Wednesday, July 31, 2024

Retrospective: The Official Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Coloring Album

Over the years, I've made occasional posts in which I've shared an image from The Official Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Coloring Album, but I've never written a full Retrospective post about this curious – and amazing – product. Today, I intend to correct that oversight.

Released in 1979 just a few months prior to the disappearance of James Dallas Egbert III, the Coloring Album is a remarkable relic of the time just before Dungeons & Dragons ascended to the heights of name recognition that it's continued to enjoy ever since. Consequently, this 32-page, oversized book is something of a rarity nowadays. I knew nothing of its existence until I started writing this blog, despite the fact that it appeared shortly before I began playing D&D. I've likewise never seen a physical copy of thing, though one can easily find electronic versions online with only a little effort.

One might well imagine that, aside from the simple oddity of an AD&D coloring book, there's not much to say about this product, but that would be mistaken. Let's start with the obvious – the illustrations. In addition to the beholder battle I included earlier this week, there's this one, featuring a bulette:

And this one in which the adventurers discover a vault filled with treasure:
These only scratch the surface of the universally intricate and evocative art found throughout the Coloring Album. I may share some additional pages from the book in subsequent posts, because they're very much worthy of further comment. 

Equally of note is the artist responsible for all these illustrations: Greg Irons. Irons, who died in 1984 at the age of only 37, was well known in the underground comics scene of the 1970s. Prior to that, he worked as a painter of animation cels for the 1968 Beatles movie, Yellow Submarine. He'd also work in the burgeoning field of original poster art and tattooing. In short, Irons was deeply connected to the artistic counterculture of the period – a counterculture that was at the forefront of promoting fantasy images and themes from The Lord of the Rings to metal and prog rock albums to airbrushed "wizard vans."

The involvement of Irons shouldn't really be a surprise, given that the Coloring Album was published by Troubador Press of San Francisco. Though most of Troubador's titles were activity or coloring books, their audience wasn't just children. They frequently highlighted weird and offbeat interests, especially science fiction, fantasy, and the occult, which attracted many adults to them as well. Troubador treated these subjects seriously. Just as importantly, the company hired some of the best outsider artists to illustrate them with strange, compelling, and often psychedelic artwork that stood out from other similar books of the same time. The Official Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Coloring Album was, therefore, very much a product of the same counterculture that made the 1970s such a chaotic cauldron of creativity. 

The Album is also notable for being more than just a coloring book: it's also a game, albeit a very primitive one. The book presents itself as illustrating the various rooms and encounters found within "the depths of the vile dungeon" that holds a mystic talisman to be used "against the hordes of Evil threatening to overwhelm the Kingdom of Good." Included within is a map of the dungeon with simple rules using two six-sided dice to adjudicate battles, as the reader tries to guide his party of adventurers through the dungeon. The scenario and its accompanying text were apparently designed by Gary Gygax himself (who held copyright over the text). 

Though not one of Gygax's better adventure scenarios, the text accompanying the illustrations is surprisingly good, filled with lots of details and allusions to elements of D&D, as well as some from his World of Greyhawk setting. References are made to the Lake of Unknown Depths, the Green Dragon Inn, and St. Cuthbert, among a couple of others. It's quite fascinating to look at it now with an eye toward finding things you might have overlooked when you first saw it.

The Official Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Coloring Album is one of those early gaming products that might well qualify as a genuine "treasure." It's certainly one I wish were still readily available, because I think it's not only a fun book in its own right, but also an amazing reminder that D&D and, by extension, all roleplaying games grew up with and were influenced by the underground art scene of the '60s and '70s. It's a reminder of what D&D was like – and perhaps could have become – had it not eventually been seized by a corporatized desire to become a safe consumer product for the masses. 

12 comments:

  1. Still have fond memories of coloring Troubador's Science Fiction Anthology as a kid. I like to think it helped with my color choices later on when I started painting miniatures, although that didn't really take until I shifted away from historicals (which are rote work as far as I'm concerned) into fantasy and scifi after a few years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got this for my birthday or Christmas when it came out. Never been much of a visual artist but I remember enjoying playing through the (you're right, quite simple) game a few times by myself....solo games have this kind of dreamy thing that digital excitements don't duplicate, superior as they are in some other respects.

    My dad, who had a great stash of underground comics hidden in his closet, including some Yellow Dogs with contributions by Greg Irons, would probably have been very amused to know that the same artist did his kid's D&D coloring book.

    Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I had a copy. I'd definitely color it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe the map used here is identical to the one in the Holmes basic set intro adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not identical, but very close. Certainly inspired by it, or both were derived from some map Gygax had drawn up.

      Delete
    2. I had a closer look. One connection is removed, and one pair of rooms is relocated to a different corridor and the connecting corridors tend to be shorter. Otherwise, pretty much the same dungeon.

      Delete
  5. I love the AD&D coloring book. I encountered it in 6th grade, when some of my classmates made photocopies and shared. This was also the time I became aware of D&D (it took awhile to understand that there was D&D and AD&D). Awesome stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This thing is a perfect time capsule of 1970's D&D. Even when I found and purchased it in 1983 in the gift store of the Boston Museum of Science (of all places), I could tell it was an artifact from some earlier time. The party size is enormous, swelling with henchmen, the party meets in a tavern and travels overland to the dungeon, where the first monster they meet upon descending is a lich(!) who curses them and teleports them deep into the unknown levels of the dungeon, IIRC. What follows is a rollicking adventure featuring the BBGs of early D&D, encounters inspired by Gary G's Castle Greyhawk, such as warring factions of gnolls and hobgoblins, and a cover reminiscent of Holmes Basic with adventurers facing down an angry red dragon (with the viewer positioned as a member of the party). The dungeon is immense and dynamic - a place where literally anything can and does happen - and where the temptation to open "just one more door" can overcome the more prudent decision to return to town and resupply. Mine was lost to time, so my apologies if I am remembering anything incorrectly. What I remember best is how remarkably captivating this product was, which for a "coloring album" had no right to be this awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly DeepOne - that is what brought me into the game. This super exciting, mysterious, adventure that was sold in pictures and some text. As I came to find out, the pictures were based on rulesets and played adventures. I wonder if people (kids and/or adults) encountering the game now have that same feeling. Only they would know for sure, and if they are like me, they would have a hard time explaining it.

      Delete
  7. Still have my copy. :D Including two pictures partially colored (badly)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I may or may not still have my (partially colored) copy. One of my favorite D&D-related books, and yes, we stole much of the lore for use in our own games.

    ReplyDelete
  9. From the commenters recollections above, this does seem like the gateway to adventure for lots of people. It does seem immersion. If I'd have seen it as a 7 or 8yo I'd have bought it or pestered my parents. In fact I downloaded the Battletech colouring book from DTRPG only a couple of years ago.

    ReplyDelete