Thursday, August 8, 2024

Retrospective: Revolt on Antares

While I've briefly touched on TSR's 1981 mini-game Revolt on Antares a couple of times before, I've never done a proper Retrospective post on it. I've decided to rectify that this week, both because it's an excellent, fun-to-play little hex-and-chit wargame and because, of all TSR's mini-games, it's the one with which I had the most experience playing. Consequently, I've got a lot more to say about Revolt on Antares compared to its seven sister games published over the course of 1981 and 1982.

Before getting to the game itself, I'd briefly like to draw attention to its place within the history of TSR. Revolt on Antares came out in '81, during a time when TSR was rapidly expanding both its release schedule and its ambitions. Though Dungeons & Dragons remained the company's bestselling line of products by far, there seems to have been genuine concern that its popularity was faddish and could not be sustained forever. TSR, therefore, began to experiment with other games (and approaches to games) as a hedge against the possible collapse in interest in D&D.

Mini-games, like Revolt on Antares, were part of that experiment. Coming on a clear plastic case, the game consisted of a short, 16-page rulebook, a sheet of cardboard counters, a colored map, and a pair of dice. Tom Moldvay designed the rules, while Kevin Hendryx served as its developer. Graphically, it makes full use of TSR's stable of young artists, like Jeff Dee, Dave LaForce, Erol Otus, Jim Roslof, and Bill Willingham, all of whom I'd consider representative of this experimental period in the history of the company. Dee's cover is especially memorable to me, probably because of how I often I played Revolt on Antares with my friends at the time.

As wargames go, this one is quite simple – but that was a big part of its appeal to me. Though I knew a lot of guys into wargames in my youth, I never really devoted much effort to playing them myself, with a couple of exceptions here and there. For the most part, this was simply a matter of not being sufficiently interested in wargames to devote the time necessary to learn and play them. I'd much rather have been playing roleplaying games than the Rise and Decline of the Third Reich

What immediately appealed to me about Revolt on Antares was its science fiction setting. I've been a huge fan of SF since I was a young child, growing up in the immediate aftermath of the Apollo program and watching reruns of Star Trek on a grainy black-and-white TV with my aunt. And, of course, like all little boys at the time, I was a fan of Star Wars. The combination of these facts with my TSR fanboyism made it perhaps inevitable that I'd purchase Revolt on Antares almost as soon as I saw it. 

The simplicity was, as I've already noted, a plus, especially when compared to other SF wargames I attempted to play around the same time. The rulebook quickly establishes the basic scenario:

Imirrhos, ninth planet of the star Antares, lies on the edges of Earth's Imperial Terran Empire. As the Empire grows weaker, Imirrhos boils with unrest and intrigue. The seven local ruling families (or "houses") fight for power. Some want the Terrans to leave, others need Imperial support. A few know of the Silakka, an alien race that is waiting to invade ...

The rulebook then offers up three different scenarios for play. The basic scenario is for two players and concerns the revolt against Terra. One player takes the role of a house leader leading the revolt, while the other is the Imperial Terran consul, who is attempting to crush the rebellion. The second scenario is also for two players and concerns the defense of Antares against the invading Silakkans. The third – and, in my opinion, most fun – scenario is for 2 to 4 players, with each player taking on the role of one or more houses as they jockey for control of Imirrhos. 

A big part of the appeal of Revolt on Antares are its characters. Each of the houses is led by a character with both a name and a unique ability. For example, House Orsini is led by Messalina Orsini, whose power of fascination enables her to subvert the loyalty of opposing units, while House Edistyn is led by Nureb Khan Edistyn, whose precognition ability allows him to roll two dice instead of one in combat, taking the best result. In addition, there are "Galactic Heroes" whom you can recruit, like the assassin Corvus Adromeda and Dr. Death, who can animate the bodies of fallen units as zombies. These heroes act much like house leaders in their use but may be recruited by any faction. There are also ancient alien artifacts, such as the Force Cannon and Energy Drainer, whose possession and use adds yet more mayhem into the mix.

Looking back on it now, it's clear that what made Revolt on Antares so appealing to me was its world building. Though the information Moldvay provides about Imirrhos and its inhabitants are as brief as its rules, they are surprisingly evocative. Names like Black Dougal Mackenzie or Ward Serpentine possess a certain mystery that made me want to know more – and, in the absence of such information, my friends and I imagined it for ourselves. That's precisely the stuff from which good games are made and, by that standard, Revolt on Antares is a very good game.

From a purely objective perspective, it's nothing special. As I keep saying, the rules for combat and movement are very, very simple. I'm sure long-time wargamers would justifiably scoff at their lack of depth. I can't really argue against such judgments, except to say that I had a blast playing Revolt on Antares again and again, each time coming up with new ideas about the implied setting of the game – not bad for a little game published four decades ago!

