Wednesday, November 8, 2023

"No, real life is quite horrible."

Several people sent me pointers to this while I was busy elsewhere last month – thanks to everyone who did so – but it's fascinating enough that I wanted to spread the love. It's a video segment from the BBC regional magazine, South East at Six, devoted to roleplaying games. Originally airing on October 6, 1983, the segment is notable for including interviews with Games Workshop founders Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone, as well as Gary Chalk and Joe Dever. The segment is short, only a little over four minutes, but it's well worth your time. Take a look!

7 comments:

  1. Goodness, Joe Dever changed a lot over the years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm amused that during the intro, he's talking about D&D, and the artwork is from Runequest (And is quite racy compared to the current, more logically attired, version of that art that I'm familiar with, from the cover of Mythras .)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although I can't find it anymore, I have the feeling I have seen this exact same fragment somewhere before. Perhaps - or even most likely - even on this very same blog. But even if my mind is playing tricks on me, thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think an audio clip from this was used in Kim Newman's BBC Radio 4 retrospective on D&D some years ago - it might have been that.

      Delete
    2. Hey, thanks for the reply ! But it seems unlikely that I heard an audio fragment of this on the radio, as I rarely listen to the radio (not even the BBC), and clearly remember the video of the interview part/fragment(s) with Steve Jackson. Anyway, thanks again.

      Delete
    3. Hrm. Did some more searching, and it just might have been this over on enworld, only barely about a month ago; thus further emphasizing the deep failure(s) of the way my memory currently works. Oh, well.

      https://www.enworld.org/threads/on-this-day-in-1983-the-bbc-explains-d-d.700284/

      Delete
  4. Ian's Porsche 911SC is very snazzy

    ReplyDelete