Saturday, April 6, 2024

REVIEW: Terror in the Streets

Allow me to say once again, as I always do, that I am a huge fan of historical fantasy. From what I can tell, my fondness for it is unusual, both among RPG players and among RPG writers and broadly for the same reason: the perception that it's hard to get right – especially when there are legions of know-it-all armchair historians out there positively salivating at the possibility of uttering the dread incantation Ackchyually the moment they detect even the slightest deviation from the historical record. Consequently, I don't blame anyone who chooses to shy away from venturing anywhere near real world history in their RPG sessions or products.

Nevertheless, I remain deeply grateful to publishers like Lamentations of the Flame Princess and writers like Kelvin Green for their willingness to sate my peculiar tastes for fantastic adventures set in this world's historical past. Terror in the Streets – no, I won't be using the acronym – is a clever, well-presented and, above all, fun example of just how you can use real world history as a backdrop for a fantasy RPG adventure without either getting too bogged down in pointless minutiae or giving that history its proper due. It's not perfect by any means, but Terror in the Streets is very good.

Before proceeding to the meat of this review, I should add that there are, in fact, two different versions of Terror in the Street. The first (and the one I'm reviewing in this post) is a 96-page A5 hardcover book featuring a cover painting by Yannick Bouchard. The second version, entitled Big Terror in the Streets – no, just no – is a boxed set that features a lot of additional goodies, like a map of the city of Paris in 1630, player handouts, cardboard cut-outs, and a large yellow six-sided Unrest Die (for tracking the progress of civil unrest), in addition to an additional book, the 48-page Huguenauts and Other Distractions. Unfortunately, I don't believe Big Terror in the Streets is available in any form any longer, though there may still be copies of it floating around in secondary markets. That's a shame, since Huguenauts and Other Distractions has much to recommend it and indeed provides worthwhile fodder for anyone who continues to worry that historical fantasy is hard to get right. (If I find that the book is available, I'll do a review of it as well.)

Terror in the Streets is a murder mystery set in early 17th century Paris – "Jack the Ripper, but 250 years early," as the author describes it in his introduction. There's a serial killer of children loose in the city and it's up to the player characters to stop him. Just how and indeed why they might do so is an open question, one of many ways that Terror in the Streets might be called a "sandbox" adventure. Other than a timeline that dictates when and where the killer strikes (along with other key events), the course of the adventure is largely determined by the choices of the player characters, as they investigate, interact with NPCs, and deal with random encounters. 

This is, in my opinion, the only way to structure a murder mystery adventure without resorting to a more heavy-handed approach. Yes, this structure carries with it the risk that the characters might get lost in the weeds, wasting too much time on red herrings – of which there are quite a few in Terror in the Streets – and other irrelevant complications. However, the advantage of this more open-ended structure is that it's much more forgiving to the referee trying to keep track of all the moving parts that make up the scenario. Plus, the timeline, which exists independently of character actions, serves as a useful way to nudge their attention back toward more pressing matters. And there are even guidelines for what might happen if the characters fail to stop the killer, which is quite refreshing.

While the murder mystery scenario is a genuinely compelling one that nicely leverages multiple aspects of real world history, like the tensions between political and religious factions within Paris, it's not the only appealing thing about Terror in the Streets. Equally interesting in my opinion is its presentation of 17th century Paris – its districts, landmarks, taxi service companies, encounters, and, above all, unique NPCs – in effect a mini-gazetteer of the city. Taken together, these elements give the referee everything he needs to keep the characters engaged while in Paris, not just for this adventure but for others as well. It's nicely done and, reading through it, I found myself wishing that LotFP produced more material like this in the future.  

The only aspect of Terror in the Streets that might be considered a flaw is Green's humor-laden conversational style of writing. This is not a book whose author takes himself or the material too seriously. Consequently, there are asides, digressions, and meta-commentary scattered throughout, usually to good effect. Green is quite open about his inspirations and the shortcomings/limitations of the adventure, which is genuinely refreshing and indeed helpful. However, there are also occasional moments of goofiness and sly winks at the reader, like a mad wizard with wild hair and a beard named Alain de la Mare. These don't necessarily detract from the scenario, but I can easily some players and referees finding them off-putting, particularly those who prefer their historical fantasies straight. For myself, I found most of these elements amusing and felt they nicely demonstrated that there's no reason a historical scenario need be unduly solemn.

