Sunday, May 30, 2010

Sad News

According to a post written yesterday, one of my favorite non-gaming blogs, The Cimmerian, will cease to be on the second weekend of next month. While I fully understand and appreciate the reasons for this turn of events, I'm disappointed nonetheless. While there are many, many other fine Robert E. Howard-focused blogs and forums out there, for me, the Cimmerian will always be the one that connected me to the others. It was a gateway to the world of contemporary pulp fantasy scholarship and criticism and I'm very grateful for its existence.

Nothing -- especially good things -- last forever, but that doesn't mean I don't feel a twinge of sadness upon learning of the blog's imminent end. Its bloggers will still be around, of course, most likely relocated to other venues. Likewise, there will still be plenty of REH-focused discussion and commentary at places like the official Conan forums, REH: Two-Gun Raconteur, and REHupa, among others. But make no mistake: an era is ending and I am sorry to see it pass.

I suspect I won't be alone in feeling this.

3 comments:

  1. The Cimmerian is one of my favorite blogs as well. This is sad news indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well at least it was a good run, and coincided with my own rediscovering of the 'real' Conan and Howard's works. Great website.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a gateway to the world of contemporary pulp fantasy scholarship

    There ain't so such animal.

    ReplyDelete