, especially during the time period in which I.C.E.'s books are set (Third Age 1640 – nearly 1500 years before the War of the Ring). I can easily imagine fun adventures or exciting campaigns dealing with the growing corruption of the area and the Necromancer's role in it all. That's not what Southern Mirkwood provides, sadly. 

At least the full-color poster maps by Peter Fenlon are terrific, as always. 

23 comments:

  1. Yeah, I never saw an I.C.E. Middle-earth book that I liked. For me, the setting is best when it is chock-a-block full of AD&Disms, a sword & sorcery Middle-earth that looks like a John Buscema Conan the Barbarian comic book from the 1970s.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have mixed feelings about ICE's stewardship of the licensing. On the one hand, they put out well researched products with great maps. On the other hand, neither Role Master or MERP was really up to the task of handling the "look and feel" of Tolkien's world, and many (most?) of their modules were uninspiring at best, as you point out. They also played the inflation game, where the characters from the book, Elrond (for example) were some ridiculously, unattainably high level (100th?), which I always felt was vaguely disappointing for some reason. I actually prefer to think that Gandalf was a 5th level (or whatever) magic-user.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seconded. Lovely art and cartography, generally well-researched, but just not the right game engine for the setting at all and dry as old bones to read.

      Delete
  3. I like the detailed flora and fauna type portions of the modules but the dungeons and adventures are always a little less fleshed out than I would like. I do love Terry Amthor's Beaux Arts building and dungeon plans as well as the maps. I did just get about two years of a campaign out of Court of Ardor - not a very Tolkieny setting really but some good adventure seeds. Converting weirdo Rolemaster stats to be OSR friendly was certainly a challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks. Never owned any of these and looks like I saved my money.

    The adds though were great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you on those early 1E products- "Wow, look at that cover!..and those maps!.....oh...how thoroughly bland and borderline useless at my table tonite".

    I feel MERP 2E products were better reads (though often still dense and intimidating), and more useful/inspiring takes on the various regions for those who actually may want to run a game in ME.

    And I also agree that the general time period for MERP products is great. I don't run ME games often at all- the last was about 6 years ago (and I used Fantasy Age from Green Ronin, much fun). I particularly like the period about 20-50 years after the fall of Arthedain. I tend to run games centered on the remnants of Angmar and Arnor.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree that the best thing of all the MERP products were the maps (and art). Most of the sourcebooks didn't fulfill their potential, though I found the adventure modules to have more "life" in them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was, and still am a big MERP fan. The later source books edited by Chris Seaman, were very good. I particularly liked "Hands of the Healer." He also wrote for Decipher's Middle Earth game and put out "Other Hands" magazine on Tolkien gaming.

    ReplyDelete
  8. On the other hand, I've heard people talk very well of The One Ring's Darkening of Mirkwood.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am going to push back a little with the hope that a different perspective on MERP may be of value. I find the MERP material dense and often dry, but packed with information and ideas that can be developed in a way that can make for extremely immersive gameplay. I have found the I.C.E. setting books comparable in some ways to Harn material in that both are super detailed and accompanied by beautiful maps. Products like these require effort and reward an approach that takes small areas and expands on nearly every sentence and paragraph. A single publication of either product line can be worked into years of play if the participants are content to take an in depth approach exhaustively exploring their immediate surroundings rather that trekking off to the far side of the continent.
    Comparison of MERP or Harn to so called adventure modules is going to make those products seem dull and boring, but that is an apples to oranges comparison I think. I.C.E. contributed to the confusion in some of their marketing and no doubt paid a price for not making it clear what they were offering and how to make use of the product. Is this a niche approach to FRP gaming, one that if clearly u understood would limit sales? I think the answer is yes. The products do have an audience, however, as is evidenced by the high second hand prices the oop products now go for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll second this. I always found the ICE material perfect for generating ideas that I could then run with. I also loved the maps and I thought the time period that they the material in was perfect for long term campaign play.

      Delete
  10. I think I'm like a Paladin in Hell, and probably even more so. I loved the Middle Earth modules put out by ICE and I made sure to acquire every one of them. That they were different in tone, style, and substance from the pulpy D&D modules of TSR (from the '70s to '82) is undeniable, but as a lover of Middle-Earth history, I ate up the way these writers developed Tolkien's world. It wasn't boring to me at all; quite the opposite. The dungeons in the modules were a mixed bag, but frankly my friend and I loved Dol Guldur (though it was vastly improved in a later expansion) and got good mileage out of it. My high-level PCs suffered terribly in that mountain, and it felt like we were playing old school D&D. Southern Mirkwood get a thumbs up from me all the way. (I cannot say the same for Northern Mirkwood, which is a terrible module.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been disappointed in the content of MERP modules too, especially the adventure seeds. Almost all of them were very skimpily written.

