Thursday, December 25, 2008

Merry Christmas


I recently stumbled across this image on the Gygax Games forums and thought it an appropriate Christmas greeting for the blog and a reminder of the many fine people who helped build the hobby during the Golden Age. The image originally appeared in issue 11 of The Dragon (December 1977) and was apparently used as a Christmas card by TSR at the same time. The piece was illustrated by Dave Trampier (shown trying to grab his hat) and also includes caricatures of Gary Gygax (seated next to Tramp and smiling for the camera), Tom Wham, who's peering over at the precariously balanced Dave Sutherland, while Jake Jaquet reads, peacefully oblivious to Tim Kask's poor flying sleigh driving skills. Rob Kuntz is parachuting away from this madness and the poor fellow falling headfirst is Joe Orlowski, who was an editor and manager at The Dragon in its early days.

I'd like to extend my good wishes to all my readers this Christmas season. May you all enjoy a peaceful and joyous holiday.

Lux fulgebit hodie super nos: qui natus est nobis Dominus: et vocabitur Admirabilis, Deus, Principes pacis, Pater futuri saeculi: cujus regni non erit finis.

6 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas to you and yours, James! Thanks for a wonderful year of great thoughts and a really rockin' game!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas to you and yours! May your day be filled with joy and happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas and thanks for you blog. I found it some days ago.

    Since Im starting a new campaign and wanted to discover who were the best modules of old D&D. Your post was very helpful to me to get an idea, but also I found another post who catch significantly my attention.

    I can´t say that I´m and old school player, (I started on the 92 which was when AD&D 2 edition arrived to Spain) but i do love old this old stuff.

    Thanks again an Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merry Christmas, James. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with this in the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. FYI, Tim Kask posted this to the Gygax Forum.

    "Just a cautionary note : That art that you posted is owned by me, as all are rights to usage. Gary was the only other person that had permission to use it.

    I have no problem with this usage for the Holidays; I have just shared it on another board."

    He also posted a photo of the original he has, along with a contest, on Dragonsfoot.

    http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=665848#p665848

    ReplyDelete
  6. If Mr Kask wants me to remove the image, I'd be happy to do so.

    ReplyDelete