Wednesday, June 21, 2023

Retrospective: The Forest Oracle

According to the scheme I laid down long ago in Ages of D&D, the year 1984 is the start of the game's Silver Age. The hallmarks of this age are a concern for "dramatic coherence" and "believable" worlds, as well as an esthetic of "fantastic realism." Despite this, Carl Smith's AD&D module, The Forest Oracle, released during the first year of this new era, possesses none of these hallmarks, being instead, by turns, mundane, nonsensical, and – worst of all – dull. 

On the face of it, this is precisely the kind of module I should like. I'm a professed admirer of low-level adventures, particularly those featuring rural communities beset by the forces of Evil. It's not for nothing, after all, that I judge Gary Gygax's The Village of Hommlet not merely a great module, but my favorite of the game's Golden Age. To my way of thinking, there's something particularly appealing, indeed almost mythical, about the set-up of so many of these low-level adventures that I can't help but look on them beneficently.

The premise of The Forest Oracle is that the Downs, "a hidden vale farmers claimed from the wilderness long ago" lies under a curse that causes fruit to rot, plants to die, and animals to flee. When the characters arrive in the Downs, they meet a kindly old wizard, Delon, who tells them that he believes a "gypsy witch" pronounced the curse after the people here refused to aid her. He then asks the characters to travel into the Greate Olde Woode – no, I am not making this up – to visit the druids who dwell there. Perhaps their powers will be able to lift the curse. (Delon is unable to do this himself, because he is old and feeble.) 

What follows is a series of linear wilderness encounters and fetch quests, as the PCs are shuttled from place to place to the accompaniment of badly written boxed text. I give the module points for even having wilderness encounters, since that's not common in low-level scenarios. I'm also willing to cut it some slack regarding its blandly atrocious naming practices (Greate Olde Woode, the Downs, the Wild River, the New Wilderness Road, Quiet Lake, etc.), because it's explicitly intended to be easy to integrate "into any existing campaign," since it's "an independent adventure, and not part of any series." Presumably, this is meant to make it easy for the Dungeon Master to insert in his own setting, replacing the insipid names with more appropriate (and flavorful) ones. 

Unfortunately, The Forest Oracle is just so straightforward and unimaginative that, even grading on a curve, it's still an almost complete failure. I say "almost," because there are glimmers of clever ideas here and there, like the flesh golem used as a guard by an ogre or the nymph who needs help in freeing her lover from an enchantment, but they're often handled in the most banal (and occasionally nonsensical) ways. It's almost as if the writer went out of his way to choose the least interesting versions of every idea he came up with. A perfect example of this is the hackneyed "gypsy curse" aspect of the adventure. I assumed that the story Delon tells about this is untrue or at least misinformed in some way, since it'd open up other possibilities for the true cause of the blight affecting the Downs. Nope! Madame Riva is responsible for the curse, though she regrets it now and aids the characters in removing it – but only if they do a favor for her first ...

It's all so tiresome. Back and forth, bouncing around from quest giver to quest giver, funneled from one linear locale to another, battling fairly typical low-level enemies – orcs, goblins, giant rats, and so on. Now, to be clear, I don't dislike such enemies; what I object to is their being used in trite, unimaginative ways, which is exactly what we get here. Again and again and again. The cumulative effect is enough to overcome my natural tendency to want to "fix" even a bad adventure module, to find some way to use it as the "raw material" from which to build something more to my taste. 

Compared to many, I'm generally quite forgiving of this sort of thing. I don't enjoy trashing a game or a module. I derive little pleasure in pointing out the missteps of a designer or writer, perhaps because I know only too well how easy it is for something that sounds great in one's mind to go terribly wrong in the process of committing it to paper. I'm not sure that's what happened to The Forest Oracle, but I simply don't care. Looking around online, I discovered that I'm not the only person who feels this way about the module. Indeed, I discovered, much to my surprise, that The Forest Oracle is widely considered among the worst Dungeons & Dragons adventures TSR ever published. I'm not sure I'd go that far Castle Greyhawk is right there, after all – but there can be little argument that it's very, very bad.  

