Thursday, June 30, 2011

Mail Call

Mail service having resumed this week after a two-week strike, I've been receiving a number of packages that had been trapped in limbo. One of them was the Black Blade edition of OSRIC, which, so far as I know, is nearly identical, content-wise, to its predecessor, but is much more sturdily bound and contains more artwork.

Here's a shot of the cover.
Looking at its spine, you can see this one is one thick (386 pages) and solid tome.
And here's just one of the new pieces of art included in the book (by Brian "Glad" Thomas).
All in all, it's an impressive package, all the moreso because it sells for a mere $26.00. I'm not much of an AD&D guy these days, but I can't deny that, reading through this today, I felt some of the same electricity I feel when I first opened up my Players Handbook way back when. I'll be talking more about this edition of OSRIC in the days to come; it really is a remarkable piece of work.

19 comments:

  1. I've got the SC version on the way myself (and I too am glad the strike is over as I'm awaiting OSRIC, Stars Without Number, Red Tide, Polychrome, and the collected Dying Earth books by Vance :) ) I was dearly tempted by the BB edition of OSRIC but I decided that since there was little chance I'd ever actually play the thing (or any other rpg sadly) I would be better off just going the less costly route and using the difference to get another book as well...

    Ftmp, I actually prefer soft cover books anyway. But the Black Blade edition looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks sharp. But I'm happy to say that my softcover, Lulu edition is still going strong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The big change is that this hardcover version now qualifies as a blunt instrument and does 1d3 damage with a +1 bonus if you are trying to stun your opponent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely illustration by Brian Thomas--thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks very nice. I'm not sure I'll get it... Oh, what the heck: I'm weak, I know I will. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Btw it was a lock out not a strike in regards to the mail.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wait...isn't this the kind of overly-produced, art-padded product that epitomises what's wrong with the modern role-playing industry :) ?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wait...isn't this the kind of overly-produced, art-padded product that epitomises what's wrong with the modern role-playing industry :) ?

    I could post some photos of the many, many, many pages of OSRIC without any art whatsoever, if you'd like, but I hope you'll take my word on it when I reply simply, "No."

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the snazzy red endpages too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. D'oh. Anyway, the cover is compelling! I'll have to take a look at OSRIC eventually.

    Also, I'm glad the strike is over and things are getting back to normal. I'm still waiting for things...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love my OSRIC book. I hope they do an OSRIC PHB someday.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the "oh, hell naw" look on the guy in the bottom right corner's face. You better believe he takes owlbears seriously now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Excellent owlbear. Makes me want to check out the book all by itself.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Got nothing but love for this imprint.

    ReplyDelete
  16. *tries not to crack*
    But, but I have my 1E books and LL/AEC....
    Argh!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was gonna order this book, but $19.00 for shipping? Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Here's hoping that we will have retailer carrying this merchandise at OSCon!!! As lulu does not work for me.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I got this and one of their hardcover monster supplements. I have to say the whole thing is extremely impressive.

    ReplyDelete