Wednesday, June 28, 2023

The Nerdish Accent

Anyone who knows me also knows that I'm a stickler for proper spelling, grammar, and punctuation. This is an obsession of long standing, going all the way back to my childhood. As to its origin, I cannot truly say, except that, growing up, I used to spend a lot of time reading the copy of The Random House Unabridged Dictionary of the English Language that we kept in our living room. That tome, with its gilt title and thumb index, certainly played a role in my fascination with alphabets and writing systems, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if it likewise influenced my enduring love of language. Of course, a much simpler explanation is simply that I read a lot as a young person, like most nerds of my generation (or, come to think of it, the generations before mine). The books I read, especially the fiction, often included unusual, exotic, and highly specific words of the sort that Gary Gygax employed in his own writings. 

While my reading vocabulary was naturally enriched by the grandiloquent authors whom I favored, that didn't always translate directly into speech. It's one thing to know what a word means, but it's another thing entirely to know how it's pronounced. I can distinctly recall my youthful mispronunciation of the word "dilettante," for example, and it was far from the only example of where my literary precociousness had not given me a concomitant verbal acuity. If my own experiences are any guide, this was a fairly common occurrence. The "nerdish accent" is a highly individualized thing, but its one certain characteristic is that it reveals a person whose vocabulary, acquired through wide reading, is quite large but whose ability to pronounce much of that vocabulary is quite limited, owing to his never having heard the words spoken by another human being. 

My friends and I would often argue with one another about the way that some obscure word used in Dungeons & Dragons was pronounced, like dais or grimoire or guisarme (not to mention made-up words of the sort that appeared in the Monster Manual). This would inevitably lead us to a dictionary to determine the truth of the matter, assuming that the word wasn't too obscure to be found there. What's interesting is that, even to this day, I still regularly encounter nerds of my vintage who mispronounce words in this fashion. Though my inner pedant bristles at this, I simultaneously find it a charming reminder of my own younger days, when I, too, did not know the proper way to pronounce many of the words I read. 

The nerdish accent seems less common among those much younger than myself. Instead, what I notice is a rather different phenomenon: the inability to properly spell a word that one has only ever heard spoken by others. On those occasions when I look at forums, for instance, I regularly see the most bizarre misspellings, like "persay" for "per se," which suggests to me that audio and video are now much more important in the transmission of knowledge than they were in my day. A nerd of the past would have been much more likely to mispronounce that Latin phrase (as "per see" perhaps) than to misspell it. Nowadays, it seems like it's the spelling that's the source of error, not the pronunciation.

I suppose this shift – if indeed it is a shift – points to the influence of the Internet. Personal computers barely existed in my own childhood and the Internet wouldn't become widely accessible, let alone a driver of popular culture, for decades after my own fascination with language began. Books were the only means I had to learn about most topics of interest to me. That's less the case now and I suspect any decline in the prevalence of the nerdish accent might reflect the weakening of the primacy of the book, though it's a complex issue and likely has many causes.

33 comments:

  1. If you want some practical examples of this, there are some real doozies to be found in audiobook versions of older fantasy and scifi novels. Listening to some folks struggle through Vance or Hodgson or CAS can be equal parts amusing and depressing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've listened to a few CAS audio recordings and it's frequently painful.

      Delete
    2. I don't blame audiobook readers for struggling with made-up words like place and personal names, but when they're tripping over basic (albeit rarely used) English words like "scintillant" I do have to question their qualifications a bit.

      Delete
  2. I think the shift to post-literacy is even more recent than "the internet", which for its first decades was largely a textual medium -- if anything, the internet of the 1980s-2000s drove increased literacy during an era in which TV was the dominant medium. It was only with the rise of online streaming video (Google acquired YouTube in 2006) that the internet started to become a largely post-literate medium.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a very interesting point I hadn't considered.

      Delete
    2. Pretty sound argument. I consume a lot of media through youtube and you can track a slow but steady decline in basic vocabulary skills over time. Older content frequently puts newer material to shame in terms of writing. If you look at the comments on vids covering (say) Old Time Radio dramas or audiobooks for authors with "difficult" vocabularies (eg Vance, CAS, EE "Doc" Smith, Lovecraft), there's an ever-increasing number of "what the hell does WORD mean?" as the years pass. Youtube viewers didn't start off lazy and ill-educated, but they seem to be getting worse - which is inexcusable when you're already online and looking up definitions and proper pronunciation is maybe twenty seconds of effort.

      I was always taught that encountering an unfamiliar word was a learning opportunity. Has that stopped being a thing despite the ease of doing so now that everyone carries all human knowledge on their phone?

      Delete
    3. In the late 1990s there were a lot of online multiplayer games, but very few people had the bandwith to support voice chat. The result was that if you wanted to communicate to someone in a fast-paced game you could either use an in-game message from a menu of options like "Hey" or "They've captured our flag!" etc. If you wanted to actually communicate you had to type and in a face-paced game that led to abbreviations.

      For those of you older than 60, think of it as a secretary writing notes in shorthand. If you're not familiar, it was a method of abbreviated writing used primarily by secretaries to take dictation.

      Very few people today can write and/or read shorthand and I suspect that as things progress we'll see less of the "ur" for "you're" stuff.

      I dunno tho, u?