30 comments:

  1. I always wanted this as a kid, because it looked kinda cool, and had the word Oracle in it (I'd been lucky and visited Delphi when younger). But when I did finally get, as you say, it was a bit dull. Hypothetical question: I've really enjoyed the White Dwarf retrospective series - as an interested scholar, how does one acquire such a digital archive for academic or research purposes? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a copy of the White Dwarf back issues CD-ROM that was released in, I believe, Australia earlier this century. However, it's no longer available and copies of it are scarce and expensive. I don't think anything comparable exists presently, alas.

      Delete
    2. IIRC, they were released as a test and then withdrawn from sale for legal reasons.

      I don't think they will ever be republished.

      Delete
    3. Thank you! Guess I better keep my eyes peeled to see a copy shows up on eBay or somewhere similar.

      Delete
    4. There's also outright piracy if you want to be a scofflaw. There are scans of quite a few older WD issues scattered around online. Nowhere near everything, but enough to at least get a firsthand idea of what it was like.

      Delete
  2. I'd be more forgiving of this module if it was for basic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the cover and the red goblins. I'm not sure about the wife beater mail shirts, but it's clearly the best part of this module.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This module is SOOOOO BAD. Badly written. Bad encounters. Bad everything. We gave it the MST3K treatment in my old Roll for Initiative podcast. I believe this modules sparked a thread on EnWorld that continues to this day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. The only good part of this module was the ever resurrecting thread on ENworld. I no longer am a member of the community , but that thread must be 15- 20 years old by now.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for mentioning that thread. I hadn’t seen it before and, boy, did I laugh my ass off.

      Delete
  5. As you said, this module is not *the* worst of TSR, that's Castle Greyhawk, which felt like a middle finger to the fans. But N2 is certainly *one* of the worst. The often-mocked text describing the approaching bandits is an example of its very poor writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "A group of seven men approaches. They are following the road east, and are making good time, neither tarrying nor running. Their faces are expressionless. One is dressed as a cleric of some sort, and another is dressed as a traveling drummer. The others could be peasants or serfs going from one location to another for the harvest season. Each carries some sort of weapon. It is plain that they are not soldiers by their haphazard way of walking. They do not seem to be joking loudly or singing as they advance."

      A cleric of some sort? WTF does that mean?
      "They do not seem to be joking loudly or singing as they advance." Why does that even need to be mentioned?

      Delete
    2. I wonder what else they aren't doing. Does it list the other things? None of them are knitting. Not one takes a harmonica from his pocket and plays. You see none of them encourage the others to participate in a game of hopscotch.

      Delete
    3. "A cleric of some sort? WTF does that mean?"

      Big silly pope hat, of course. :)

      Delete
  6. The point is to pad the word count out to reach the minimum size for a module. "A group of seven armed men approaches, one in clerical garb" is a lot fewer words then what was in the module. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. And of course, the unanswered question is, why? Was there a dearth of good adventures in the hopper? Did TSR just need to make a quick buck? There were certainly talented writers and editors at TSR during this time period, so why publish something of such obviously poor quality?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Having attempted to run this module at least twice, I can attest that the "nonsensical" and "dull" adjectives are accurate. The adventure does not play better than it's written...it plays worse, even run with the railroad filed off. Ran it as a teenager, ran the thing as a middle-aged man...both times my players abandoned the thing about halfway through.

    The worst bit is probably the six mile tunnel that no low-level party is going to have enough torches/lamp oil to explore at the standard subterranean movement rate. Just a sign that by 1984, TSR really wasn't paying much attention to the mechanical aspects of their own game and simply wanting to "tell a story."

    Ah, well. I kind of love the vibe of N2, but it is poorly done and there isn't much of anything worth salvaging in the module. Cover is nice, though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your statement "It's almost as if the writer went out of his way to choose the least interesting versions of every idea he came up with" brings to mind the difference between the original small-press Quest for the Fazzlewood (1978) and the revised version TSR published in 1984 as the second half of "O1 The Gem and the Staff". The republished version is a blandification of the original. As a simple example, in the original you play Athelfrogg - in the revised version you play Eric the Bold. A duller name it would be difficult to conceive of.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad you are back! I just found out and I'm catching up. During the pandemic I had the opportunity to do quite a bit of work on the Blackbirds RPG. Would love to know what you think of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid I'm unfamiliar with this game. What is it?

