Friday, September 25, 2009

Little Colored Books

James Mishler of Adventure Games Publishing has just produced 11 booklets that reproduce his PDF products in printed form, some of it for the first time ever. I have to admit I'm very fond of the smaller format of these booklets. Having spent the last nine months using the little OD&D books in my Dwimmermount game, I am completely convinced of the the superiority of this size, which is small enough to be able to keep at the table without cluttering it up. Plus, they're very handy for carrying around with me as I travel. I'd love to see more publishers adopt the format, so kudos to AGP for doing so.

7 comments:

  1. Fun! I have a few PDFs I need to make into booklets. This has inspired me to take up a weekend project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the digest-size format. "Big Eyes, Small Mouth" and Rogue Games' games are in an ideal format -- not just for tabletop playing, but for convenient reading while travelling. Were I to produce an RPG, I'd go for that format.

    security word: "Monroff." How a French nobleman addressed his dog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely! Also in digital form they neatly match the layout of the computer screen (2-pages at a time).

    http://deltasdnd.blogspot.com/2009/01/little-books.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Burning Wheel uses this format. I like it. It helps that a local (quite tasty) chocolatier uses boxes for their chocolates that are perfectly suited to contain digest sized booklets/books!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Forget booklet size, pocketmod (1/8th the size of of a standard size piece of paper) is where it's at! In my weaker moments I dream of a complete system that fits into this format*, can be printed at will and my players would be willing to try. I might never buy another game again.

    * No, Microlite20 is not complete, it assumes you know the inner workings of the original D20 system and is not written with new players in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of the things I like about the much-maligned Dragonlance: Fifth Age game is the mini rulebooks. It was the first time I'd seen a US rpg (Fighting Fantasy stuff was almost always paperback-sized) in such a handy format, and it won me over immediately. My copy of Labyrinth Lord is A5 sized, and I'm very tempted to take up the suggestion posted here a while back to print up the Masks of Nyarlathotep pdf in booklet form.

    ReplyDelete