Saturday, August 8, 2009

Cursed Chateau Art Show

Artist/curator Timothy Hutchings has collected a disparate band of contemporary artmakers, including performance artists, digital artists, sculptors, painters, musicians and various in-betweens, all united by a direct or indirect relationship to role playing games such as Dungeons and Dragons. Hutchings has shoved these artists into the unaccustomed role of illustrators for the role playing game adventure book "The Cursed Chateau", written by James Maliszewski.

The participating artists include Chris Bors, Olaf Breuning, Jeffrey Brown, Kitty Clark, Alex DeMaria, Don Doe, Giovanni Fenech, Andrew Guenther, Ketta Ioannidou, Josh Jordan, Matt Lock, Fiona Macneil, Chris Patch, Jason Phillips, Owen Rundquist, Rebecca Schiffman, Siebren Versteeg, Todd White, Sherry Wong, and Steve Zeiser. Also contributing are the old school game illustrators Pixie Bledsaw and the renowned Erol Otus.

Concurrent with the exhibition at the Indianapolis Museum of Contemporary Art will be a related booth at GenCon, a yearly gaming convention hosted in Indianapolis. GenCon is the most important game event in the world, attracting tens of thousands of visitors and acting as a platform for major industry releases and premieres. This year, GenCon runs August 13 - 16, more information on the convention is available at www.gencon.com.

iMOCA is free to the public and open 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. every Thursday through Saturday and is located in the Emelie Building at 340 North Senate Avenue.

Opening August 14
6-9PM


Exhibit runs August 14 - September 26th

9 comments:

  1. this is so great.

    a few years ago, a friend and I put on a music + theatre event based on The Lost City and a few of the degenerate Cynadecians. he's in Chicago and I'll encourage him to go down for this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I wish I could go see this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll add my "wow". Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great, I am so glad I live down the road in Bloomington!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll actually be in Indiana (not for GenCon - haven't been since '86) while this exhibit is showing. I think I'll check this out, thanks for the heads-up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck, James!
    Put something out on the net for us to see!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hew, I know Owen...if you meet him, say hi from Zak.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow --- with a cutting edge art show based on your work at a museum with a GenCon tie in, can respectability coupled with a tenured position in "Simulation Studies" at a major University be far behind for James Maslewski? If that appeals, I sure hope so!

    Congratulations! I doubt I'll be able to make the trip, but I wish I could. Look forward to seeing the book!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey folks, I'm Tim Hutchings, the guy that helped arrange all this. There will be a booth for Indy MOCA at Gen Con proper, #214 I think. I'll be manning it most of the time, stop by and say "Hi".

    There will be walking tours leaving Gen Con at 1pm each day and moseying over to the museum. It's only a few blocks, and museum entrance is free.

    There are a lot of really neat artists in this, I hope it turns out pretty neat.

    ReplyDelete