Tuesday, July 16, 2024

The Articles of Dragon: "Singing a New Tune"

In starting this new iteration of The Articles of Dragon, I struggled a bit with deciding when to begin. The very first issue of Dragon I remember buying for myself – from Waldenbooks, no less – was issue #62, which features a phenomenal cover painting by Larry Elmore. However, I'd been reading the magazine for a few months prior to that purchase, largely thanks my friend's older brother, who acted as one of our gaming mentors. He had a collection of Dragon issues and we'd often sneak into his basement bedroom to read them when he was out of the house. 

Issue #56 (December 1981), with its memorable Phil Foglio cover, was among the issues in that collection and is thus the first Dragon magazine I ever read. It's not a great issue, at least in comparison to many of those that followed, but it has two articles in it that I remember quite vividly, the first of which I decided would be the first entry in this new series, whose purpose, after all, is to use old Dragon articles as an occasion to share memories of my early days in the hobby.

Written by Jeff Goelz, "Singing a New Tune" offers up "a different bard, not quite so hard" for use with Advanced Dungeons & Dragons. AD&D's bard, as presented in the Players Handbook, is a bizarre and unprecedented multi-class/split class thing. A prospective bard begins play as a fighter. Then, after achieving a level between 5 and 7, he takes up thievery. He then abandons the thief class sometime between 5th and 9th level and becomes a bard proper. Why Gygax opted for this scheme is unclear, since Doug Schwegman's original bard class from Strategic Review, Vol. 2, issue 1 (September 1976) is a straightforward class without multiclassing. So different is this class than any other in the game that it's stuck in an appendix at the end of the PHB.

In his article, Goelz proposes to return bards to something closer to what was seen in the Strategic Review, albeit with numerous tweaks of his own. He begins with an amusing exchange between a DM and two half-orc NPCs, in which they discuss bards.

I was so taken with this dialog that, all these years later, I can still quote sections of it from memory. The idea of a Dungeon Master chatting with two non-player characters, who call him "boss," is quite funny to me for some reason. The dialog also serves the purpose of pointing out the problems with both previous versions of the bard class.

Goelz opted for a middle road between a wholesale rewriting of the class and a simple reworking of what had come before. He looked to the Welsh bard, both historical and mythical, for inspiration, using it as a guide for what aspects of previous bard classes to retain, to omit, or to alter. The result is, in my opinion, pretty good – simpler, more playable, and with a power level that's comparable to the other AD&D classes. Most importantly, Goelz's bard has a clear niche for itself as a loremaster with strong social skills and a smattering of druid and illusionist spells.

That list bit is important, because I think the real judge of whether the existence of a class is justified is its role within the game. Both previous versions of the bard were very broad classes with a wide range of skills and abilities that stepped on the toes of several other classes. This new one is much more unique, carving out a specific role that is not clearly served by any other class. That it's also mechanically less onerous is another point in its favor. That's why I was quite taken with it when I first read this article more than forty years ago.

At the same time, I've never been a huge fan of any version of the bard class. The bard has always felt weirdly specific – Goelz's version especially so – in much the same way that the monk did. In some campaign settings, a bard is perfectly reasonable and appropriate, while in others it would stick out like a sore thumb. My dislike is also probably a function of the people I've know who are boosters of the class: flamboyant, theatrical types with a penchant for extemporaneous poetry and song. I readily admit this is a me problem, not a bard problem as such, but it's there nonetheless. That's why I cannot recall the last time I've permitted a bard in any of my D&D campaigns. Were I to do so, however, I wouldn't hesitate to use the version in this article (or some variation thereof).

16 comments:

  1. This was my first issue of Dragon, so it holds a lot of memories for me. I did play this version of the Bard at one point, although the character didn't last long.

    What most sticks in my memory from this issue though is a bit from the Top Secret module. A toilet is booby trapped to set off a smoke bomb when flushed. I was intrigued if this was a game in which characters were expected to go to the bathroom regularly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I first encountered this article in one of the Dragon Annuals, and I have a similar fondness for the vignette at the beginning.

    I have a slightly different take on the role of bards in the setting I run. I give bardic training to a lot of NPC leader types, for the same reason that elites in the past studied rhetoric and elocution; being able to inspire or persuade is part of the job. And while players can pick what they want, the stereotypical flamboyant performer NPC in my game is likely to be a minstrel, not a combat trained bardic spellcaster.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember that dialogue, too, and I don’t have this issue. It was justifiably collected in the Best of Dragon III, and was one of the better choices for that collection, in my opinion (although I did enjoy have the “point of view” articles all in one place).

    The first Best of The Dragon was an eye-opener for me. I’d had no idea of the history of the game until finding that volume, and I read and re-read it incessantly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How different is this version from the 2E bard? Obviously the spell list is likely different, but I’d always assumed the 2E bard meshed fairly well with everything else. Enough that I recall a podcast where Ed Greenwood said his home campaign was “1E with 2E bards”.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My take on this article (and bards in general) is very similar to yours. We were happy to use Goelz's bard when this was published, because finally someone who wanted to play a bard could play a bard instead of going through all those fighter and thief levels. I think Wymarc from Quag Keep made a strong impression on some of our gaming group. As time went on, though, I met more and more people who went for the "flamboyant minstrel" idea of the bard, culminating in the GM who halted a session of Rolemaster to dress me down for "playing the bard wrong."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The modern trend toward the bard being some kind of fantasy version of a 70s party-animal rock star drives me nuts. The "bard seduces everything" trope is just freaking bizarre.

