Monday, September 16, 2024

Things That Go Bump in the Night

Back at the end of June, I wrote a post about the representation of bugbears in the various TSR editions of Dungeons & Dragons. My examination of the topic revealed that, by and large, bugbears had a fairly consistent appearance over time, unlike, say, orcs. On some level, that made sense, since bugbears, as a distinct "type" of monster, are unique to D&D. They don't have a clear folkloric origin, leaving to TSR's artists the responsibility of establishing what they look like.

While looking through some old issues of Dragon magazine, I came across an advertisement from Ral Partha that showed off some miniatures sculpted by Tom Meier, including some identified as bugbears. Here's one of them, as shown on the Ral Partha Legacy website.

Seeing this figure awakened some old and forgotten memories. Though I never owned any of Ral Partha's bugbear minis, I saw them in one of the glass display cases at a hobby shop and found them strangely unnerving. There's something about the combination of oversized ears, goggling eyes, large, leering mouth, and spindly, apish body that I find unpleasant on some subconscious level. I'm not really sure I can explain it, except to say that I find these take on the bugbear creepy and nightmarish – maybe I'm easily frightened.

Despite this, I was glad to have been reminded of this miniature. I remain very committed to the idea that good fantasy is and indeed should be frightening. I can't help but feel that fantasy, as a genre, has become increasingly domesticated to the point that it's becoming boring. That needs to change. We need more terrifying monsters and horrific situations in our fantasies – and in fantasy gaming. Perhaps this is a topic worth returning to next month, as Halloween approaches.

7 comments:

  1. This has a very similar look to modern portrayals of Gollum, I’d say. The slightly squinted eyes remind me a bit of the lizardish Rankin Bass version, but the coloring is more similar to the film version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my first thought as well. and if you look at the OED definition of bugbear- a cause of obsessive fear, irritation, or loathing, well Gollum fits the whole thing.

      Delete
  2. That's a good figure; the sinister, deranged glee is very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m currently reading my way through wfrp the enemy within, and, apropos, couldn’t agree more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Naw man, that's no bugbear, that's a spider ape. I'm stating clan of these terrifying leerers right now to spring on my players this weekend. They definitely have "reach."

    ReplyDelete
  5. That little evil thing looks like the Zuni hunter named "He Who Kills" from Trilogy of Terror.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its quasi-infantile face & torso (also proportions, as babies have big heads & small bodies), combined with the extremely adult (knobbly, muscular) limbs is disconcerting. A bugaboo, I think.

    ReplyDelete