Friday, March 9, 2012

Google+ Dwimmermount Game Tonight

As I mentioned the other day, I'm going to be running another session of my Dwimmermount megadungeon tonight between 9pm and 12am EST on Google+. At present, there are two spots available for interested parties. If you're interested in securing one of those spots, there are a few things you need to do:

1. Be available tonight during the specified time above.

2. Have access to Google+. You don't need to have a webcam, though it is encouraged.

3. Be a backer of the Dwimmermount Kickstarter -- it doesn't matter how much you've pledged.

If you meet all of those requirements, post your interest, along with your Kickstarter ID, to this thread on my G+ stream. Around 6pm EST, I'll randomly determine who gets the available slots (along with several alternates) and contact the people in question. They'll need to confirm their availability with me via email before 9pm EST. Otherwise, I'll offer up the slot to an alternate person.

And that's it. I'll be doing this every week for the foreseeable future, so, if you don't snag a spot this week, there will be plenty more opportunities to do so.

6 comments:

  1. The Google form and spreadsheet in the Kickstarter update #4 (visible only to backers) are also good ways to post your availability for G+ Dwimmermount sessions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate to use terms like "OSR" or "gaming community" that vaguely group people together, but I think it would be of great benefit to people writing RPG material, running games, playing games, or trying to interest new people in roleplaying games if there was a good method of allowing "spectators" into sessions. The "renown" of Dwimmermount is an obvious attraction.

    The best solution I can think of is recording sessions. I wouldn't be shock the see Google+ figure out a streaming option or if there are other options out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two options:

      1. (The method I use to do this: [1].) Record the desktop using regular desktop recording software [2]. Camtasia seems to have everyone's vote for Windows but I've never used it. I use Quicktime X on OS X. The software will either have to be able to record both system sound and line-in simultaneously, or you need a way to mix them before sending them to the recording software. (I do the latter using this [3] method on OS X.)

      2. Google does offer "Hangouts on Air" [4] which records straight to YouTube and allows spectators to watch live. This feature is not publicly available and I have no idea how to get in on the trial. I've seen an astronomy group using Hangouts on Air regularly and it looks great.

      I think between the two I prefer self-recording because you have more control over the content (say, a player starts talking about his boss or kids) and it's easy to include your Twiddla maps etc in the recording. That said, if I'm not in that week's game, it doesn't get recorded, but it probably would be if Hangouts on Air was the regular method.

      --
      1. http://vimeo.com/album/1747378 `
      2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_screencasting_software
      3. http://plankhead.com/blog/2252/how-to-record-a-google-hangout-on-mac-os-x-for-free-with-free-software
      4. http://support.google.com/plus/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2390264&topic=1669480&ctx=topic

      Delete
  3. I was about to ask something similar...
    I don't know much about Google+ but is their a way to spectate (at least listen) without participating. This would be awesome, as in my youth I never had an older kid with plenty of D&D experience do the DM. It be cool to have that kind of teaching experience 15 years later.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck tonight, James. I wish I could play tonight, but 9pm is too late for this old man.

    ReplyDelete
  5. we need to already be in your g+ circles to see that link. Perhaps you could share your profile url so that the community could get to know you?

    ReplyDelete