Wednesday, August 28, 2024

Retrospective: Crossbows and Catapults

My childhood circle of neighborhood friends was quite large and included boys of all ages, some of them much younger than myself. For example, when I first discovered Dungeons & Dragons during the Christmas holidays of 1979, I was in the fifth grade, but my closest friends outside of school were a year or so younger than me. I also had friends who were younger still, often the little brothers of my other buddies. Being preteen boys, age didn't really matter all that much to us, because we all, more or less, enjoyed the same pastimes and it was always better to have more playmates. This was especially so after we started playing D&D and other RPGs.

Even so, my discovery of D&D coincided with – and probably facilitated – my abandonment of toys or anything that to my youthful self smacked of being "kid stuff." Children in those in-between years of 10 to 12 are, in my experience, quite concerned with appearing to be more "grown up" than they were just a few short years before. This concern can manifest in the ostentatious rejection of overt symbols of their childhood, like toys, games, and other entertainment that don't match up with their nebulous conception being older. That's certainly how it was for me.

Of course, having a friend group that included lots of younger boys provided a convenient excuse to transgress these arbitrary new boundaries between "kid" and "grown up" from time to time. My youngest friend was another's brother and he was about four years younger than me. Though he played D&D with us (and did so very well) he still unapologetically kept one foot in childhood, playing with those little G.I. Joe action figures – everyone knows the "real" G.I. Joe is 12 inches tall! – and other early '80s toys that the rest of us publicly eschewed. Our looking at and admiring his toys was no sin against our newfound maturity, since we weren't playing with them, you see. Such fine distinctions were very important to us and we did our Pharisaical best to maintain them.

Even so, there were egregious exceptions and Crossbows and Catapults was one of the bigger ones I can remember. Released in 1983, when I had just started high school, Crossbows and Catapults was simultaneously the kind of "family game" that I'd never have bought for myself, but was secretly happy had been given as a Christmas gift to my friend's kid brother. As we often did, my friends and I spent the Christmas break visiting one another's homes and passing judgment on our holiday hauls. We'd also use it as an opportunity to try out anything we deemed worthy of our time.

Crossbows and Catapults had rules, but I honestly cannot recall them. Even if I could, I'm fairly certain we never made much use of them, preferring to do our own thing with it. The game is supposed to be played by two players, but it was very easy to change this to two sides, which is what we did. Each side – Vikings or Barbarians – is given a number of little figurines, plastic blocks and structures, and a rubber band-powered ballista ("crossbow") and catapult that fired chunky discs that reminded me of checkers. To be played at all, you need a large, open area with a fairly flat surface, preferably an uncarpeted floor. We used to play on my friends' basement floor or on the ping-pong table we also used for Car Wars 

As I said, Crossbows and Catapults had rules, but we preferred simply to build up walls and castles from the plastic bricks, place the figures, and then take turns shooting at them with our ballistas and catapults. We'd done this before with army men when we were younger and had great fun with it. Now, thanks to the cool little plastic siege engines included with the game, we could unleash a more potent – and accurate – kind of destruction upon the world. It was childish, of course, but that's probably why we had such fun with it. At that particular stage in our lives, on the cusp of or just entering our teen years, we thought were ready to leave our childhoods behind, even though, on some level, we clearly were not. Crossbows and Catapults afforded us the chance to be kids again without feeling self-conscious about it, which is why, to this day, I still have fond memories of this stupid game.

19 comments:

  1. I'm guessing maybe you saw this Kickstarter?

    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/restorationgames/crossbows-and-catapults

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, having seen this year's gencon coverage I was laughing as I read this post. I think there was a dinosaur themed variant on display also?

      Delete
    2. I got this as a Christmas gift in the 80's myself. It was tough finding enough floor room to play! And yeah, looking over the old rules, they were a bit over-complex; we just tried to hit blocks and knock things over.

      I pledged to the new Kickstarter and got the new one not long ago. It's very well made; the crossbows and catapults don't need rubber bands, the rules are much simpler, and it has bonus cards for extra effects, hero units, etc.

