Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Update

Needless to say, I have been neglectful of this blog over the past two weeks and I offer apologies to my regular readers who've been no doubt anxiously awaiting more grognardly goodness (ha!). I've been distracted by a number of more pressing matters, but some of the haze is beginning to clear and I hope to be back in the saddle again by the end of the week. Quite a lot has happened in the old school gaming world while I was away, so I will almost certainly have much to say on recent events, as well as my usual musings.

In the meantime, to tide you over, I offer you the late David Sutherland's illustration of the succubus from the AD&D Monster Manual (1977). Enjoy!

8 comments:

  1. A worthy heir to the topless amazon in OD&D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. According to legend, this picture was modeled from a photo in Playboy. Anyone ever try a mythbuster test on this by looking through Playboy magazines from that era. Someone should volunteer - it's a dirty job (ahem) but someone ought to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back James. I had begun to worry about what might have happened to you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You don't need a legend to know she's based on a playboy model, you just need eyes.... If she's a demon, then the planes of the Abyss have a Hefnerian sensibility.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was wondering what was up with you. Just last night I sent off a message to rogers. That is discontinued and had me wondering. Then when I was searching for a different address, I found this post. When you get a chance, drop me a line from your current address. Oh and welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Matt: indeed, the Playboy issue was ID'd by Paul Stormberg on the Acaeum, via his interviews with DCSIII prior to David's death. See http://www.acaeum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3371 and the issue in question is Feb 1977.

    Allan.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Must be something in the air. I plugged in a lot of dance-style pop, sat down to start working on my blog again, and found this as one of the first on my list.

    Once more into the breach, dear friends...

    - Brian

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry for the disappearance. I've been distracted with some real life stuff and I'm only now sort of getting out from under it. Anyway, regular service will resume over the next day or so.

    As for my email address, use the Gmail one posted here for now. My Rogers address was appropriated by a spammer to sell replica watches and my inbox was deluged by over 1000 bounced emails a day. Needless to say, I deleted it. I'll have a new one available to my regular friends and contacts shortly.

    ReplyDelete