Thursday, March 11, 2010

For Blair

In response to Blair's entreaty here, I present the froghemoth, old school-style and as open content. I was planning to use one of these critters in Dwimmermount anyway, so this gives me a good excuse to stat them up. If anyone wants to offer a different/better implementation of these creatures, have at it in the comments.

The material in the quote box below is hereby designated Open Game Content via the Open Game License.

Froghemoth

Number Appearing: 1 (1)

% in Lair: 30%
Alignment: Neutral
Movement: 30' (10')/Swim 90' (30')
Armor Class: 4 (body), 2 (tentacles), 5 (tongue)
Hit Dice: 16
Attacks: 6 (4 tentacles, 1 tongue, 1 bite)
Damage: 1D10 (tentacles), 1D8 (tongue), 4D6 (bite)
Save: F8
Morale: 10
Hoard Class: XIX
XP:
4,200

The froghemoth is a weird aberration that dwells in marshes and swamps. It appears as a huge frog-like creature with 4 large tentacles in place of its front legs, each with AC 2 and 20 hit points; a 10-foot long tongue, with AC 5 and 14 hit points; and a retractable eyestalk on top of its head. Its underbelly is yellow, its body green, and upper legs are mottled green. The froghemoth attacks using its tentacles and tongue to grab opponents. Grabbed opponents are shoved into the froghemoth's mouth.

A grabbed characters is drawn toward the froghemoth's mouth at a rate of 5' per round. He or she may break free by making a successful force doors roll, suffering a -1 penalty for every appendage of the froghemoth that successfully grabbed him or her (but a roll of 1 on 1D6 always succeeds). Those drawn into the creature's mouth suffer 4D6 points of damage immediately from its teeth and an additional 1d8 points of damage from digestive juices every round until either the grabbed character or the froghemoth is dead.

Froghemoths are immune to the damage of all electrical attacks, but are slowed for one round after each successful attack involving electricity.

10 comments:

  1. The Froghemoth is one of my all-time favorite monsters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This thing always terrified me when I first started playing. I had a killer DM, this guy Tony was savage. Liquidated 1/2 dozen of my PCs and when we hit this guy in a swamp in the middle of nowhere I knew right off I was a goner, sure enough 1/3 the party dies and the rest run away.

    I learned the true meaning of Fear and that even heroes DO run sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's no way I'd fight one...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny..It's listed in the Monster Manual II.

    ReplyDelete
  5. While the current wording is evocative, I think you meant to say that a froghemoth DWELLS in marshes and swamps.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it was the first beastie I used out of MM2.

    ReplyDelete
  7. *Punches the air* YES!

    Thanks James, you are a true scholar of grognardic lore as well as a gentleman!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Classic Otus.This is the one module I wish they made a sequel for.

    ReplyDelete