Saturday, February 27, 2010

My Refereeing Hero

Sometimes you read an account of another referee's RPG campaign and you can't help but marvel at it and think, "That's who I want to be when I grow up." Blair over at Planet Algol is my refereeing hero these days. His latest post is a paean to the heady alchemy of random rolls, trusting players, and sticking to one's guns even in the face of seeming absurdity. As he notes:
And it all worked out in the end. Be true to your DM bad-assery. Follow through on your madness. Don't fudge the dice. Put the players through hell. If they're true, if they're tough, if they're the leather and iron that adventurers are made of, they'll eat it up and than say "That's all you got?"
Simply awesome.

1 comment:

  1. That's a great example of how to improvise an entertaining game from even the strangest of random results!

    Although unlike "fudging" dice for game mechanics stuff (attacks, saves, etc) that's the sort of table I think a GM should feel free to use however they like. Of course my own feeling is that there's not much point rolling dice if you're not going to use the results... ;-)

    ReplyDelete