Monday, July 15, 2024

A (Very) Brief Pictorial History of Halflings

For today's look at the art of TSR era Dungeons & Dragons, I've decided to step away from monsters and instead focus on something a little different: halflings. Halflings, as everyone knows, originate in the works of J.R.R. Tolkien and have little or no antecedents in real world myth or legend. Despite Gary Gygax's well-known dislike of The Lord of the Rings, he was, however, a fan of The Hobbit, which introduced halflings – or, rather, hobbits – to the world. Both books were very popular among fantasy aficionados during the early 1970s, when D&D was born, so it's not at all surprising that Tolkien's diminutive creations should find their way into the game (along with several of his monsters). Of course, this usage was completely unauthorized and legally dubious. Saul Zaentz's Middle-earth Enterprises threatened legal actions against TSR for its usage of "hobbit" (and "ent" and "Nazgûl," I believe) in OD&D. Subsequent printings of the game, such as the one I own, changed "hobbit" to "halfling" and that term then became the common one in Dungeons & Dragons. 

There are no clearly identified illustrations of halflings in OD&D. However, there is this piece of Greg Bell artwork that I think is supposed to be a halfling:

As you can see, the illustration is crude and looks more like the common depiction of a leprechaun – note the hat – than what we now expect of a hobbit or halfling. However, there are no leprechauns in OD&D, playable or otherwise. Further, if you look carefully, you can see the figure above is using a sling in his right hand, a signature weapon of halflings in both OD&D and the Fantasy Supplement to Chainmail. 

The earliest unambiguous illustration of a halfling comes in the AD&D Monster Manual by David Sutherland. Sutherland's depiction is broadly consonant with Tolkien's descriptions of hobbits, including their hairy feet.
The next year, in 1978, Sutherland illustrated module B1, In Search of the Unknown. One such illustration shows a short figure I assume is meant to be a halfling. Because he has no beard, I don't think he's supposed to be a dwarf, but there's no way of knowing for certain.
Next up is Bill Willingham's take on a halfling from the 1980 reprint of White Plume Mountain – even though it actually depicts a polymorphed efreeti masquerading as a halfling. Once again, furry feet à la Tolkien are visible.
1980 also saw the release of Slave Pits of the Undercity, whose cover features this towheaded halfling by Jeff Dee.
The Tom Moldvay D&D Basic Set (1981) includes this depiction of several different character classes by Dave LaForce. In the bottom right-hand corner, you can see a halfling, armed with a bow. 
The Cook-Marsh Expert Set (1981) includes one of my favorite depictions of a D&D halfling (by Jeff Dee). 
Frank Mentzer's 1983 revisions of the Basic and Expert Sets include many illustrations of halflings, probably the most of any TSR edition of Dungeons & Dragons. For the purposes of space, I'm including only a single example (by Larry Elmore), though there are many other excellent options to choose from.
The same year saw the release of The Shady Dragon Inn, a supplement filled with artistic renderings of every conceivable D&D character type, including halflings. It also features portraits of characters based on the LJN D&D toy line, such as Figgen the Halfling Thief (whose toy, ironically, was never actually produced as far as I know). This is Timothy Truman's version of Figgen:
In the third episode of the first season of the Dungeons & Dragons cartoon series (also 1983), we're introduced to a character called Hector the Halfling (who's actually bad guy Venger disguised by magic). He's the only halfling to appear in the series of looks quite different than all previous depictions of the race. He lacks hairy feet, but he wears peculiar pants that cover half of his oversized feet, leaving the toes visible. He also has pointed ears, an inconsistently portrayed aspect of D&D halflings.
The Forgotten Realms Campaign Set (1987) presents us with another slightly anomalous vision of halflings. Jeff Easley's halflings are skinny, goofy-looking little people with mildly larcenous demeanors. They still have big, slightly hairy feet, but otherwise strike me as quite unique.
Jim Holloway's version of halflings from 1989's Monstrous Compendium is, in my opinion, a little creepy, with his heavy eyebrows, half-lidded eyes, and languorous pose. He also boasts a veritable mane of hair that starts at his ankles and then drapes over the tops of his feet. To my eyes, the overall effect is suggestive of a satyr rather than a hobbit and I can't say I'm keen on it.
Tony DiTerlizzi's piece from the 1993 Monstrous Manual is better, exuding a kind of scrappy heroism that works well for halflings. 
As you can see from just this small sampling of illustrations, there's never been a fully consistent conception of halflings. I wouldn't be surprised if this was driven, at least in part, by a desire to legally distinguish D&D's diminutive race from Tolkien's hobbits. At the same time, there can be no question that, at base, halflings are hobbits in all but name. The presence of hairy feet – a characteristic derived from Tolkien – in nearly all of the above pieces of artwork demonstrates that. If the intention were to avoid comparisons to the denizens of Middle-earth, you'd think removing that feature would have been at the top of the art director's list. (Interestingly, the kender of Dragonlance pointedly wear shoes – take that, Saul Zaentz!).

