Tuesday, June 20, 2023

White Dwarf: Issue #78

I've got to be honest: reading White Dwarf for these posts is not as much fun as it used to be. Partly, I think I'm simply tired of the magazine, which I've been reviewing for almost two years now. At the same time, I'm finding the individual issues are much more miss than hit, in no small part due to the shift in content toward games that don't interest me very much. That's not necessarily a comment on White Dwarf itself. However, the end is nigh for this series. I'll try to tough it out till issue #80, so I can end it on a nice round number. Any more than that is beyond my patience.

Issue #78 (April 1986) features a cover by Chris Achilleos and a new editor, Paul Cockburn. Prior to coming to White Dwarf, Cockburn was an editor and writer at TSR UK's Imagine, which ceased publication in October 1985, with its thirtieth issue. In his editorial, Ian Livingstone, states that "it looks like everything is changing around here except the name" and he's not mistaken. The whole look of WD is different with this issue – the graphic design is more "professional" and there's a lot more color, for instance. Whether that's good or bad is a matter of taste, I suppose. I can only say that, for me, these "improvements" are a vivid signal that the times, they are a-changin' and I hate change.

With this issue, "Open Box" abandons numerical ratings for its reviews, which I applaud. As commenters have repeatedly pointed out to me, those ratings were not made by the reviewers themselves but by someone on the magazine's editorial team, hence their frequent inconsistencies with the actual text of the reviews. The first product examined is Night's Dark Terror, which the reviewer liked as much as I. Cthulhu by Gaslight is also reviewed positively, though somewhat less enthusiastically. The Nobles Book for Pendragon receives an even more muted thumbs up, while Dragons of Glory is recommended only for "the Dragonlance fanatic," which, I think, is quite fair. 

Paul Mason's "Cosmic Encounter" is not, strictly speaking, a review of the classic science fiction boardgame. Instead, it's an overview of the game's rules and play, no doubt with an eye toward enticing readers to purchase Games Workshop's new edition of the game. Dave Langford's "Critical Mass" is, oddly, more readable now than in previous issues. Whether that's due to a better layout or the fact that Langford – in this issue anyway – reviews fewer books, I can't rightly say. It's a pity that, with one exception, none of his reviews stuck with me. The one that did, for Gary Gygax's Artifact of Evil, which Langford criticizes for its "brutalities visited upon the English language" and for being little more than "an AD&D campaign write-up." I wish I could disagree.

"Solar Power" by Gary Holland is an occasionally amusing bit of original fiction about Norbert Parkinson, a man whose maladaptive development leads to a psychosis in which "he lives in a world occupied by elves, goblins, dragons, evil wizards and diverse other fantasy figures ..." It's fun enough for what it is, I suppose. Meanwhile, Graeme Drysdale's "Ashes to Ashes" is supposed to be "a closer look at resurrection in AD&D." In fact, it's a fairly cursory examination of all the magical spells by which a character can be returned to life in AD&D (reincarnation, raise dead, and resurrection) along with some comments and advice about their advantages and drawbacks. Again, fine for what it is, but nothing special.

Peter Tamlyn's "The Pilcomayo Project" is an adventure for Golden Heroes. The scenario is long – 7 pages – and takes place in Bolivia, where a Neo-Nazi supervillain and his robot stormtroopers are attempting to locate the legendary city of El Dorado. It's four-color nonsense, of course, but probably enjoyable in play. I find it notable, though, that, unlike previous superhero scenarios in White Dwarf, this one is not dual statted for Champions, only Games Workshop's own Golden Heroes – a sign of the times, no doubt! 

"The Spunng Ones!" by Marcus Rowland is an adventure for Judge Dredd the Role-Playing Game. This is another long one (8 pages) but it's absurd in a way that only a Judge Dredd story can be. A gang of criminals have given an experimental food additive called "Spunng" to a group of "fatties." Spunng converts their fat deposits into rubbery flesh that is also bullet proof. The fatties the engage in a crime spree the player Judges must stop. As I said, absurd, but that's Judge Dredd for you. "'Eavy Metal" takes a look at Judge Dredd miniatures and includes photos of a Sector 306 diorama built for Games Day '85. As always, it's a pleasure to see the amazing work others put into their miniatures.

This issue includes a full-page "Gobbledigook" comic, along with a re-telling of The Lord of the Rings had "Thrud the Barbarian" been involved. Hint: it doesn't go well for the Dark Lord. Sadly, the issue also marks the end of "The Travellers" comic, which had long been a favorite of mine. If I didn't already have other reasons for wanting to give up on this series, the departure of "The Travellers" might be sufficient.