      Delete
    2. I understand how you feel, but I think this is where the culture is right now. It's like how Thieves Guilds when I see them in play are modeled more after The Godfather than how they are portrayed in any tales of Lankhmar.

      Delete
  6. I'm still rather fond of the Dark Sun version, even if they didn't really fit the setting very well. Porting an entertainer-messenger-spy bard with a sideline in poisoning to (say) a political campaign set in something like a fantasy version of the Italian city-states would have left them feeling right at home, though. Or Birthright, the Dark Sun bard could have worked well there too.

    Admittedly, not really good at dungeon delving and fighting random monsters, so maybe better to just go play Blades In the Dark to scratch that itch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've always wanted to play a bard but never had the opportunity. As written in the PHB appendix I find it an awkward class, primarily because of the spells.

    Were I to redesign it I'd assign Charisma as the class prime requisite and refocus around language, persuasion and lore like abilities rather than spells. I would give the bard bonus languages, an improved NPC & monster reaction bonus and be tempted to give the bard the thief's abilities to Read Languages, the uncertain ability to use magical scrolls and an ability to use music, poetry and song to influence the emotions of friends and foes. I'd also be tempted to allow the bard to detect but not identify a magic item by touch and feel as they handle it. Full identification of an item.would be much longer, in the order of days to weeks or months depending upon how powerful the item is.

    I feel that lore is a harder thing to play out at the table. Archaeologists, art and antique experts can often form a general impression of an object quickly, within a few minutes, but a detailed understanding takes much longer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was never interested in playing a bard, but I did consider a monk. I think it was the "quivering palm" attack and also the rule I vaguely remember as "will not take fall damage if within _?_ feet of a wall" they got at level 10, I think?

    I never played either class until I played the new Baldur's Gate. I don't know how representative that game is of 5th edition, but bards are probably the most powerful class in the game. They're extremely versatile and they have the capacity to deal as much or more damage than all but a couple of classes in the game.

    Apart from a cantrip called "cutting words," there's not a lot of performance involved in the base class. You can do it, but it doesn't seem as central to the class as it was in AD&D.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So you've done the nigh impossible and rolled ability scores that qualify you to be a bard. Do you want to be one? Sure you do! This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

    "But wait! First I have to spend a year or two in real time not being a bard? That's screwed-up!"

    Well, I'm here to unscrew things. Just pretend that you're an inattentive reader who tends to skim rather than read:

    Step 1 of 1: Blow right past the paragraph on p. 117 of the PHB under "THE CLASS". Notice only its last sentence: "They must always remain neutral, but can be chaotic, evil, good, or lawful neutral if they wish."

    Problem solved! You rolled-up a bard, and now you are a bard, right out of the gate. All you needed to do was aggressively ignore a paragraph.

    When you go to roll your starting hit points, you'll notice that the HD column in Bards Table I has a formatting error. You can't have 0 hit dice! So you just shift that whole column up one notch. Your 1st-level bard has 1 HD, and a 23rd-level bard has 10+13 HD.

    "What attack matrix do I use?"

    Page 74 of the DMG: "ATTACK MATRIX FOR FIGHTERS, PALADINS, RANGERS, BARDS, AND 0 LEVEL HALFLINGS AND HUMANS". Ah, so a fighter. (Remember, you're an inattentive reader, so you blithely ignore the asterisk.)

    "Saving throws?"

    Well, you attack as a fighter, so you must save as one as well.

    "Wait a minute. It can't really be that easy."

    It is. You're welcome. :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Minor nitpick: The prerequisites for the PHB Bard required dual classing, not multiclassing. Dual classing was only open to humans, where they could 'drop' their current class and start over at level 1 in a new class. It was their consolation prize for not being able to multiclass. As a side note, aren't Half Elves an allowable race for the PHB Bard. I'm not sure how that was supposed to work, since they couldn't dual class.

    In a way, the Bard class was the first prestige class in D&D history.

    The Heretic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are correct. Dual classing is one of those weird aspects of AD&D I often forget, since it wasn't an option anyone I knew took advantage of.

      Delete
    2. I once (and only once) dual-classed from magic-user to fighter following one of those homebrew magic fountain incidents that permanently changed my stats at third level. Wound up with a much lower intelligence and a much higher strength and con, didn't want to retire, and somehow managed to live long enough (with three levels of those dreadful MU HD) to actually be able to start using the MU side of my character again. Being a mostly-fighter still able to access MU items and cast a few spells was nice, but he finally bought it for good around MU3/Ftr6.

      Not really a voluntary choice on my part, though.

      Delete
  11. A more interesting Bard could also be seen as a medieval fantasy beat-zen, drug using, hermetic, alchemical, occult magician/monk, outlaw, artist/poet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The bard class should have never been culture specific. There are examples all over the world throughout history.

    The most well known (in the West) are--
    The scop of ancient Germania.
    The skald of ancient and migration period Scandinavia.
    The troubadour of medieval Spain, France, and Normandy.

    Others less well known are--
    The rhapsodes of acient Greece.
    The ugata of the Ancient Hindus.
    The bhats and charan of medieval India.
    The ozan of the Turkish nomads of late antiquity and the medieval period.
    The griot of Medieval Mali, as well as numerous other examples all over Africa (arokin, gawlo, jali, etc.)

    Making the class reflect whatever specific culture the pc/npc belongs to (including those representing medieval Britain, Celtic Gaul, etc. as bards) would make the most sense imho.

    Mayponce

    ReplyDelete