Sunday, August 22, 2010

Holmes Photo

I was poking around on my computer, looking for an old document and I discovered a photograph of the late Dr. J. Eric Holmes I'd found somewhere on the web. I wish I could remember the source; I suspect it might have been on ERBZine or another site related to Burroughs, since it looks like the kind of photograph you'd see at the back of a novel. Regardless of its source, I was happy to find it, since there aren't a lot of good photographs of Dr. Holmes that I've seen and fewer still that reveal something of his thoughtfulness and intelligence.

11 comments:

  1. That photo is on the back of Dr. Holmes' book, "Fantasy Role Playing Games."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I assume he is a Ph.D versus a medical doctor? What was his degree in?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris,

    Thanks! That's a book I don't (yet) own, so I'd never have known otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Todd,

    Holmes was a medical doctor and was a professor of neurology at USC, though I don't believe he held a Ph.D.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photo. Thank for sharing it! I have a different photo of Dr. Holmes, which I believe is from the same book, in a picture widget on my blog. In shows him "in action," Dming.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I highly recommend buying Holmes' book. It is one of my "treasures." I often look to it when looking back on the early days of the hobby, the days before I started playing in 1981.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep, that's from the back cover."Fantasy Role Playing Games" is one of the treasures of my collection.

    Security word: "holmis." Kind of fitting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I must say...Check out that wicked awesome Tie!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The photos of Dr Holmes remind me rather a lot of Donald Sutherland's portrayal of Willam Reich in the video to Kate Bush's "Cloudbusting".

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great photo! Who wouldn't want that dude running your game?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Every time you post this photo I am reminded of this Calvin and Hobbes, c. 1992: http://bit.ly/bmvZ2U. Sorry if this is disrespectful, there is no intention, but man that pose is so staged.

    ReplyDelete