Tuesday, September 17, 2024

ElfQuest Returns

I've been an admirer of Chaosium boxed sets for a long time and consider many of them to be among the best RPG products ever released. That's why I was very quick to snap up the 40th anniversary reprint of Call of Cthulhu the company announced in 2021. Building on that success, Chaosium announced another re-release of a classic Basic Role-Playing-derived game, ElfQuest.

The remastered set will come in a 2" box and include not only the 2nd edition ElfQuest rulebook and related materials, but also The ElfQuest Companion, The Sea Elves, and Elf War supplements. Though I don't count myself a fan of ElfQuest, this announcement nevertheless makes me very happy. I love it when old RPGs are faithfully re-released for a new generation of fans to discover and appreciate. Chaosium has a very good track record when it comes to projects like this, so I think anyone who is an ElfQuest fan would do well to take a serious look at this.  

7 comments:

  1. I will back it, likely. I have the boxed set, and the softcover, but not the sea elves

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought it back in the day after seeing the ad. Made me go out and buy/read some of the comics. I do not remember details about either..just mental images of the art. I think I enjoyed it? Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow. I see now that it's a re-release of the 2nd edition. I didn't even know there was a second edition. I might have been out of TTRPGs at this point. I definitely had the first set within a few weeks of release. I recall seeing ads for it- probably in Different Worlds. And then it showed up at WYG?

      Delete
    2. pretty sure the second is just the first with the companion material addee

      Delete
  3. Sadly, we don't appear to be getting a re-issue of Ringworld, which is also on its 40th anniversary. Then again, Elfquest has an animated series supposedly in the works (that stuff has fallen through multiple times in the past) and a major color reprint from Dark Horse, while Ringworld is pretty much done and the RPG is so old it only covers the first two books of the extended series, so either two or seven books out of date depending on how you count Fleet of Worlds (spoilers: it counts). RW needs a whole new edition on top of the license renewal, which is much worse than EQ's situation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Suprised they’re not republishing Superworld instead, being that it help jumpstart the Wild Card books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My wife got me into EQ. I have the original rules in my collection as well as the graphic novels.

    ReplyDelete