Wednesday, September 20, 2023

Retrospective: World of Greyhawk

Longtime readers may object that I've already done a Retrospective post on The World of Greyhawk. Pedantic as ever, I must reply that, while it's true that I have indeed written a post about The World of Greyhawk, I have never written one about World of Greyhawk. If that last sentence makes any sense, congratulations, you are every bit the quibbler I am. Less fussy readers will probably require an explanation.

In 1980, TSR published The World of Greyhawk, a 32-page "fantasy world setting" by Gary Gygax for use with AD&D. Commonly referred to as the Greyhawk "folio," this is the version of the product that first introduced me to the Greyhawk setting and to which I devoted a previous Retrospective post. However, in 1983, TSR published a product called World of Greyhawk (without the definite article). This version of the setting came in a box and is greatly expanded in scope, consisting of a 48-page booklet and an 80-page one. I have never devoted a post to this version of the setting until now.

There are a couple of reasons why this is the case. The first and most obvious one is that I originally didn't see much point in doing so. Having already written about the folio version, I thought I'd said all I needed about the topic. The second is that, while I owned the boxed set, I didn't make much use of it in play. By the time of its release in 1983, I was making my earliest forays into the creation of my own setting, Emaindor, which I'd use almost exclusively for the remaining years of the 1980s. Consequently, my thoughts about the World of Greyhawk boxed set are almost entirely theoretical, rather than based on its use in play. All that said, as a good TSR fanboy, I did buy the boxed set and I spent a lot of time poring over its pages, so I do have some thoughts to share on it. 

The most obvious difference between the 1983 and 1980 editions is, of course, their relative sizes. The folio version was only 32 pages long – a quarter the length of the boxed set's two books combined. That's partly due to the fact that the boxed set includes a lot more information about the setting than did its predecessor (including a reprint of David Axler's magisterial 1982 Dragon article, "Weather in the World of Greyhawk"), but it's also due to changes in TSR's layouts and graphic design. The folio version's 32 pages are dense, with small fonts and narrow margins. By contrast, the boxed version has larger print and much larger margins. These changes are responsible for a great deal of the increase page count between the two editions.

What's interesting is that, despite appearing three years later, when TSR had significantly more resources to draw upon, the boxed set does not feature significantly more artwork than the folio version. Every fan of the 1983 version naturally remembers Jeff Easley's cover illustration, which is indeed striking (and features the knight bearing a banner on which can be seen the same escutcheon that appears on the cover of the 1979 Dungeon Masters Guide). However, there's very little interior art in either of the two enclosed books aside from historiated initial letters (rendered by Darlene, I believe). There is some – all by Easley – and it's not bad for what it is, though it's all fairly generic in the way that all TSR artwork was starting to become during its Electrum Age.

None of this is intended as a serious criticism of the boxed set, which is quite an attractive product overall. Rather, I say all of this primarily to highlight how much TSR – and, by extension, Dungeons & Dragons – had changed over the course of just three years. The company that produced the folio in 1980 was still small and energetic, as well understaffed and amateurish. It could still, I think, be called a hobbyist enterprise. By contrast, TSR in 1983 was both bigger and more "professional," but its growth in these areas had domesticated it somewhat. The World of Greyhawk was always rather vanilla, but its 1983 presentation takes that to another level.

Nevertheless, there is much to praise in the boxed set. TSR wisely collected many of Gygax's best Greyhawk-related articles from the pages of Dragon and included them here. I was a big fan of the coverage of Greyhawk's deities, for example, so seeing them in one of the constituent books was a thrill. The same is true (though less thrillingly) of the Greyhawk regional encounter tables, which are precisely the kind of low-key naturalism that is a hallmark of Gygaxian D&D. Combined with everything else, from kingdom and population information to geography and social hierarchies, the result is a solid, if also stolid, "fantasy game setting" for use with AD&D. 

In that respect, the 1983 boxed set is still very much in line with the 1980 folio, even if it's now longer and with higher production values. Despite my personal preference for the original, born out of both philosophical and nostalgic reasons, I think well of the World of Greyhawk boxed set and think it'd make a fine model for other fantasy RPG settings to emulate. It provides just enough details to inspire without becoming intrusive, which is how it should be, in my opinion.

20 comments:

  1. I have both (but no box. sad trombone). I liked them, but they never came into my play, I just liked the adventure in GH

    ReplyDelete
  2. This product, captured our imaginations. We made it our own, the Great Kingdom was the HRE, Nyrond was France etc. Now, after reading into the whole creation of this setting, how Mr Gygax's immediate world furnished the inspiration for this setting.
    Boss Daley indeed...
    Anyways, this is a fun site, for Greyhawk lore and trivia.

    https://www.greyhawkonline.com/grodog/gh_anagrams.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Nyrond was France etc."
      Please, could you elaborate? Where does this lore come from?

