Friday, April 25, 2008

New Perspective on Open Gaming

My friend and frequent partner in crime pointed me to this article from an IT-oriented site that touches on issues relating to possible outcomes of the whole GSL fiasco. It's also an interesting read because some have argued that the existing OGL depends entirely on WotC's continued goodwill to work, which is nonsense and this article makes it clear why. Whatever the ultimate form of the GSL -- and we still have no idea what that form might be -- the OGL is and will remain a safe haven for anyone wishing to keep alive and develop the v.3.5 rules, as Paizo is showing with their Pathfinder RPG. There's really nothing WotC can do to stop that and I don't think they have any interest in trying. I have little doubt they'll do everything they can to discourage people from following in Paizo's footsteps, but I the chance they'll attempt anything legally? Nil.

No comments:

Post a Comment