In the end, though, this is a small thing and Terror in the Streets is one of the best things Kelvin Green has written for LotFP to date. It's also one of the best historical fantasy adventures I've read in quite some time. Reading it, I was left with a small sense of disappointment that I am not refereeing a game where I could easily make use of it. Terror in the Streets is a well written, well presented scenario that is probably a lot of fun to play. I can think of no better compliment.

15 comments:

  1. heh, I would have used the acronyms. I am childish.

    but good review, you nail the big issue, where players may know more than the GM about the time period, and this can break the story/play

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having a game system in which non-human PCs are allowed, and in which character actions can change the world beyond all recognition (not saying that's the case for this adventure, but it's true for multiple other LotFP adventures) seems like a bad fit for a fantasy historical setting IMO. YMMV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right that, as written, LotFP supports demihuman characters. However, I'm not sure there's been a published adventure for it that has made use of them in a very long time. As for changing the world, it's a theoretical possibility in this scenario, but the default assumption is that it won't/can't happen (though there is a discussion of the repercussions if the referee decides to let the PCs change history as we know it).

      Delete
  3. Thank you for the very kind review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this product and yes, you could easily use it as a gazetteer for further adventures in 17th-century Paris. Green's crass humor is to me very gratifying; it fits the tone of the module. Other attempts to use humor fail miserably (think for example the Mystara gazetteer Orcs of Thar).

    My three favorite murder mysteries ever published for an RPG are as follows: (1) Murder on Arcturus Station (Traveller, 1983); (2) Terror in the Streets (LotFP, 2021); (3) Death of an Archmage (AD&D, Dragon #111, 1986). So Kelvin did quite fine indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good review. I share your enjoyment of historical fantasy. You may like to have a look at another LOTFP scenario - England Upturned. I have had a lot of fun with this, and consider it another very good example of the genre, with more chance of potentially significant changes to the historical record as we know it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an amazing adventure, one of the best. I love everything about it. I've only refrained from reviewing it because its author plays in my House of Worms campaign and I didn't want to appear unduly biased.

      Delete
  6. What a coincidence - that is, that the author plays in your campaign. England Upturned deserves more love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may still do a review. You're right: it deserves more love.

      Delete
  7. Thank you so much for this review! Kelvin is such a nice person, from our interactions online. Every year for probably 12 years now, he has contributed by my annual "Movember" fund-raiser, even though I've never met him in person.

    It was this kindness that prompted me to review Big Terror in the Streets as the first video of my YT channel. I felt like it was a way of "giving back" to him.

    I'm so glad to see others take note of Kelvin's work. That does remind me that I think I *first* heard of/and-or interacted with Kelvin in the comments here on your blog many moons ago! So thanks for building this community as well.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I see that someone else has already mentioned Murder on Arcturus Station. How do the two compare, in terms of setup and mechanics, I wonder?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd say Terror in the Streets is less open-ended than Arcturus Station, if only because there's a definite murderer. It's also a little more complex, since there are some "moving parts" that Arcturus Station doesn't have. Otherwise, they're not too dissimilar and someone who liked the approach of one would probably like the approach of the other.

      Delete
  9. The review made led me to check it out, and it seems that Big Terror in the Streets is in stock: https://www.lotfp.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=42&product_id=418

    ReplyDelete
  10. As Ezra Claverie said in a recent intervew (about a historical fantasy book je's making for LotFP): "A great RPG book has a commitment to bold and distinctive ideas, a willingness to sacrifice part of its potential audience to that commitment, and an editor who will not put up with bad prose."

    And I agree! Kelvin's is good prose, and even when he has a strong authoral voice that might get some people off, that is by no mean a flaw. On the contrary. Reading Kelvin's works is enjoyable in itself. I haven't read TitS *giggles* but I have read others, and I his voice is unique.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad someone read my blog interview! Ezra certainly knows about commitment to bold and distinctive ideas.

      TitS is a fantastic adventure, Kelvin's books often have me laughing out loud. Although I would portray Cardinal Richelieu as more of a sniveling worm like you see in Ken Russel's The Devils, a perfect companion film for this book actually.

      Delete