There's a lot more to be said on this topic, I think, but I'll leave that to another day. For now, I'm interested in your thoughts about both the art and the place of halflings in your own D&D campaigns. Do you use them? Do you, like me, replace them with another race? Or you omit them entirely? 

43 comments:

  1. "Saul Zaentz!"

    Don't say that name three times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Hey! The phone is circular-metal-banding!"

      (Behind the scenes quote from TSR after receiving a sternly worded letter from the Tolkien estate, courtesy of Phil & Dixie.)

      Delete
  2. I like and use them. I despise their replacement, kender.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe it’s just me, but I think the halfling from the D&D cartoon isn’t wearing pants, but maybe has a furred waist and legs that for some reason terminate mid-foot? Also, that guy with the big beret in the FRCS picture has some serious Jack Benny vibes.

    As far as using halflings, I’m pretty much open to all playable races. I don’t like telling players no if I don’t have to, and they are in the books so why not? My current family game has a dwarf, a drow, a dhampir, a dragonborn and a locathah, so halflings would be downright pedestrian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I'm not the only one who thinks "Hector" is going pantsless. Here I was afraid I was the only one.

      Going by a google image search both those halflings are using classic Jack Benny arm poses. I mostly know him from OTR broadcasts and the odd parody in Warner Brothers cartoons but now that you mention it the connection's pretty clear.

      Delete
    2. And the one in the foreground appears to be making a version of the obscene gesture known as the fig...

      Delete
    3. Definitely not the only one who thought Hector was pantsless. Though I don't suppose there's any direct influence, Hector looks a little like the depictions of Bilbo in the Russian translation of The Hobbit, which also have hairy legs up to the midsection.

      Delete
    4. Oh, I was thinking Jon Pertwee!

      Delete
  4. In some of the settings I've developed over the years, I have replaced halflings with konies (or koni, konim, or similar in different settings), which are little rabbit-like people who are otherwise mechanically identical to halflings. I develop a lot of their cultural aspects from Bunnies & Burrows, though, including their large, communal burrows. I got the original idea from B. Dennis Sustare's and Arnold Hendrick's "bunrabs", detailed in their game, Swordbearer, as well as the inspiration from Sustare's earlier game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that's my approach too, though I extend it to all kinds of "funny animal people" like Runequest ducks, froglings, and in a desert setting, armadillo-folk.

      Delete
    2. One of the things I love about durulz is that they are small and relatively frail, like hobbits, but they are culturally just like any other Orlanthi, with perhaps even more of a strong sense of honor.

      Delete
  5. Huh. I always thought "Hector the Halfling" from the cartoon didn't have pants on at all and that was all fur, kind of like a satyr. Cartoon characters like Porky Pig and Donald Duck have led me to expect weird displays of semi-nudity.

    Speaking of which, Holloway's 1983 MC halfling doesn't look so much "creepy" to me as he does "stoned off his gourd on pipeweed" - which certainly wasn't tobacco in Tolkein's stories. Regardless, the hair's all wrong and usually is. JRRT is very clear about how halfling hair is curly, both head and foot. It ought to resemble the fur of a terrier breed, and that one's closer to a sheepdog.

    Interesting to note that the trend away from portly-to-obese halflings started as early as 1978 there. I know a lot of folks who started D&D with WotC who think that was their innovation, but Dee's ripped little athletes put the lie to that. WotC did embiggen them some - they're not 3 feet tall as "halfling" would imply any more - and they're much less likely to go barefoot. When they do, it's often tied to them being avid riverine boaters and a "nomad of the waterways" thing. Kind of a weird take, but it's at least somewhat original.

    No mention of Dark Sun's infamous man-eating eco-warrior used-to-rule-the-world halflings? I suppose there weren't a ton of illustrations of those, but they're about as divergent conceptually as it gets.

    Halfings are usually either banned in my homebrews (I throttle back the number of sapient humanoids something fierce in general) or when they do get in it's as the lower end of a spectrum human subspecies, with small folk, common folk and tall folk coexisting with each other. To some degree I credit Skyrealms of Jorune with that idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. '"stoned off his gourd on pipeweed" - which certainly wasn't tobacco in Tolkein's stories.'
      Not sure if serious. If you are serious, I'd reply that I'd be astonished were it anything else in Tolkien's mind.

      Delete
    2. In the Prologue to The Lord of the Rings, Tolkien says that pipeweed was "a variety probably of Nicotiana."
      Nicotiana is the genus to which tobacco belongs (it's Nicotiana tabacum). Make of this what you will.

      Delete
    3. "Not sure if serious. If you are serious, I'd reply that I'd be astonished were it anything else in Tolkien's mind."

      Exactly. Tolkien wasn't a Hippie. Not even a Beat.