21 comments:

  1. BtW Chris Conkle of Lightspeed fame wrote a free Revolt on Antares rpg based on Warrior, Rogue, Mage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Link and development thread over here:

      https://forum.rpg.net/index.php?threads/best-system-for-a-revolt-on-antares-rpg-read-the-thread-op-makes-a-whole-game.889923/

      He also just finished up a Buck Rogers XXVc semi-clone using White Star, thread here:

      https://forum.rpg.net/index.php?threads/its-my-birthday-different-systems-for-settings-my-heartbreaker-setting-buck-rogers-xxvc.913722/

      Delete
    2. Link to Uprising on Antares-9 https://geekrampage.itch.io/uprising-on-antares-9

      Delete
    3. I just made Uprising on Antares-9 available as print-on-demand physical books from lulu.com.
      https://www.lulu.com/shop/christian-conkle/uprising-on-antares-9-book-1-character-creation-and-game-rules/paperback/product-84k2zmg.html?page=1&pageSize=4

      https://www.lulu.com/shop/christian-conkle/uprising-on-antares-9-book-2-power-talents/paperback/product-dymvyy7.html?page=1&pageSize=4

      https://www.lulu.com/shop/christian-conkle/uprising-on-antares-9-book-3-vehicles-and-chases/paperback/product-yvnpvzk.html?page=1&pageSize=4

      https://www.lulu.com/shop/christian-conkle/uprising-on-antares-9-book-4-enemies-and-allies/paperback/product-zmkpm8p.html?page=1&pageSize=4

      https://www.lulu.com/shop/christian-conkle/uprising-on-antares-9-book-5-adventures/paperback/product-w4vp4v2.html?page=1&pageSize=4

      https://www.lulu.com/shop/christian-conkle/uprising-on-antares-9-book-6-gazetteer-or-imirrhos/paperback/product-7k97k94.html?page=1&pageSize=4

      Delete
  2. Jeff Dee's amazing cover art went a long way to drive interest for this little game! A guy with a sword and a blaster in a great composition.

    And agree about the evocative names. I love Imirrhos. It's like something out of Moorcock's Young Kingdoms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The centerpiece art remains my favorite Erol Otus piece of all time. Wouldlove to see him revisit that one in color someday.

      I see more Darkover influence in the setting than Young Kingdoms, but MZB was a monster so I try to ignore it. Still, contending noble houses, each with a psionic gift associated with their bloodline, ruled over from afar by a Terran empire? That's some serious Darkover vibes there.

      Delete
    2. I agree.

      I meant the name itself, not the place. The unnecessary double R, and the similarity to Imrryr evokes the Young Kingdoms to me, in a good way.

      Delete
    3. Oh, right. Yeah, I can see that.

      Delete
    4. IIRC, the name is taken from Tom and LJS' original Known World campaign.

      Delete
    5. @JEFFB I believe so, yes. I've seen it mentioned in relation to Mystara a number of times in the last year or two.

      Delete
  3. Great retrospective, James!

    Have you ever come across an article or series of posts on the whole micro/mini game movement back in the day? Everyone seemed to be doing them, and the TSR offerings seemed late to the show.

    I'd love to read about how it all fit together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And then maybe kick a wasp nest by talking about King of the Tabletop!

      Delete
    2. I still prefer KotT to the WEG KIngs & Things game. You had to put in some craft work to mount and clip all the the counters, but adding those hexes did not improve gameplay any compared to the more abstract original system IME. Just made it slower to finish. Although I will concede the added terrain types and units to go with them were nice.

      And really, I'd happily play either game again pretty much anytime. Just be a little more happy with KotT.

      Delete
    3. We actually made index cards (cut in half) for all the components, turning them into cards complete with color-coded stickers and icons for magic, ranged and first strike. Almost seems like we had a good idea there in the 80s.

      Delete
  4. I was always more of fan of the Microgames from Metagaming and Steve Jackson (one of the few times my brand snobbery for all things TSR flagged), and so never picked this up. But looking at "Revolt" now, it is hard not to see this as a scifi mini-me of TSR's epic "Divine Right."

    That too had great world-building and colorful characters on chits to help the many factions battle for control of the map, as well as enough background for those that needed a ready-made RPG setting for a D&D campaign.

    PS — speaking of Microgames, would love to see a retrospective on Melee/Wizard/The Fantasy Trip. Just sayin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I can see that. There's precious few wargames that share that "there's more to this setting than just a backdrop" vibe, but Divine Right and Revolt On Antares are two of them in my book. They're right up there with Dragon Pass, Swords & Sorcery and (as an outlier) Bloodtree Rebellion.

      Dwarfstar had a few games that come really close for me too. Star Smuggler and Barbarian Prince are a little too obvious, but Demonlord, Grav Armor and Star Viking come really close to evoking that same feeling - and Dragon Rage definitely would if anything had non-generic names.

      Delete
    2. Bitd I player with my brother some GEV and quite a lot of Ogre.
      Designing your own scenarios was a lot of fun, and the expansion packs went a long way in making the games long-lived.
      Battlesuit was something of a let down though.

      Delete
    3. Battlesuit (with some minor tweaks) makes a better miniatures game than a board game IME. Kind of suffered from lack of support, where Ogre/GEV got tons of it over the years.

      Artifact is another microgame that translates really well to minis play IME. Use it pretty much as-is on a lunar table/mat with Ground Zero Games' nifty 15mm Moongrunnt figures.

      Delete
  5. I can’t wait to order ‘Uprising’! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "The star Antares lies on the edges of Earth's Imperial Terran Empire." Interesting that that same statement can be made of three other empires as described in GDW's "Library Data" supplements for Traveller. Is there a common inspiration?

    ReplyDelete