Two more to go, two more to go. I just need to keep telling myself that ...

14 comments:

  1. I kept my WD collection up through 89; 90 was when they switched from staple binding to glue, so it made a good break point, though there is still some RPG material into the 90s. I think the Scenes from Courtly Life follow up was the last good article. Anyway I'd recommend sticking with it through 89 if you can. Tragically, I only started reading WF at #84 then spent many years collecting the back issues!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "At the same time, I'm finding the individual issues are much more miss than hit, in no small part due to the shift in content toward games that don't interest me very much. "
    I gave on WD before this, for the same reason. I think that I have one later issue, because it had a decent AD&D adventure in it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! Thank you for expressing my thoughts about re-reading old RPG magazines. I thought perhaps that there was something wrong with me. I have tried to re-read Dragon and White Dwarf, but soon find my mind wandering. Maybe because, as you said, the games under discussion are not the games I'm interested in. Or maybe the mindset of gamers in the eighties are no longer as refreshing as they were. There is so much new content available that I find I have a difficult time engaging with this old information. Other than the occasional adventure, I find most of the discussions tiresome. Thank you for doing this review so I don't have to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you ever considered reviewing JTAS?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not, mostly because it's narrowly focused on a single game. That said, I have much love for JTAS, so it might be worth considering nonetheless.

      Delete
    2. Perhaps Challenge would be a better choice if it's teh narrow focus that concerns you. Or do JTAS (which doesn't have that long a run anyway) and just keep going into Challenge.

      Alternately, SHADIS has received rather poor coverage online and has become largely forgotten these days, which is ashame.

      Delete
    3. If I had access to Shadis, I'd be very interested in reading it. I only ever saw it briefly during its run, so this would be a genuine education for me.

      Delete
    4. You can buy pdfs of the early Shadis from KenzerCo at about their old cover price:

      https://kenzerco.com/product-category/other-games/shadis-magazine-other-games/

      And you could read them and many more for free on the Internet Archive:

      https://archive.org/details/shadismagazine/Shadis%20Magazine%20%2310/

      Not quite all 53 issues available, but quite a lot of the run. If nothing else it's one of the last of the truly independent gaming mags to come out, with quite varied coverage of different companies' games instead of devolving into a house organ as so many did.

      Delete
  5. This has been an enjoyable series that I'm sorry to see winding down. Your takes on the RPG cosmos during WD's print run are as fascinating as they are diverse.

    I felt like the gaming world hit a wall in this period, with the marketing bug and the drive to demigoddery getting the better of many good producers and players, respectively. But YMMV.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I get excited by the covers. Then my interest fades. So I get why you would be even more burnt out having to read a whole magazine and I'm just reading your recap.

    Thanks as always.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There are some interesting bits in White Dwarf #80 to #100, but not much for the D&D fan. I covered the first 100 White Dwarfs (and Owl & Weasel) a few years back, and it was a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm actually more of a nostalgic fan of WD in this era (and well up into the 100s) than the earlier patch. It becomes a house organ, granted, but in the 80s Games Workshop was still pretty novel and far more creative than the corporate greed machine they've become. This is also the era where we finally got a FLGS that stocked a truly wide array of miniatures (including GW) and my love of that hobby really took off. Prior to that it was very hard to find anything beyond a few fantasy RPG figs and (weirdly) some of the Valliant Enterprises starship minis, anything else called for mail order that kid me couldn't really do. Suddenly we had a shop that carried pretty much everything - Grenadier, Ral Partha, Martian Metals, a slew of different historical minis ranges, and later on the FASA Trek and BTech ranges. Quite the eye-opener for me and my gaming circle.

    The loss of more varied content was a blow, but unlike most of you what replaced it was very much to my tastes and would remain so for years to come. It wasn't until the magazine really degenerated to support just the two big minis games that I stopped buying regularly, although I did start skipping a bit once the WFRP support died off completely. Even then they'd suck me back in with the odd Epic article, which was always quite popular in these parts - more so than WFB by far and rivalling 40K.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Even if you don't want to cover whole issues after #80, you should least check out the WFRP adventures coming up in the following dozen or so issues. They include some of the best short scenarios of all time, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seconded. Some good stuff there. I bought WD faithfully up until it became clear that they were done running WFRP articles, at which point I started getting much more selective.

      Delete