Friday, August 28, 2009

A Favor

I am absolutely terrible at desktop publishing, so I'd like to ask a favor of any of my readers who's got even the slightest bit of savvy.

What I need is a single page that includes twelve blank tables, each of which has twelve rows on it. This page needs to be readable by Open Office, my word processing program. I simply cannot get the program to produce this and it's undoubtedly because I am simply an idiot when it comes to tech-related matters.

For bonus points it'd be great if the tables were themselves numbered and divided into two columns. What I plan to do with the tables is use them to create 144 different possibilities by rolling two twelve-sided dice, the result of the first roll indicating which table to check and the the result of the second indicating which row on that table to check.

If someone could do this for me, I'd be in their debt. Thanks in advance.

6 comments:

  1. I wasn't 100% clear what you wanted but I sent you what I *think* you were asking for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same here. One or the other should work...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know how you feel! The option panels in Open-Office is a cluster-f*%k of icons. It sometimes hard to remember what all of them do! Creating all those tables for my homemade Mutant Future Screen was a real learning experience, and an exercise in frustration!

    Well, I learned the hard way, so I'm now good at it. I just got finished making the table you described (best to my understanding), and I'm seding it off to you as soon as I can.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Send me an email if the previous commenters didn't send what you needed. I think I can get the job done but, having just returned home after the post-game drinks am too tired/drunk to proceed in the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you have a few solutions in hand now, but one handy trick to deal with this sort of layout is to lay it out as one large table, then use invisible cells to manage spacing. It's often a lot easier than trying to tweak a bunch of separate tables around.

    ReplyDelete
  6. For layout purposes, I'd recommend everyone give Scribus a look. It's a free (open source) attempt at recreating Quark or Pagemaker.

    ReplyDelete