Friday, October 30, 2009

Thanks, All

Thanks to everyone who took the time to send me birthday wishes yesterday. I was frankly overwhelmed by how many people took the time to drop me a note for the occasion. I also received a few gifts from unexpected quarters that I also appreciated, particularly since, at my age, I no longer expect gifts on my birthday.

Most of my celebrating occurred last weekend rather than yesterday, but I did get to go out to dinner with my wife and children to mark the day. Much as I'd like to say that I "feel different" after reaching this milestone, I find that 40 is much like 30 (or 21 or 18 or 10, for that matter) -- yet another day I can be grateful for my undeservedly good life. Thanks again to everyone who contributed to it.

5 comments:

  1. Belated HBD! I'm 43 and i still get gifts from my wife, friends and in laws. I tried to put a stop to it a few years ago, but to no avail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bah come on J! We all get tons of interesting essays, ideas, interviews, stories, reviews, and much more, for FREE. The least that everyone can do for you is to wish you a happy birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your birthday, well deserved good wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's odd. I didn't find 40 to be a big milestone. 42 hit me hard, though, for some unknowable reason.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Terribly sorry for being abit out of the loop, James, I have been out of it with the flu for three days and I am just crawling out of a deep flu-inspired malaise this afternoon. I hope you had a superior 40th! Mine was in June, and as low key as I could make it, although my mom ended up in the Intesive Care Unit a week later.

    ReplyDelete