Friday, November 5, 2010

Petty Gods Update

I've already gotten quite a few submissions for the Petty Gods project, as well as even more offers to do illustrations. I can't say how happy I am that this endeavor has generated such enthusiasm within the first 24 hours. However, the project has also generated some questions, so, in an effort to clarify at least some of these matters, I offer this brief update:
  • Sample Entry: I'll post a sample entry tomorrow, for those who are still unclear what I'm looking for.
  • Entry Length: As I noted previously, there's no upper limit on the length of an entry, but shorter is always better. Given the number of submissions it looks like I'll receive, I may not be able to accept them all, in which case length will become a bigger issue, with shorter entries being viewed more favorably than longer ones. As ever, a brilliant idea will always trump the format, so don't feel constrained if you think you've got a really good idea.
  • Total Number of Entries: I honestly have no idea how many entries I'll accept. In a perfect world, I'd like to be able to accept each and every one, but that might not happen for one reason or another. Getting an entry in early is no guarantee of acceptance BUT, if two people submit similar ideas, assuming they're both equally good and I can't find a way to use them both, the earlier entry will get the nod. However, in such cases, I'll do my best to work with both writers to find a solution to such a problem.
  • Tone: Several people asked me about the tone of this project, whether I meant it to be serious, silly, or something in between. I'd rather not limit the creativity of anyone by saying absolutely what I will or won't accept. In general, it's true, my tastes veer more toward the "serious" end of the spectrum, but, contrary to caricatures of me, I do have a sense of humor, so I wouldn't summarily dismiss an entry about the god of flatulence or the goddess of go-go dancing if it were well-done and of obvious use in a campaign. That said, I prefer "weird" gods to outright goofy ones.
  • Art: I'll start sending out assignments to individual artists once I have enough submissions that I know I'll be accepting. Most such art assignments, though, won't come till next month or January, so, if you're an artist and your time is limited, let me know now, so I can aim to get you assignments when it's most convenient for your schedule.
And that's about it for the moment. I'll answer any other questions as they come up.

6 comments:

  1. Regarding similar entries, if that is in regard to two deities of swords or fire, I'd say use both of them if they're good...weirdo, petty gods have no monopolies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool! I have the first draft of my entry done and will wait for your example, before wrapping it up and sending.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking forward to the sample. I'm between art commissions at the moment so I'm itching for a project.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never seen a copy of Unknown Gods. Do the descriptions mention the special abilities of individual gods? Also, are the petty gods presumed to have any standard divine powers attributed to their status as gods did in Deities & Demigods?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sent off a few. That was a fun exercise, definitely looking forward to the compiled results - a book of sub-gods definitely would be an excellent fit in my little made-up world.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do the descriptions mention the special abilities of individual gods? Also, are the petty gods presumed to have any standard divine powers attributed to their status as gods did in Deities & Demigods?

    There are no standard divine powers. These petty gods are basically powerful (or not) monsters who happen to claim jurisdiction over some idea/concept/location, etc.

    ReplyDelete