      Delete
  2. I'm surprised I never heard about this game before. The ten-year old in me would have loved it and I would have been right on board there with your rules 'modifications'. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems to me that the combat resolution in this game is not all that unlike the one prescribed by H.G. Wells for his Little Wars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure the designers were familuar with Wells, or at least a game design copied from Wells.

      But more generally.

      The Little Wars rules are so straightforward abd intuitive, I'm sure they've been reinvented thousands of times on bedroom and rumpus room floors.

      Delete
  4. We had that game!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had this game! Like you, the rules were so vague that we just built walls and shot at each other. My brother and I probably incorporated it into our usual Saturday morning play while watching cartoons. We'd spend hours building up sides, usually Space Lego or Star Wars & Micronaughts (always versus the evil Playmobile Empire.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah yes, “come along fellows, these tiny army men are kid stuff…let us go do grown up things, like pretend to be knights and wizards”. I sometimes wonder what I would say to my younger self if I met them. “Don’t act like you aren’t a kid too” would be high on the list, but lately the one I’ve settled on is “when you get older, the comics you love but get made fun of for loving will be all Hollywood wants to make movies and tv shows about…and there will be so many that you won’t want to watch any of them”. I expect I will then create a paradox, as my childhood brain explodes and I cease to exist.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, I was just thinking about this game, it was a lot of fun! I think I may have the pieces of it scattered across my possessions. The little block things were great when trying to do miniatures back in the early days.

    The Heretic

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alberto Struzzi presented a young Felipe with an army of miniatures and a rules book. A shame this is not more well known in the Anglosphere https://crossfireamersfoort.wordpress.com/2012/06/18/illustrious-wargamers-philip-iv-of-spain/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I got this game for Christmas of '83. I was 12 at the time. Man, it was really fun to play. Pro tip: double up on rubber bands and the discs hit with extra ooph! Wish I still had it. Too bad the Kickstarter is over.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember the pre-Christmas adverts for this game. As much as I wanted it, my parents were quite happy to say that it was plastic tat and I wouldn't be getting it from Santa.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was in my mid-20's and was saving for children I did not have yet to get braces and go to college before I learned of a (planned) parenting strategy employed widely by the adults in the neighborhood of my childhood. They often had two kids close together, and then a third child (optional) five years farther down the line, the strategy being to spread the crushing weight of college costs by not having three children in university all at the same time. Years later my wife and I employed the same strategy and none of this is relevant except that when I grew up the younger kids were clearly clearly younger and toys and even blankies were the norm. And if any harm came to that child while he/she was in your care, you could expect doom. Jackals eating your face doom. Vultures. Now go play!

    Somehow while avoiding doom and excess trips to the emergency room for stitches or snakebite treatments a game emerged called Chaos Marauders. I think it had British extraction: it used the term "git" which hit us oddly like the use of Fanny or Fag (not what you think).

    It was a huge amount of fun. The illustrations were fantastic and I remember each campaign taking on a unique character a la No Two Games Alike. Somewhere on the fourth floor of a storage unit down in Orlando FL I may still have that game.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had the base game and the Trojan Horse/Battle Wagon expansion. My best friend had the base game and the Battling Giants expansion. We had some epic battles as kids!

    ReplyDelete
  13. "This concern can manifest in the ostentatious rejection of overt symbols of their childhood, like toys, games, and other entertainment that don't match up with their nebulous conception being older."

    My experience might have been the other side of that coin. I distinctly remember losing interest in past play things, with no desire to go back, in this order: action figures, toy guns, toy soldiers. When I started D&D in the summer before my 5th grade year, I expected my interest to go away in 2-3 years as it had for each of those other items. But four years later I was still playing, expecting to "grow out of it" any day. I was largely done by 11th grade, after six years of play, but returned to it decades later. I definitely went through distinct stages, and only the last one - RPGs and wargames - stayed with me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. “When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.“ –C.S. Lewis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Precisely so. The older I got, the smarter my father became.

      Delete
    2. That Lewis quote, in its entirety, is evergreen for hobbyists.

      Delete