Monday, May 9, 2011

A Preview

Here's a piece of art by Kelvin Green I wanted to share. It's an illustration of a statue of Turms Termax that I just adore, but that probably has as much to do with how much I like Kelvin's style as it does with the subject matter.

And, yes, before anyone asks, the inscription at the base of the statue "isn't right." That's because it's written in Latinulo, a Latin-based auxiliary international language created at the turn of the 20th century. It's basically a simplified, regularized version of classical Latin and I've adopted it as a stand-in for Thulian, much in the same way as I adopted Esperanto as a stand-in for Lingua Terra in Thousand Suns.
©2011 Kelvin Green

8 comments:

  1. Kelvin's work is great. You can check out some work Carter commissioned from him on 4 Dimetrodons and a Sloth of Death here:

    http://carterscartopia.blogspot.com/2011/04/d-for-dimetrodon.html

    http://carterscartopia.blogspot.com/2011/04/s-for-sloth-of-death.html

    Great composition and perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say, writing in Latinulo may actually be cooler than getting the Latin correct. And I say that as somebody with a master's degree in Latin literature.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelvin is one of my favorite OSR artists. Love his style.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd never heard of Latinulo -- neat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. James, this makes me want to ask:

    1) What's the status of your Dwimmermount campaign these days?

    2) How are things progressing on you releasing Dwimmermount as a setting?

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Dwimmermount campaign is on semi-hiatus, meeting very irregularly owing to the move of one of its key players. We did have another session recently, though, and I'll post about it soon.

    Things are progressing very well in my plans to release Dwimmermount as a setting. I've finally hit on a format I like and spent a lot of the past weekend working on the first release. However, Petty Gods has my immediate attention, since I'm hoping to get it out sometime next month.

    ReplyDelete