Thursday, June 15, 2023

Creating Fonts

How difficult is it to create a font set from a set of characters? I ask because, with the help of Zhu Bajiee, there is now a script for the Onha language of my Secrets of sha-Arthan setting and I'd like to make wide use of it in the production of the game. Having a custom Onha font set would help with this considerably.

However, as is usually the case in these matters, my technical know-how is exceedingly limited. I don't know the first thing about the creation of fonts, which is why I'm prevailing upon my readers to point me in the right direction. 

Thanks in advance!

6 comments:

  1. Long ago, I used fontforge to create a TrueType font for <a href="http://www.hoboes.com/library/downloads/Biblyon/HighlandElvish.zip>my cartouche-inspired Elvish script</a>. It requires artistic ability that I do not have, but it otherwise worked well. Fontforge appears to still be active.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wrote an article just about this topic a month ago:

    https://vladar.bearblog.dev/creating-fonts-with-inkscape-and-fontforge/

    And there will be a follow-up one soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's a program called Glyphs that is for font design

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a number of cheap options online, including yourfonts and calligraphr. There are others I've used in the distant past, but need to look up the link

    https://www.calligraphr.com/en/
    http://www.yourfonts.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. d6 table of fonts
    1: Times New Roman: this bored ancient yet fresh legionnaire wants leave; if you use this font, LEAVE!
    2: Font of endless holy water: this font always refills as you take holy water out but you may be accused of heresy if you use it to put out a fire.
    3: Rivendell: this is the Last Homely Font East of the C.
    4: Font of knowledge: always has snarky answers and acts like a sage.
    5: Arial: in search of losing its beautiful tails and becoming human this font is naïve but pleasant.
    6: Calibri: sans serif is a great thing to be until Billy the Kid walks into town.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Papyrus — This font is actually a cursed magical item. Once used, you will forever be mocked by the Guild of Scribes & Mapmakers.

    ReplyDelete