Thursday, September 5, 2024

Hidden Details

In a comment to my earlier post about level titles beyond Dungeons & DragonsTamás Illés pointed out that the later installments of the computer game Wizardry included level titles (as did EverQuest). Not being well versed in the history of the Wizardry, this comment naturally piqued my interest. I spent some time yesterday looking into the matter by seeking out scans of the original manuals online. In doing so, I not only confirmed the truth of the comment – more on that in a future post – but also stumbled across something equally interesting.

I never owned Wizardry myself. When I played it, I did so on a friend's computer after having watched him play it. Consequently, I don't think I ever saw the game's manual or, if I did, I have no recollection of doing so. That's too bad, because the manual contains notable artwork, like this one, depicting the four basic character classes:

Then, there's this illustration, depicting the four elite character classes:
Leaving aside the very odd illustration of the samurai – he looks more like a soldier in Cromwell's New Model Army than a Japanese warrior to me – what immediately caught my eye was the bishop on the far right. He reminded me of this famous illustration from the AD&D Dungeon Masters Guide:
I initially assumed that the Wizardry illustration was an allusion or homage to the DMG piece, since it seemed unlikely that the distinct appearance of the bishop's "miter" was an independent creation (unless perhaps they were both referencing a third source). However, the question was very quick resolved when I finally noticed the artist's signature – McLean. This was clearly Will McLean, the very same artist who provided all those humorous little cartoons scattered throughout the Dungeon Masters Guide (though he is erroneously credited in the Wizardry manual as "Will Mclain."

This discovery made me happy, because I've been a fan of Will McLean's cartoons for years. I'll post some additional examples of them in an upcoming post.

11 comments:

  1. it's funny; the first thing I thought when I saw the first picture, before I read a word of the post, was "That picture reminds me of Will McLean!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Papers & Paychecks"... hahaha!
    What a great serendipitous find! I'll always love the art, from serious to comic, of the 1st edition!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm guessing that "third source" is the work of Moebius https://kreatedbykrause.blogspot.com/2020/02/moebiuss-arzach-animatedpage-2-panel-3.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always assumed that Wizardry's samurai class was originally supposed to be a ranger (the hat is the key tell, IMO).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes sense. Also, it's odd that the elite classes don't align with the core classes. It seems like the Moebius Bishop should be some sort of Wizard instead, so each core class is represented among the elite:

      Priest -> Lord
      Thief -> Ninja
      Fighter -> Ranger
      Mage -> Wizard

      Delete
    2. The Bishop was changed to Wizard in the NES version of Wizardry. That was at the point where Nintendo was really clamping down on religious language and imagery in games, with Dragon Warrior III's "Priest" class being changed to "Pilgrim." (Somehow, "Cleric" made it through Wizardry unchanged; perhaps Nintendo's approval team didn't know the word?)

      Delete
    3. The "elite" classes in Wizardry were more like hybrids of the base classes than straight upgrades, with the exception of the Ninja.

      Bishop = Mage + Cleric
      Samurai = Fighter + Mage
      Lord = Fighter + Cleric
      Ninja = Thief + instant kill chance

      For the Samurai, Lord and Ninja there was also a rare weapon or armor that only that class could use: the Muramasa, Garb of Lords and Shuriken respectively.

      Delete
  5. I'd love to see more about Will McLean. My AD&D1e rules/house rules folder is entitled "Papers & Paychecks" with that comic on the front cover.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never played Wizardry, but saw the ads forever. This is a cool discovery! Loved his work in the DMG. I wonder how he became involved with TSR and why he didn't do more work. I guess TSR dropped the cartoon humor from the manuals after the DMG.

    ReplyDelete