      Delete
  6. Surprised you didn’t include a picture of a kender, James, which—whatever one thinks of Dragonlance—always struck me as the first really creative, sui generis, version of the halfling in dnd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unlike a lot of old school fans, I actually think the kender are fine as replacements for halflings, but I do consider them unique enough that I didn't include them here.

      Delete
  7. DCC's take on halflings justifies their use quite nicely by calling back to Bilbo's stated role in the hobbit - making them a luck battery that can loan out bonuses to the rest of the party. Unfortunately despite a spread of thief and melee abilities they're easily the least interesting class to play yourself so I've modded them a bit in my own campaigns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "stated role"? It's been a long time since I read The Hobbit, but I don't remember anything like that.

      Delete
    2. Thirteen is a very unlucky number so they added a burglar to make it fourteen. I guess you could say it was about preventing bad luck but Bilbo was indeed very lucky. Or was it God all along????

      Delete
    3. And when talking to Smaug, Bilbo calls himself the lucky number.

      Delete
  8. I just call them hobbits though sometimes they get called halflings (just like in the books).

    There's a bit of speculation that Tolkien took the word from the Denham Tracts.

    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denham_Tracts

    Incidentally the list of creatures is a useful starting point for anyone creating creatures of their own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every time I go through that list it feels like there's a few new names. Which is no doubt true - even if it isn't fairies playing tricks, wiki's easy to edit. :)

      Delete
  9. There's also what I interpret to be a halfling on page X16 helping out illustrating what Wizard Eye does.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The countdown to Drow . . . starts now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Already done: https://grognardia.blogspot.com/2009/06/early-pictorial-history-of-drow.html

      Delete
  11. That Dee illo of the halflings in Expert is my iconic view of D&D halflings. As most D&D worlds are far more dangerous and monster-filled than Eriador in the late Third Age, halflings would, as a rule, have to be more like Bullroarer Took than Frodo Baggins. That halfling looks ready to jump on a pony and start whacking at orcs with a club! Heck, he looks ready to show that smart-mouthed human what for, too...

    I often wonder if maybe this illo had some influence on the newlyns and daikinis of Willow... this totally looks like an encounter between a muscley nelwyn and Madmartigan...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can we mention the Rob Liefield-ish abomination that is the 5th edition halfling art? It's as if, in order to distance themselves from the Tolkien vision, they gave them abnormally small instead of large feet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like and use. Tolkien shaped my first impression of these agrarian folk followed by Rankin/Bass and Ralph Bakshi. Occasionally used the early D&D version that basically portrayed them as the local thieves guild, but more for comedy relief. I think Finieous and Dragon magazine had something to do with that.

      Delete
  13. Funny enough, within the last two days the subject of Halflings has come up in conversation with my gamer friends and I. Largely, the talk surrounded the fact that when I first played D&D at the age 8, I had no idea what they were supposed to be beyond beings Halflings.

    I wasn't familiar with Tolkien, hadn't yet read the Hobbit or the LotR, and generally didn't have much to go on beyond the D&D art itself. I imagined them as smaller Elves, like the Elves of folklore and Santa's Workshop. I mean, Dwarves came from Snow White and the Faeries book by Froud and Lee so similar sources colored my view of Halflings.

    Currently, we're I to play one or use them in a game, I'd go with Ryoko Kui's Half-foots from her Anome/Manga series Dungeon Meshi aka Delicious in Dungeon. I love their look and how they are commonly mistaken for Human children.

    https://delicious-in-dungeon.fandom.com/wiki/Half-foots

    ReplyDelete
  14. Whilst White Plume Mountain does indeed have efreeti, the halfling in question is a polymorphed ogre mage, IIRC

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just straight up use Moogles from Final Fantasy's Ivalice.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't often have players wanting to run halfling characters, but I'd allow it if someone wanted to. They're just off on the edges of things somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  17. As with all early D&D art, I defer to Jeff Dee's depictions.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Never liked Holloway's halflings. Comic relief characters. Half-shaved ewoks.

    I also never really felt that D&D halflings needed to ape Tolkien's hobbits that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holloway's art sometimes felt like it was flirting with comedy even when he was doing a serious subject. Look at the "hush!" cover on the Megatraveller Player's Guide for an example, or that Dragon cover where the one guy has "hooked" a dragon. Made him a great fit for Paranoia and Tales From the Floating Vagabond, though.

      He also drew a lot of pieces where one character is hiding from the other(s). Never really noticed that before, but he was really good at selling the "I'm just out of their field of vision" thing to the viewer.

      Delete
    2. I really hated Holloway's cover for the MT Players' Manual. Still hate it, as I just reconfirmed by pulling out my copy.

      Delete
    3. I love Holloway's work, but I agree: he was not the best choice for MegaTraveller.

      Delete
  19. So, not "A short history of halflings"?

    ReplyDelete
  20. That second Dee illustration has always bugged the heck out of me. What in the world is going on with his ribcage?

    ReplyDelete