    One reason for them reading more like an encyclopedia rather than an inspirational source book might be constraints placed on ICE by their licence agreement. It is pure speculation on my part, but the MERP modules were being published less than 10y after Tolkien died, and the family would have been very cautious about how the new RPG hobby approached his work.

    (Off topic:
    I'm a total fan boy of Angus McBride's cover art and Pete Fenlon's maps. If I was really flush with cash I'd pay artists to recreate them and I'd love a full Middle Earth map as a wall cover a bit like those huge maps of Europe in WW2 movies.

    When I got out of gaming just as I started work I kept the borrowed/stolen MERP rulebook and the two legitimately bought modules. I was able to give away all my BX and AD&D stuff.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I understand correctly, it wasn't the family but Saul Zaentz who owned the rights by that time. His company's subdivision, Tolkien Enterprises, pulled the rights ahead of the movies, which probably triggered or hastened the collapse of I.C.E., along with the CCG situation.

      Delete
  12. Two things

    Broad Setting information is 93.2% useless
    Dont tell me that the aristocracy of Rhudaur are secretly corrupted into worshipping Sauron. Give me an ADVENTURE starring Sauron worshipping Rhudaur aristocracy.
    I want to extrapolate from samples, not focus from an overview.

    Middle Earth just isn't a good setting for D&D ish gaming.
    Really there's just the one BBEG, its not enough
    Pre LoTR games are overshadowed: Post LoTR Middle Earth is dull: Far Away Middle Earth isnt Middle Earth.
    And... If you stick lizard people in Hyboria or Lankhmar, id think, ok, Conan / F&GM didnt happen to meet them. Stick em in Middle Earth... No way - Gandalf would definitely have mentione this,

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wonder how I.C.E. lasted so long with almost universally lame products. MERP even had a Hungarian edition in the early '90s with a few adventures, but they weren't any exception and failed to make much impact beside the workhorse of the day, i.e. pirated AD&D (in that age undreamed of before the internet, this meant copies of copies of copies of physical rulebooks).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MERP wasn't their only product range. Rolemaster and Spacemaster both sold reasonably well, with RM being regarded as a serious alternative to D&D and Runequest for years. They also benefited a lot from getting into book distribution. They had some modestly successful one-off spinoff books like DarkSpace, Time Riders, and CyberSpace and pulled in some extra profits from various board/miniatures games, most notably the very successful Silent Death starfighter game (which was arguably the most popular of its genre right up until X-Wing came out). They also handled production and distribution for Hero Games for quite a while, right up until ICE collapsed - although I question if that helped their finacial situation. From what I've heard they were overextended trying to do too many product lines at once, some of which were definitely flops and more than offset the better sellers. May also have fallen prey to the same kind of returns trap from the book market that put TSR in their death spiral.

      And, of course, their last few years were massively impacted by the same CCG boom that crippled so many RPG publishers in the latter part of the 90s. A lot of marginal companies tipped over into the red because of Magic and its spinoffs and imitators.

      Delete
  14. For the me the definitive treatment of Middle Earth is C7's Adventures in Middle Earth and their treatment of Wilderlands and Mirkwood was stellar!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow. sounds about as exciting and enticing as the Amazon series ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! That’s a bit of a harsh insult…toward I.C.E products.

      Delete
  16. One does simply not walk into an Iron Crown Enterprise product.

    ReplyDelete
  17. As someone who still cherishes his ICE Middle-earth collection to this day, and who has fond memories of countless hours playing the game, thanks to A Paladin in Hell and Loren Rosson for their comments above.

    I would like to note that the Middle-earth campaign modules improved dramatically over time (and the later expanded, combined "Mirkwood" book is much better than the original ones, as is the later "Dol Guldur" book). The line also was helped with the introduction of more traditional "adventure modules" (essentially, sets of three connected adventures in a particular location) that provided more immediately usable material for GMs. These adventure modules were shorter (usually 32-40 pages) and helpfully supplemented the broader campaign settings.

    One reason why I have such affection for ICE's Middle-earth line is that I learned how to run genuine "sandbox" campaigns (before that term was a thing) by using them in the mid-late 1980s. Essentially, the players would create characters in Esgaroth, Bree, Tharbad, or wherever, and just wander around, following whichever adventure hooks they liked. While I added hooks, encounters, and adventures to what was provided in the Middle-earth campaign modules, the books typically provided very solid frameworks for such campaigns. I learned a lot from using them -- indeed, trying to figure out how to use them, and doing what I could as a teenager to run challenging and fun sessions in Middle-earth, was a formative experience. (Beyond gaming, I think running MERP helped me to learn how to "think on my feet" far more than running D&D/AD&D modules ever did.)

    They varied in quality -- well, not the maps, which were always amazing -- but overall I loved MERP, and I still do to this day!

    ReplyDelete