      Delete
    2. I believe it’s non-sequitur product placement.

      Delete
    3. It's not product placement. I love Grognardia and have been reading it for years and I'm a big fan of James. I honestly wanted to know what he thinks about it since it has some OS themes. But go ahead and delete these comments, I don't want to be accused of shilling.

      Delete
    4. Never heard of it before. Looking it up, I am unreasonably disappointed that it isn't an RPG about my old high school's basketball team. Go, Blackbirds. :)

      Delete
  11. It's a horror fantasy RPG based on the Zweihander system. I wrote the magic rules and the Stormbringer game from the 80s was one of my inspirations. The blackbirdsrpg.com link redirects to the kickstarter, but we are also blackbirdsrpg on twitter and instagram.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is the only adventure of my "collection" (paltry by most standards among the observers here) still entombed in original packaging, buried deep in a garage in Orlando. My girlfriend at the time gave this to me in 1988; I thought the cover illustration was so childlike - whereas B2's cover was effing awesome in the same vein - that it was dismissed as a primer module for new players. I thanked her with a kiss and went back to practicing The Sentinel from Judas Priest on a crappy electric guitar. I have never turned a page in the adventure. It sounds like a bad peanut butter and banana sandwich to me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Some background on this module that I came across doing research for The Fantasy Trip: N2 was in origin another proposal by Kevin Hendryx that was originally made to TSR when he worked there, along with "Against the Cult of the Reptile God." Both of these module ideas were also proposed to Metagaming when Kevin came back to work there. It is not clear if the N2 module was in origin part of the rewrite to the original Secret of Bone Hill manuscript (a story of its own) like the Reptile God module, or a separate proposal altogether. It is also unknown is whether this was the title proposed to Metagaming, or if Kevin called it something else (the Cult of the Reptile God was proposed to Metagaming as "The Kanirvan Conspiracy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting. Was Forest Lords of Darokin involved here anywhere, or an entirely unconnected product that just happens to share "forest" in the title?

      Delete
    2. Forest Lords of Dihad. Completely unrelated - the Dihad module was published by Gamelords , along with Warrior Lords of Darok for the Land Beyond the Mountains TFT campaign. There was, I think, a D&D module with Darokin in the name

      Delete
  14. I actually have a soft spot for the Forest Oracle. It was one of the two modules a kind aunt got me when I was 13 (in the 80's) and starting to get my feet wet in D&D and RPGs in general. I've actually run it two or three times since then and my groups always had a great time with the relatively simple adventure. I think it was aimed at beginner DMs and beginner players, to be honest. As kids, the instructions were easy enough to follow for a novice DM, and the adventure being more or less on rails helped noob players understand exactly how a game might go.

    By contrast, the other module my aunt got me was Descent into the Depths of the Earth, which was clearly aimed at more experienced groups and which took me ages to wrap my head around way back then.

    TL;DR, TSR probably needed to market their products better back in the day, but for a group of young teenagers just starting out in RPGs, it was a welcome adventure that was easy to run right out of the box and we were glad to have had it. Plus, osquips: my players found those things terrifying!

    ReplyDelete
  15. (I never removed the wrapping from The Forest Oracle) I/We regarded The Caves of Chaos in that same sandbox-simplicity vein so I respect your experience. As our cartography skills gained strength in future games, partials of the Descent maps were actually repurposed for COC types of side games. I should add here that none of my gaming partners had access to Hommlet as a campaign launch-point, but we did have Restenford and Saltmarsh for adventures on land and sea. As these conversations continue I find it fascinating how each enthusiast found their way to the classic game, and the initial tools that were used, and how they were cultivated for extended play as our groups and tastes changed. I was 13 in 1985. For the first time in my literary life I am starting to consider the gamers beyond the game. The story of What Brought Us Here.

    ReplyDelete