      Delete
  3. (Not sure if my earlier comment was swallowed up by Blogger, here's a recap): Attributing declining literacy to "the internet" is a bit imprecise. Google acquired YouTube in 2006, kicking off the "internet video" era in earnest. Prior to that (1980s-2000s), heavy internet users were if anything more literate than the average denizen of the television age. The switch to post-literacy on the internet is less than 20 years old.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My wife, never a gamer, has the nerdish accent thing going on. At least a couple of times a year she'll use words she's read but never heard spoken and wil pronounce them incorrectly. She was a huge reader up until streaming came along. Or perhaps it was the kids! My daughter (14) seems similarly afflicted.

    What I've noticed as I get older is that my vocabulary is dynamic and not static. If I'm in an environment where people are older and smarter than me then I end up using older and smarter words. The opposite is true too. Hanging out with grognards has me using Grognard words outside of gaming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's probably always been true and maybe you're just now noticing the dynamic vocabulary thing. I know I've been consciously adjusting my speech patterns since first grade when I was criticized in a parent-teacher conference for displaying "inappropriate vocabulary for my age" and making the teacher's job harder. That bit of idiocy really stuck with me, and I still make a point of reading the room with strangers before making assumptions about their grasp of English.

      Delete
  5. The first time I ever came across the word "neophyte" was in 6th grade reading the DMG, and I thought it was a specific term for beginning D&D players coined by Gygax.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For all of Gygax's highfalutin use of words, let's not forget he gave us the infamous typo "% in liar" which lead to all sorts of arguments over whether Lawful creatures could lie to you when found in their lair.

      Delete
    2. That's one of those comical errors that turns out to be more interesting than the intention.

      Delete
  6. I thought I was going to get a dissertation on how to pronounce the word, "melee," in this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That one was complicated for me because my 8th grade biology teacher was a guy named Mister Mele. And yes, he pronounced like the proper form of melee. Still have to correct my spelling once in a while because of him.

      Hell of a good bio teacher, though.

      Delete
  7. Having discovered D&D and AD&D in the late 1979s, I'm similarly afflicted. My affliction is compounded by growing up in a first generation American household!

    ReplyDelete
  8. For me it's the other way around.
    Having english as a second language and italian as first I sometimes struggle with rather common swords (as a kid I couldn't wrap my head around "weapon": my first attempt was "weepohn") but things derived from greek or latin are usually safe.
    I wince every time someone writes "per say" ;P

    ReplyDelete
  9. At my workplace the word "mnemonic" is used frequently (as it's the name given to a feature in the computer system we develop). Unfortunately nearly everyone pronounces it "pneumonic" which really winds me up! They have clearly only ever heard the word used at work by people who mispronounce it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There’s an exchange in Disch’s “Camp Concentration” when the protagonist first arrives at the camp and a prisoner (who has been made brilliant by the experimental fatal disease with which he has been infected, and henceforth has engaged in a lot of reading) displays his intellect and challenges the protagonist to name a feat at which he thinks he could do better, The answer, of course: “Pronunciation.”

    ReplyDelete
  11. It all started going down hill when you Colonials started butchering the King's English. But, in all seriousness, whilst the pedant in me does get irritated by poor grammar and incorrect usage, I do like the fact that the English language seems particularly suited to adaptation and abuse....perhaps because it is a language that has borrowed so much from others and is, therefore, a hodgepodge of rules and exceptions to the very same rules.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is very funny and also a good point. Well said, and no offense taken.

      Delete
  12. My personal favorite was any magic items comprised of a braiser, which my teenaged-friends friends and I mistakenly pronounced as "brassiere." Make of that what you will.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's all true! And we had that same dictionary.

    ReplyDelete
  14. As someone who uses language learning techniques to memorize obscure vocabulary in his mother tongue, I can sympathize. Although not as much in the accent part, Spanish orthography, being much less arcane then English, let's you know how a word is pronounced 99,9 % of the time. imagining my rendering of even common English words, however, is left as an excercise to the reader.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I spent a decade living in Chile when I was younger and always appreciated the fact that...unlike English...there were no exceptions to the rules and that the vowels and letters were all pronounced in exactly the same way. I taught English for a while and remember an example of how crazy letter and word pronunciation is....'ghoti' could be pronounced 'fish' if you take the 'gh' from 'enough', the 'o' from 'women' and the 'ti' from 'nation'.

      Delete
    2. Oh man, that is so true.

      Ghoti = fish is almost a D&D puzzle in its own.

      Delete
    3. That reminds me of a speech synthesizer for the Apple II (yea, amazing to get recognizable speech out of clicking a speaker on and off). I had recently seen "ghoti" so I tried it and the speech synthesizer pronounced it "fish", I'm pretty sure it was coded to detect that, I don't think algorithmically that would have come out as "fish".

      Delete
  15. Gore Vidal, in his novel Lincoln, has the president reminiscing with an old friend that as youths they always mispronounced the word sword as they had never heard it spoken. I can't imagine Gore being economic with the actualite. Ironically I have no way of accenting that on my tablet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And at the other extreme, we have from Gene Wolfe’s Shadow of the Torturer, “He mispronounced quite common words: urticate, syrpinx, boudeaureau.”

      Delete
    2. And amusingly enough, you have misquoted these words: "urticate" is accurate, but the others should be "salpinx" and "bordereau".

      Delete
    3. My memory is not Severian’s equal.

      Delete
  16. I'm 23 and I definitely have a nerdish accent. Whether because I'm slightly older than the generation that dropped it or mostly not being online till later than my peers, along with preferring text media to audio based, I don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Elocution exercises are fun when mixed with nerdy words. "Everyone knows that liches have stitches in their britches, and we all say 'how, now' to the brown drow, but for some reason, nobody likes that the kobolds cobbled cobblestones while the goblins gobbled gobbledygook."

    ReplyDelete