Monday, September 7, 2009

Dwimmermount Play by Post Update

I'll probably have close to 20 players in the end, so, for the immediate future anyway, I'm not accepting any more players to my Dwimmermount play by post game over at OD&D Discussion. If you haven't yet sent me your character's ability scores and I told you to do so, please try and get them to me as soon as you can.

Since Dwimmermount is a huge place, I plan to divide the PCs up into two (or possibly three) parties and have each of them enter the dungeon through a separate entrance. I think this will be interesting, since it's a style of play I haven't seen since I was a kid, even though it was fairly standard in the formative years of the hobby. Moreover, I know all too well that play by post games quickly and often suffer attrition. I imagine within short order that I'll lose more than a few of those 20 players. Of course, if I'm wrong on that score, I'm fine with that too. I rather find the idea of so many players interacting with the same dungeon environment, albeit in several groups, quite intriguing.

As I said, this should be an interesting experiment.

14 comments:

  1. Still waiting for my board membership to be approved. :\
    Hopefully you got my 2nd attempt at sending stats, James.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe I did get them. You're in regardless, since you expressed interest quite early, so no worries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was waiting for board approval for tossing my hat into the ring, but i too, am waiting for account approval. I guess i'll have to wait for the next round....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jason,

    If you send me your stats now, you can still secure a place in the game.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you think play by turns or in real time? Because I'd love to play, but live in Spain...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Play is by turns, typically about one turn a day. Right now, though, I can't really accept any more players, since I already have 20 and that's quite a lot more than I'd ever imagined I'd get.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They still haven't approved my membership over at the OD&D boards - am I still in? I'll roll up my stats in a couple of minutes and send them to you just in case.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Carl,

    Yes, you're in, since you asked before I closed off new characters. But do get the stats to me ASAP since I'd like to get the various groups assembled for my own ease.

    I had no idea this would prove so popular.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shoot!

    I have been thinking a while it would be really fun to play in a game with some of the bloggers I read, and the weekend I'm away at my parents place and away from anything like my D&D stuff I hear about this, and its closing. Damn.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Damn it! Im still waiting for the approval on the boards! Tell me I'm in too James!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Valandil,

    Yes, you're in. No need to worry.

    ReplyDelete
  12. While I was glad to see my PC's stats appear on the OD&D board today, my membership is still pending so I can't post any of my character build on that site at the moment. It does look like I won the "worst attributes" lottery, however! No score above 11, two 7's and a 5! Valandil's PC is close, but I think I edge him out. Luckily this is OD&D so my 7 str and con do not carry any associated penalties... Roleplaying a 5 charisma character will be an interesting challenge. I am pretty sure I am going to go with a female goblin thief who grew up idolizing the lawful order of human society and looking down on the squallor of the goblin warrens. Then, when she finally moved to a human city she experienced first hand the sting of both racial and gender prejudice and now finds herself between two worlds. She still longs to be accepted in human society but has had to take up with rough adventuring company because the more gentile members of the city turn up their nose at her. While she dreamed of being an architect, circumstances forced her into stealing and cheating at dice and cards for money, and she has been fairly succesful at that (my starting GP roll was the highest roll of my character!).

    She is short and scrawny even by goblin standards and often disguises herself as a deformed human child to beg for alms.

    James - what racial modifiers (if any) do Goblins get to the thief skills? Are they replacing Halflings in the Greyhawk supplement or are they another critter entirely?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Carl,

    Just use the hobbit modifiers for thief skills.

    ReplyDelete