      Delete
    2. "We made it our own", that's it!
      Thanks.

      Delete
    3. yes haha after we saw, Herzogs, Hetmen, Atamen, Jarls, and a mountainous nation with a capital of Schwartzenbruin ha!

      Delete
  3. I didn’t play D&D when it was all the rage in the early 80s. Nonetheless, at some point during that time we went to Northland Mall in northern Columbus, Ohio. It was the cultural mecca of central Ohio at that time. The intersection between the two main thoroughfares was the prime location, and one of the stores on the four corners was Waldenbooks. There was, along one of the outward facing walls opening toward the mall, a giant display case. That day I recall walking by and seeing the Grayhawk set in full display, with mounted maps along with a plethora of other D&D items. Even if I wasn’t into it much then, I have to admit for pure visuals it made quite an impression on me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember a similar experience at a sprawling mall in Northern Virginia. It may have been early 1984; Waldenbooks shared a sort of crossroads in the mall with a Record Store (records, really!), and there was a massive poster with Dio's Last in Line album on display. For my life I can't recall the D&D display at Walden, but what I remember with complete nostalgic clarity was the impact of it. Amazing how some things touch our souls and never leave. I'm starting to think it was a big S4 display, with a massive punchbowl of dice. Awesome.

      Delete
  4. This is my favorite Greyhawk, the one I grew up with.
    I had seen the Folio but it looked a little too simple for my taste, the golden box looked just right to me.
    This is the ideal level of detail in a setting for me.
    And it always made me laugh that the Evil Great Kingdom is, basically, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just as a matter of interest, did the 1983 box include the Darlene map?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Naturalism = boredom? I got this box for a while (no mean feat in Hungary, about 30 years ago) but sold it (also a long time ago, so I couldn't make a killing on it). Can't say I miss it much, except for vague sentimental reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The fact that the WoG is so "vanilla" was a feature not a bug. It allowed the DMs of the day to see how a campaign setting was constructed, when many had not seen what was intended as a campaign setting under the rules. There had been guidelines, but never a full, proper example.

    Prior, there were three major campaign settings one could pick up and use, either as a setting or as an example/model:

    Tekumel, the Empire of the Petal Throne. Hardly for novices and, of course, not actually D&D.

    Arduin, which was not remotely an official D&D campaign setting, and in Gary's very public opinion, not at all what he had intended as such.

    The Wilderlands, which was a campaign setting from Judges Guild fully licensed and official for D&D.

    That's really it, for anything D&D.

    And so what Greyhawk brought to the game was the archetypal campaign setting, designed by the guy who wrote the rules, and presented with with every aspect thereof in mind, including the now lost End Game, as indicated in the supporting material from From the Sorcerer's Scroll.

    It was also presented as a framework upon which to hang your own setting, much in the same was as the Wilderlands, but from the top down instead of the ground up. Every Greyhawk campaign is different, some radically so, but everyone stupidly gets the same basic references. Together with the classic modules placed in Greyhawk, it created the ability to have shared experiences that still had individual and often wildly divergent campaign details.

    Which is why Greyhawk remains so popular in the minds of players from the day, even though everyone's experience varied greatly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know what autocorrect was thinking... "Every Greyhawk campaign is different, some radically so, but everyone stupidly gets the same basic references" should be "Every Greyhawk campaign is different, some radically so, but everyone STILL gets the same basic references."

    ReplyDelete
  9. Never get the point of Greyhawk. Guess It was just 'the Gygax world' and thus, the first contact for mang people with the notion of a world yo set your aventures in?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gotta remember before WoG, published campaign worlds were few and far between and it wasn't an easy thing for most DM's starting out to create from scratch. That's why the box set was important: as both a starting point when you were using the modules, but also as a template for building your setting when you were ready to do so.

      Delete
  10. That captures my feeling(s) exactly. It was more of a launch-point than a destination.

    ReplyDelete
  11. There probably isn't a single RPG product I've gotten more use out of than World of Greyhawk. I still have the two books but the maps are long gone.

    For a few years as both player and DM, World of Greyhawk was my campaign home. By 1990 we had by and large switched to homebrew worlds (aside from a short but fun campaign in Ptolus).

    Even then, those Greyhawk books served as templates for future World building.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Geez, this brings back memories. Over the decades I've run several campaigns based upon WoG, the last being a 3e campaign about 20 years ago. It's still my favorite official setting to this day, FR being a bit too "busy" for my liking, though it too had an awesome boxed set (perhaps even better, in some ways).

    That being said, I've found today's players don't seem to appreciate Greyhawk, at least in my experience, so I shy away from the setting when I run nowadays. Maybe it's the players, or the 5e system, or maybe I'm just old.

    ReplyDelete